738 TCP problems

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by histed, Jul 10, 2015.

1. histed

histed Supporting Member

So I bought one of these about a month ago as a summer carry gun. Moona11 tried to tell me to get a KelTec, but I'm a stubborn old SOB. Ran a box of Remington FMJ through it without a hitch. Problems started when I started shooting my reloads with a 95 grn RF lead bullet. Pistol would fire the first round and lock open. I'd release the slid, fire the next one and get a slide lock. Maybe two or three and another slide lock. Very frustrating. Experimented with seating depth, powders and charge weights, doing the HiPoint tweek to the mags, polishing the slide - NADA!! Then one of the guys at TAURUSARMED posted a video showing how the slide catch (right term?) is a little too long and tends to catch on some bullet types. Video also showed how to fix it with a few simple swipes with a small file. My Taurus now runs like (here it is Moonz) a KelTec :p
    Seriously, just FYI for any other 738 owners here who're havin' problems. Hope this helps.

2. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I have been carrying a tcp 738bss for about three years now. It's one of the most reliable firearms I have. It's been eating the Lee TL356-95-RF for about a year now. No problems.

3. histed

histed Supporting Member

S'all good, Greg. bss?? Most of the guys on the taurus form said the same as you, so it isn't always a problem. For me,,,guess I got lucky:eek:. What powder and COL do you use in your's?

4. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

BSS = black stainless steel.

Unique and .940

5. Asher1

Asher1 Member

I have fixed three of these for friends... All of them had the same problem with the "last round open" catch hanging on the front of the bullets. If you want it to run like a Kel-Tec remove that entire area and then you won't have the "last round open" feature and it will be just like a P3AT... :rofl:

6. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Who was that said get a P11 this guy that's who :p
    Glad you got it fixed.

7. Kiln

Kiln Member

Yeah I had the same issue with mine. Easy way to disgnose this is if your gun locks open and the round fails to feed. Filed it down on mine and it's been 100% reliable.

8. Asher1

Asher1 Member

I like the TCP's, if I had my way a couple things would change... 1- trigger pull is way to long almost get my trigger finger digging into my hand before it fires. 2- have the "true" double strike feature like the 709... I really don't like the issue they can have with the short trigger reset, but I still like the gun over any other micro 380 I have handled and shot...

It is a hand full with buffalo bore +p... but I have only put a couple of them through it...

Since you got the gun running good, now check out Underwood Extreme penetrator +p 380 rounds..

Now for the "safety concerned"... Since there is NO STANDARD for a "+p 380" round, use anything .380 rated as a +p at your own risk...

9. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Or maybe don't use them at all?

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

10. histed

histed Supporting Member

Yeah, That's my thought. bomb in the hand ain't cool.
    mOOnz, there is no "bow down" smilie, or I'd be using it. "It does not pay to ignore the Master, Grasshopper." But like the OP said, I'm a stubborn old SOB:blush::blush:

11. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

You got it to work good job.