6.5 Grendel AR build

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by MaryB, Apr 11, 2015.

1. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Well I couldn't pass up the $39 upper and $39 Anderson's on Aim Surplus. Will be $125 for the pair once I pay the $20 transfer fee. So my next AR build is under way.

After looking through all the available offerings it looks like 6.5 Grendel is a good hunting round for deer and other similar size animals out to 400 yards. Not quite as powerful as a .308 but the build will be about 1/2 the price of an AR-10. And reports of people using it on moose in Alaska means it will take anything I run into in MN!

I reload so cost per round is not that big of an issue and prices on the factory rounds are only about 20 cents more than similar .308 rounds right now.

As normal this will be a multi month project as my budget allows and what I can come up with via barter(my favorite way to acquire stuff!).

2. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

My shooting buddy has a 6.5 Grendel. Nice flat shooter and very accurate.

3. Pablo

Pablo Carbine Guy aka Zippy Member

Those prices how could you go wrong! I have a 6.8SPCII and love it but still would have bought that 6.5.

4. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Yeah I looked over all the available offerings, 6.8 was an option as was 7.62x39(mixed reports of it working well in an AR platform). With my main need being hunting and possible shots to 300 yards if I get to AK and hunt with my nephew the 6.5 won out.

Looked at a LOT of ballistic charts and ran a a few myself to see what was possible. While something higher power would be nice I will settle for a lighter recoil flat shooting round.