Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My thread on the Ruger Ranch Rifle and the 6.5 Grendel got me to pondering. I really like the 6.5 bullet. Fostered by my 6.5x52 Carcano, which I wish I still had, and the wife’s uncle’s 6.5x51SR Arisaka, which I do have, they were just great producers of venison. They just worked much better than paper ballistics say they should.

It took me a long time to warm to the 6.5 Grendel. It’s ballistics were inferior to the Japanese and Italian cartridges. But I wanted a "long range" AR rifle for hunting varmints, deer, and pigs, and the 6.5 Grendel ended up winning the race. (I really wanted the 25-45 Sharps to win it!

I never really warmed to the 6mm/.24 caliber cartridges. The 243 Winchester I grew a fond dislike for, as I did with the 6mm/223. I actually liked my 700 ADL in 6mm Remington, a much better case design than the more popular 243 Winchester. Unfortunately I did not own the rifle long before it was taken by the Great Fire of ‘99. And the 6mm PPC was a wonderfully accurate cartridge. Always wanted to own one, but was never able to come up with the funds to get one.

Another complaint I had with the .243 cartridges is that they are barrel burners. Especially with the lighter 75 grain bullets used for varmints that are pushed to 3000 fps and beyond.

One day somebody necked the 6.5 Grendel to 6mm and came up with the 6mm AR. It interested me. Here was basically a new 6mm PPC. The 6mm PPC is a necked up 220 Russian, which is based on the 7.62x39 case. The 6.5 Grendel, also based on the 7.62x39, can basically be described as a necked up 6mm PPC. And as noted above the 6mm AR is the 6.5 Grendel necked to 6mm. So we have basically gone full circle. (Not really, there are differences between the 6mm PPC and 6mm ARC, especially in the neck and shoulder to accommodate the long 103 - 107 grain 6mm bullets, but you get my thinking).

Enter Hornady. They have come in, taken the 6mm AR, rechristened it the 6mm Advanced Rifle Cartridge (ARC) and we now have a legitimized "new" rifle cartridge that we don’t have to buy custom dies for. The cartridge is fairly new to the shooter, being born in 2020. A cartridge that uses very efficient bullets about 20 grains lighter than the "standard" 123 grain bullet of the 6.5 Grendel, and pushes them some 200 FPS faster than the Grendel is capable of. Sure, I can load the very good 107 grain bullet in the 6.5 Grendel and get that velocity boost, but the long slim .243 107 grain projectile has longer legs than the .264 diameter bullet of the same weight.

The 6mm ARC just might answer the complaints I have with the 6.5 Grendel. Basically that the 6.5 Grendel is velocity challenged. The 6mm ARC has "enough" velocity but I think not enough to be the barrel burner that I have come to expect from the faster 6mm cartridges. Especially with the standard 107 grain bullet.

My one concern? How will it perform with the lighter bullets? This is where the 6mm PPC and the 6mm ARC differ. The 6mm PPC is optimized for the lighter 60 to 70 grain bullets. It uses a rifling twist of 1:12 - 1:13. It will reach the 3000 + FPS mark. The 6mm ARC is optimized for 103 - 107 grain bullets and uses a twist rate of 1:7.5. I wonder how a 75 grain bullet will perform in a 6mm ARC rifle?

The 25-06 is my favorite "dual -purpose" rifle. I typically load 87 grain bullets for varmint, and 117 grain for deer. I can see the 6mm ARC being another dual purpose cartridge. 75 grain bullets for varmint, 105 grain for deer. If I just knew how it performed with the lighter bullets. I do think it’s probably a better cartridge than the 6.5 Grendel comparing the 123 grain Grendel with the 107 grain ARC.

·
Premium Member
35,832 Posts
Here’s one thing.

6 mm bullets are one of the few bullets I still see on the shelf at the LGS.

So, there’s that.

·
Premium Member
21,295 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
My thread on the Ruger Ranch Rifle and the 6.5 Grendel got me to pondering. I really like the 6.5 bullet. Fostered by my 6.5x52 Carcano, which I wish I still had, and the wife’s uncle’s 6.5x51SR Arisaka, which I do have, they were just great producers of venison. They just worked much better than paper ballistics say they should.

It took me a long time to warm to the 6.5 Grendel. It’s ballistics were inferior to the Japanese and Italian cartridges. But I wanted a "long range" AR rifle for hunting varmints, deer, and pigs, and the 6.5 Grendel ended up winning the race. (I really wanted the 25-45 Sharps to win it!

I never really warmed to the 6mm/.24 caliber cartridges. The 243 Winchester I grew a fond dislike for, as I did with the 6mm/223. I actually liked my 700 ADL in 6mm Remington, a much better case design than the more popular 243 Winchester. Unfortunately I did not own the rifle long before it was taken by the Great Fire of ‘99. And the 6mm PPC was a wonderfully accurate cartridge. Always wanted to own one, but was never able to come up with the funds to get one.

Another complaint I had with the .243 cartridges is that they are barrel burners. Especially with the lighter 75 grain bullets used for varmints that are pushed to 3000 fps and beyond.

One day somebody necked the 6.5 Grendel to 6mm and came up with the 6mm AR. It interested me. Here was basically a new 6mm PPC. The 6mm PPC is a necked up 220 Russian, which is based on the 7.62x39 case. The 6.5 Grendel, also based on the 7.62x39, can basically be described as a necked up 6mm PPC. And as noted above the 6mm AR is the 6.5 Grendel necked to 6mm. So we have basically gone full circle. (Not really, there are differences between the 6mm PPC and 6mm ARC, especially in the neck and shoulder to accommodate the long 103 - 107 grain 6mm bullets, but you get my thinking).

Enter Hornady. They have come in, taken the 6mm AR, rechristened it the 6mm Advanced Rifle Cartridge (ARC) and we now have a legitimized "new" rifle cartridge that we don’t have to buy custom dies for. The cartridge is fairly new to the shooter, being born in 2020. A cartridge that uses very efficient bullets about 20 grains lighter than the "standard" 123 grain bullet of the 6.5 Grendel, and pushes them some 200 FPS faster than the Grendel is capable of. Sure, I can load the very good 107 grain bullet in the 6.5 Grendel and get that velocity boost, but the long slim .243 107 grain projectile has longer legs than the .264 diameter bullet of the same weight.

The 6mm ARC just might answer the complaints I have with the 6.5 Grendel. Basically that the 6.5 Grendel is velocity challenged. The 6mm ARC has "enough" velocity but I think not enough to be the barrel burner that I have come to expect from the faster 6mm cartridges. Especially with the standard 107 grain bullet.

My one concern? How will it perform with the lighter bullets? This is where the 6mm PPC and the 6mm ARC differ. The 6mm PPC is optimized for the lighter 60 to 70 grain bullets. It uses a rifling twist of 1:12 - 1:13. It will reach the 3000 + FPS mark. The 6mm ARC is optimized for 103 - 107 grain bullets and uses a twist rate of 1:7.5. I wonder how a 75 grain bullet will perform in a 6mm ARC rifle?

The 25-06 is my favorite "dual -purpose" rifle. I typically load 87 grain bullets for varmint, and 117 grain for deer. I can see the 6mm ARC being another dual purpose cartridge. 75 grain bullets for varmint, 105 grain for deer. If I just knew how it performed with the lighter bullets. I do think it’s probably a better cartridge than the 6.5 Grendel comparing the 123 grain Grendel with the 107 grain ARC.
I've held off on building and AR style rifle while just about all my buddies have them. This round just might make me pull the trigger. I know Joe says he's coming for our AR14's but I figure as long as I put it upstairs I'm safe!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts