6 Weeks in town and I'm already got gigs....

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by neothespian, May 6, 2008.

1. neothespian

neothespian Member

Well, I may be back toiling at the cab company to make ends meet, but it only took 6 weeks to get back into the swing. While the pay sucks, I was asked (and it's always nice when they come to you instead of the other way 'round) to Stage Manage for the ChyroArts Theater's first production of the 2008-2009 season! It's an Alternative Theater non-profit venue that has some ROCKING directors and it's just what I needed to keep me slugging along. Sure, I won't be sleeping between working 60 hours a week at the cab company and 40 a week but I'll be alot happier.

2. Glad to hear you're back on the horse Neo. Now, get out there and break a leg! :D

3. Damm Neo you hop from one job to the next faster than a Mexican jumping bean LOL

Congrats on the new gig!

4. neothespian

neothespian Member

That's the curse of Theater: You're never more than 3 months away from unemployment!

Honestly it's the nature of the work. You're contracted on a "Per Show" basis. Some theaters, like ChyroArts, are great houses that I have NO problem with working for again, but last time I was a designer and this time around I'll be their Stage Manager. I've worked for theaters where I was a chief stagehand for one show and the Technical Director for another, and even an actor in between for one run :shock: It's a bit unsettling and hard to describe to someone who thinks that a good job run is something akin to 20 years with a certain firm, and to me a good run is an extra 3 weeks.

But, the key is to get your reputation built so that you have another gig lined up the minute (or sometimes DURING) the current production you are working ends. The good artists network, the bad ones expect agents to do it for them. When you learn how to find work on your own and support a family on it, THEN you should get an agent to MANAGE your work offers, not expect them to do the work for you. If you have skill you won't have to get help. You'll have the current work speaking for itself.

5. AndrewST

AndrewST Guest

I hope you enjoy the new job and keep us posting on the ever evolving theater!