7.62x25 Tokarev corrosive question.

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Adjuster, Mar 11, 2008.

1. This just occurred to me as I was taking a look at my CZ52. I store the pistol in a shoe box sized wooden liquor box. In the box I have about 800 rounds of ammo. 200 rounds loose in the bottom and the rest in cardboard boxes. My question: Is this ammo corrosive to my pistol in this state by proximity? Or must it be fired in the gun to release the corrosive salts that damage the barrels? Basically is my ammo 'gassing' my pistol?

2. Your gun is fine. The primers in the ammo is the only corrosive part of the bullet itself and has to be powder in said primer has to be burned before the chemical reaction turns the powder into residue, which contains the corrosive salts. As long as the gun was cleaned since it was last fired and it's not really humid in that box to cause rust on your gun, you're fine my friend.

3. neothespian

neothespian Member

The proximity of the ammo in a static state won't hurt the gun or the casings at all, so have no fear!

But, if you are shooting and are TRULY paranoid, a cleaning solution with at least 5% ammonia shot down the barrel before casing will neutralize the oxidation process, just as long as you clean the gun proper thereafter within a decent amount of time (I usually don't wait over 12 hours myself, but I'm anal like that)

4. What causes ammo to be corrosive lies in the priming compound of the cartridges. When corrosive ammo is fired, the priming mixture produces potassium chloride as one of the by-products of combustion. This fine salt is distributed all over the interior of the gun barrel when the cartridge is fired. Being hygroscopic, it attracts moisture to the metal where the microscopic potassium crystals are attached. Over time, the metal becomes oxidized where these crystals are located. If left untreated, the oxidation continues until pitting of the barrel has occurred.

Removing the corrosive compounds from the barrel is rather simple. The corrosive "salts" must be flushed out with a solution of water and/or soap or detergent. Many people find that saturating a patch with Windex and running it through the barrel, followed by several dry patches and then an oiled patch is sufficient for preventing barrel rust.

I have personally shot loads of corrosive ammo in my 303 British, 8mm Mauser, and CZ 52 and know first-hand what can happen if the barrel isn't cleaned right away. Rusting can happen within hours of shooting corrosive ammo through the barrel. It kind of reminds me of shooting a muzzle loader. Black powder is also corrosive.

wizard93

5. I use Hoppes #9 to clean my weapons, and do not do the hot water or windex routine and my weapons are just fine.

I have a total of 9 milsurp rifles and 1 pistol that I use corrosive ammo in, and also use it in a modern Romak 3 semi auto rifle with no problems.

FWIW, Hoppes #9 states on the bottle that it removes corrosive salts.

To me, a parallel example is in the ancient coin cleaning world, for hundreds and hundreds of years, people soaked the coins in olive oil to remove the millenia of crust on the coins. Very very messy method.

At that time that was all that they could find that would clean them.

There are still some peole today that swear that is the only way to clean them. If Aristotle did it that way, it must be right.

But as science advances, we found that there are other options to the messy olive oil, so it is actually no longer required unless you just want to.

I think that modern cleaners have provided modern options to the ammonia and hot water treatments when cleaning after shooting the corrosive ammo, the people that still do it are ones that have been doing it for decades, or were told by those people that it has to be done this way. Davey Crocket cleaned his gun that way, right? ;)

Black powder I cannot personally comment on, I have a BP pistol, but have never got around to firing it

6. When it comes to shooting corrosively primed ammo in Mil-Surps, BlackPowder Cartridge guns or muzzleloaders my cleaning method is... HOT Water & Murphys Oil Soap mix followed by a Hot Water rinse, dry well then apply favorite lube. Never ever had an issue with rust, flash rust or frosty bores using this method.