Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a couple of bundles (75') of "PARACORD 550" at menards but come to find out, it's really paracord 110

At least it was Cheap

Anyhow, I was wondering about paracord resources, like a book or .pdf

@CamoDeafie you got anything? I was looking at your pup tent ideas and got me to thinking too. I really need more bugout preps, even tho the plan is to bug IN

I figured I can ax googiots or cut to the chase and ask the experts. Google is the suckage these days, all about paid ads and fake news.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
20,330 Posts
Never buy cheap cord. Never mind. Now just toss that crap in the garbage. Make some cheap keys chains or lanyards and give them away or sell them. Them buy the good stuff. There is better stuff out there then 550. I don't remember the name brand off hand but I have a couple of spools of it. Comes with wire and real fish line. Its packed away in dome tote.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never buy cheap cord. Never mind. Now just toss that crap in the garbage. Make some cheap keys chains or lanyards and give them away or sell them. Them buy the good stuff. There is better stuff out there then 550. I don't remember the name brand off hand but I have a couple of spools of it. Comes with wire and real fish line. Its packed away in dome tote.
Yeah, for the price, I figured it was ok for light duty stuff. It's even thicker than 550.

I'm just wondering where to get the real thing, I'm leary of Amazon cord, except it's also pricey on top of dicey.

The "better than 550" is close to the same size, isn't it? I saw an article or ad where they show it had more inner stands but that was a while back.

·
Premium Member
8,894 Posts
One of the great things about 550 paracord is the ability to make a gill net using the inner strands for the net and the outer sheathing to support the net.

First, look at the water and try to determine the type and size of the fish.
Based on the size of the fish will determine how large the squares you will tie.
Two inch squares are a pretty universal size.
Unless it's a small stream, then half inch squares may be necessary, tho tedious to make...
Using a wood bobbin will make it easier to tie the strands together.
Tie the ends of the finished net to a couple of long poles will make it easier to place the net across the water flow.

eldar

·
Premium Member
8,894 Posts
Yeah, for the price, I figured it was ok for light duty stuff. It's even thicker than 550.

I'm just wondering where to get the real thing, I'm leary of Amazon cord, except it's also pricey on top of dicey.

The "better than 550" is close to the same size, isn't it? I saw an article or ad where they show it had more inner stands but that was a while back.
Walmart sells the 850 cordage.

eldar

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
For strength, weight, and no stretch, Amsteel, Samson Rope's Zing-It, Lash-It, Dyneema cord are all awesome. I have two set of "whoopie slings" on hammocks made of a certain size Amsteel cord. They're usually found via boating supply places. Paracord... not much good use for load bearing if not the 550, or 750/850 stuff. 110s best for like bracelets, fashion, handle wraps, wherever load bearing isn't that necessary.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
20,330 Posts
The stuff I buy is 850 I think. The lighter 110 stuff is okay for cheap bracelets and key chains to give to people you don't really like. I used to sell really good key chains for work that had strong rings and clips at either end so staff had an extra tool to use if they needed to beat someone with it. Mine never broke the cheap ones did. Had another guy selling his version for a 1/3rd of mine. His broke and I made more money. I still have people ask for them now and again

·
Super Moderator
9,657 Posts
I have my share of paracord, but it’s not my favorite cordage. Type III cord is the one that’s rated for 550 pounds. There are types that range from 95 pounds to 750 pounds. The military quit using paracord in the 1990’s except for light duty binding.

Paracord has the advantage that it’s easy to untie, but the disadvantage that it stretches. IIRC the specs call for stretching up to 30%.
What this means is that the tarp you pitched taught last night is sagging the following morning. The more wind and rain, the more stretching you get.

I prefer natural cordage for most of my needs, and bank line for things I put together that I intend to stay together.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For strength, weight, and no stretch, Amsteel, Samson Rope's Zing-It, Lash-It, Dyneema cord are all awesome.

There we go! Brand names are helpful.

Sonny-Boi brought home a partial spool, OD Green, from the Corps. Wishing it had been full spool but it was free to me. >100'

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
Other cordage that can be of use for tarps and light duty; polypropylene cord in the boating and fishing sections. There might be spools of similar no-stretch braided leader lines for heavy fishing/offshore fishing but they are quite expensive.

·
Premium Member
36,314 Posts
If you double or triple the 110, it handles more weight.

I usually buy mine on Amazon through a store that sells real stuff, or at the local hardware store where I can touch it.

·
Premium Member
8,894 Posts

I usually buy mine on Amazon through a store that sells real stuff, or at the local hardware store where I can touch it.
Or,

Military surplus stores.

eldar

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
Or,

Military surplus stores.

eldar
two "surplus" stores out of the three that I go to... have spools from China :rolleyes: the one I like, has 20-50 ft hanks of actual USGI paracord from Type 2 flat core-less (LBV/ruck cord replacements) to the 850 ones, and rolls of cargo webbing such as used on USAF cargo nets, and hardware with remnants of 850 lines on them.

·
Premium Member
8,894 Posts
two "surplus" stores out of the three that I go to... have spools from China :rolleyes: the one I like, has 20-50 ft hanks of actual USGI paracord from Type 2 flat core-less (LBV/ruck cord replacements) to the 850 ones, and rolls of cargo webbing such as used on USAF cargo nets, and hardware with remnants of 850 lines on them.
Not all surplus stores are equal.

The Command Post, North of Houston, sells both 550 Paracord and 850 cord.

As well as cheap cordage.

It pays off to know what one is buying.

They also sell military uniforms, boots, packs, parachutes, assorted accessories.

My go to store for surplus.

eldar

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

DM me that info, please

Or post it here. Unless there is a new rule from the DOLs

·
Premium Member
36,314 Posts
DM me that info, please

Or post it here. Unless there is a new rule from the DOLs
What info? Go to Ace Hardware in Roosevelt, or Paracord Planet on Amazon.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts