7.62 x 39 cost

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by monsterdawg, Jan 2, 2015.

1. monsterdawg

monsterdawg Member

I just priced 7.62 x 39 ammo at Gander Mountain, which isn't the cheapest place, but is it normally around $1/round for brass cased ammo? 5.56 was about half that. Is this correct? If so, I ain't gettin' no SKS or AK47! The range I go to does not allow steel cased ammo and I can't pay that much for ammo that I going to actually shoot.
    Shot 200 rounds of 9mm and 100 380 tonight. That would be $300.00!

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

2. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL

3. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Go check out gunbot.net or ammograb.com for prices. With gunbot, make sure you arrange it for price per round and filter for in-stock only. You'll find better prices than $1 per round at other retailers. I've seen it for around $.50 per round, or less, at other places. That's still more than 5.56, but you still are paying for more raw materials per round, so I can't see how to get around it unless you reload.

4. Kiln

Kiln Member

The cheap stuff is $5/20 around here so it's not bad. Puts it close to 9mm in cost.

5. monsterdawg

monsterdawg Member

Is that brass cased? I can't use steel cased at the range and that's where I will do most of my shooting.

6. colthrash

colthrash Member

5 to 7 dollars a box (of 20) is about right for steel cased, the brass will always be higher. your range won't allow steel cased, or steel cored?

7. monsterdawg

monsterdawg Member

The one I usually go to does not. I have a couple more I go to sometimes, don't know about them.

8. Johnny_B_Goode

Johnny_B_Goode Member

I like www.ammoseek.com You can filter out steel case ammo or FMJ. You can make it look for a certain type of ammo. The filters are very effective.

9. monsterdawg

monsterdawg Member

None of the three allows it at all!

10. colthrash

colthrash Member

Do they keep the brass to resell? the cheap 7.62x39 will always be steel cased, it is what the rifles were designed to shoot. I purchased 2 boxes of brass ammo (40 rounds), and could have gotten 8 boxes of steel cased ammo. I will never buy brass ammo for the sks again...

11. monsterdawg

monsterdawg Member

You can keep your brass as long as it doesn't land in front of the rest that you stand behind. I believe one of the ranges allows steel cased pistol ammo but not rifle ammo. No idea why. Don't really know enough about the difference. Could it have something to do with "dirty" ammo and ventilation?

12. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Get a "Brass" catcher, and catch your steel cases ;)

13. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Use a brass catcher and they'll never know if you use steel brass or adamantium.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

14. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY

Hey! Great Idea :p :D:D

15. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    You might want to put a couple of diversionary boxes of the brass-cased ammo on top of your steel-cased ammo just in case they want to do a magnet check on your ammo, though. Then, when you are safely on the firing line, you can shoot the steel stuff, keeping your nice brass ammo for the next ruse.

Also, if it looks like you'll be too heavily scrutinised to get away with handling the steel ammo, you can use Golden Bear. It is steel-cased but is copper washed, giving it the appearance of brass. You should still have the brass ammo ready for a magnet check.

I look forward to reading about your successful attempt and nice shooting trip.

16. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Steel can damage the baffles at the range. A lot of steel cased ammo also has steel core bullets, so most ranges just ban all of it. If it sticks to a magnet.....

17. reverendg

reverendg Member

Steel core has been illegal in the US for quite some time now. It was Clinton that banned it as "armor piercing". What is magnetic is the bimetal copper/steel jacketing of the projectiles in most steel cased ammo. Big difference.

18. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

7.62x39 yes because there are 'handguns' available in that caliber.
    There was (is?) talk about doing the same with 54r.

19. greg_r

I just asked at my range and I was wrong. It's not because steel core or steel jacketed bullets damage the baffles, it's because it's a fire hazard. Sorry for the misinformation.

20. greg_r

Steel core is only banned in pistol caliber ammo. A quick search tells me that 7.62x39 handguns do exist and The ammo is banned. Learned something today! Steel core rifle ammo is not banned and readily available.