7.62 AKs illegal in CT?

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Glennfrank, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    Hey all,
    went to a new (to me) gunshop today because I had heard through the grapevine they sold Saigas at a reasonable price. They only had the 223 and 308 versions however.
    So I asked one of the clerks if they ever got them in.
    He then told me that they were illegal in CT, at which point someone else said all 7.62x39 rifles were illegal in CT. Does anyone have any info on this? I mean I can't believe the 7.62 Saigas are banned, let alone any rifle that shoots 7.62.

2. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    Dammit.
    Wait, when you say "7.62x39 is illegal" you're only talking about AK variants right? Sorry for my ignorance, I am new to this & don't really 'get' these seemingly arbitrary gun laws.

3. neothespian

neothespian Member

There isn't anything to "get" because that's not the point. The point is to ban guns that are evil and that are killing babies!!!!!

Ok, back to reality...

Alot of gun laws are designed out of hype. Mac-10's and Tec-9's were banned in many cities during the 90's heyday of "Boods v. Cripts" violence because they looked evil and had a reputation to boot. Nevermind the fact that both lines of pistols were poor sellers and were fraught with mechanical flaws. AK-47's and all associated types are the "Terrorist" weapon and every criminial in Hollywood totes one, so therefore they must be banned. This goes for anything with barrel shrouds, folding stocks and drum magazines.

Wait! What's that you say? This is a bunch of equipment that costs thousands upon thousands of dollars, and most criminals use bodged together, cheap disposable arms that are easily stolen and modified such as single shot breakload shotguns, .25 semi auto tintypes and chopped up hunting rifles stolen out of trucks?

Yep. You're right.

BUT, suzie hosuemaker who has lived in suburban smallville in the midwest has never seen a gun in person and thinks that the US of A is still the envy of the world and the worst thing they have to worry about is everything Opra tells them to. There isn't much logic behind gun ban laws. There isn't a universal political party that bases it as a platform. There isn't a text of reports stating with hard numbers showing the ratio of types of arms used in violent crimes in relation to the criminal population, and there has not been one symposium or summit with arms manufacturers and interest groups.

If it's on a naughty video game? Ban it! If it was used by a mentally ill patient on a highly over-hyped school shooting? Ban it! Does it look mean? Ban it!

Logic, application or utility means nothing to those who ban guns, because they do not inhabit the real world. They are often driven to these press conferences in their hybrid Tahoes thinking they're being "green" and are all about our "Children's" interests, yet they usually send their kids to boarding schools. They don't have to worry about grabbing a quick dinner at the Church's Chicken at 1AM on the way home from work because they don't dine at anyplace that has less than a 4 star rating.

Those who ban the guns, never see one, and don't want to see one. They wouldn't know what the numbers 7.62x39 were, except to assume that it was part of some tax code passed in the house.

4. To summarize: no, anything that shoots 7.62x39 is illegal. :(.

5. Kelotravolski

Kelotravolski Member

to summarize: move. lol. Jk mostly. gun laws are a big factor as to where I am willing to live.

6. Main reason I'm probably staying in Missouri and not going back to MD. Screw fifteen forms in triplicate, notarized applications, and 7 day waiting periods; I'm in the land of the free now and I'm staying here! Walk in, make the NICS phone call, get gun, walk out the door :).

7. Kelotravolski

Kelotravolski Member

+1 although those servers sometimes take forever. I had to wait 6hrs once...

8. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

+1, here in SC, with a CWP, you can load it up and the counter, holster it, and walk out the door. (with permission, but you can always go to the bathroom. :) )

9. neothespian

neothespian Member

10. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    Well, thanks for all the info, just wish it was better news for me, but I appreciate all the replies nonetheless.

11. I prefer 5.56x45 anyway... but that's just me :).

12. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    Well, I suppose my dreams of that Ruger Mini30 just fell apart as well. Didn't think about/realize that until I was driving to work and really woke up this morning. :cry:

13. Sorry to hear about the ignorant gun law in your state, but you would be getting a good gun with more power if you got the Saiga in .308

Might be a blessing in disguise.

14. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    I agree Waltham, was just looking for something with cheap ammo :)

But, I just called 2 gun shops and they told me that the ban isn't on the caliber itself, just AK-types. According to them, SKS and Mini-30s etc are legal.

I guess I have to call Dept of Public safety to know for sure.

15. That would be a good idea. Telling a cop a gun shop told me.... will not keep you out of jail.

Hope you get what you are looking for!