8mm Mauser "Range Report"

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Dagwood, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

Took the new to me 1944 mod 98 German Mauser to the blm today. Found some surplus 7.92 x 57 ball ammo for 9.99 a box of 20. Shot 45 rounds thru her today with absolutely no issues.

This thing kicks like a mule!! I can't imagine having to carry this rifle around all day much less fire it all day long.

Also, I must suck something awefull at sighting in scopes, cuz I could barely get it on paper at 75 yds. I started out at 300 yds with my 6" gong and never hit it. I put up a target at 150 yds and still couldn't hit it. At 75 yds i was on paper, but I never did get it zeroed.

Regardless, This is the most powerful rifle iv'e had the pleasure of shooting, and what a blast! 70yrs old and still operates flawlessly. I hope i'm in half as good a shape when i'm that age.

Oh, and I found out the significance of the turquoise on the stock. According to the guy at the lgs where I bought my ammo, Navajo Indians believe that turquoise on your gun stock will keep you from getting struck by lightning while your hunting. He also thought that the tooth was an elk tooth. Thats my story and i'm stickin to it!

Attached Files:

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Your rifle was made by Waffen Werk Brunn, if it has a 5 digit serial number after the 85,000 block, it could be a 1945 made gun, apparently they were a bit desperate and didn't bother changing the year stamp for a bit.

Good news...that's actually the BRNO CZ factory, they were one of the best Mauser makers around. Bad news of course...they were basically slave labor to the Nazis.

To zero it...start short, get on paper at 25 yards, the holes should be just low of aim point, and grouped. If you can't group, there's no need to shoot further. Keep shooting until you can group, or are convinced the gun is shot out, or needs better ammo.

If you are less than 1/2 inch low, you'll be 1/4 inch high at 75, and zeroed at 100, then about 5 inches low at 200, pretty nearly.

If you adjust to be 2.5 inches high at 100, you'll be at a 200 yard zero, and 9 inches low at 300.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014

3. Dagwood

Thanks ajole, thanks for the gun info and for the sighting in info. The sn is 3 digit with an a1 under it. The bolt has matching sn. The trigger assy sn doesnt match. I gotta say, I really like it. It's got me admiring the milsurp rifles alot more. Theres something to be said about a working piece of military history in your hands.

4. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

The 8x57 is a fine rifle. Capable of doing anything the 30-06 can do. You will find that surplus and European ammunition for the caliber is quite a bit stouter than domestically produced. Domestic ammunition is loaded to about 30/30 levels. The 8mm Mauser was originally a .318 diameter bullet, later changed to a .323 diameter. American ammo is downloaded because of fears of it being fired in one of the tight bored rifles.

I think somebody mentioned reloading for this rifle to you. This is a great round to load for because of the weak American fodder. Reloading will let you realize the rounds potential. Although 8mm mauser is not hard to find, cases can easily and cheaply be formed from 30-06 cases. The rifle can be easily rechambered to the 8mm/06 also.

Asked the wife about the Turquois. She has Native American blood, her grandmother was full blooded. She said it was the sky stone, formed from tears. It means life and healing. That would fit it right in with the lightning story you mentioned.

Congrats on a great rifle.

5. Dagwood

Thats cool greg. I just might have to look into reloading. And tell your wife thanks for the clarity.

6. Dagwood

***Update***

So I took your advice ajole and started out at 25yds this morning. Also, I bought a benchrest. This made sighting in soo much easier. Turns out my elevation wasn't bad but my windage was off to the left by about 6 or 8 inches. I finally got it dialed in pretty good at 25yds and moved out to 50. My groups opened up a bit, but not bad for a 2.5 x 15mm scope.

I also took the 995ts that I just installed a 3-12 x 40 simmons scope on. That seemed to be all over the place. I think I need to invest in a top rail from LongShot. It just seems to flex too much mounted on the stock top rail.

All in all, still had a great time and already want to go again!

7. Dagwood

Here are pics of my targets. Sorry couldn't get them to upload earlier. The first one is mauser at 25yds, the second one is mauser at 50yds. The third and fourth one are the 995ts at 50yds.

Attached Files:

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Based on the 25 yard groups, the gun should be able to group better at 50, unless the barrel is shot out, or the ammo simply isn't working well with the gun.

I agree with your assessment on the scope, I'd try to get a slightly better model. But that could be hard, considering how it's mounted now.

9. Dagwood

***Update***

So, I figured out why my mauser wasn't shooting well.... The stock was all broken up. That nifty stock with the turquise and the tooth was never bedded properly.

Here is what she looks like now with a new stock, that I glass bedded, and a Simmons 3-12 x 40 scope on her. She is much more accurate now! Sorry, no target pics from the range.

Ain't she purty!

Attached Files:

10. rickm

rickm Member

My lgs has a Turkish mauser i been looking at, it is on consignment and the guy is wanting $220 for it just not sure i really need it or not even thought it is pretty, I didnt get to study it to much but if the numbers i found on it is the sn then it has a 4 digit sn and they all matched everywhere i looked.

11. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Thats a very nice stock Dag! Where'd you pick that one up?

12. Nice looking Mauser that's for sure. I grew up with my Dad rebuilding and sporterizing 7X57 and 8X57 Mauser surplus rifles. He also did his own hand loads and cast bullets and I would go along with him to a little know gravel pit to test fire and check for accuracy. Each rifle had it's favorite load that he tailored for it depending upon the barrel wear in the end. I still remember my first several teen years of deer hunting carrying either a 7X57 or 8X57 with him. Damn those guns were heavy!

13. Dagwood

I bought the stock used on ebay. It was already pillar bedded at the recoil lug, but I had to do some sanding and dremmeling and bedded a rear pillar and bedded the entire barrel.
    Everything fits nice and snug. The stock finish was glossy, but in the process of doing all of this I ended up sanding the whole thing down, oiling it and waxing it with turtle wax.
    It left a nice matte sheen on it that I really like. Smooth as a babies but too.

14. Dagwood

Thanks eagle, and yes it is very heavy. Compared to the other sporter that I have, and the M1, this thing weighs a ton... I sure do love it though.

15. Dagwood

If it is in original condition and the #s match, that is a reasonable price. The german mausers are more desireable, but if your'e looking for a fun bolt action gun and don't mind stocking yet another caliber of ammo, I say go for it.
    The two I have are not original, they have been sporterized. I paid a hundred for this one and 150.00 for the other one. The new stock cost me 70.00.
    This one is 70 yrs old, the other one is 100 yrs old this yr. It's cool to own a piece of history. The stories these guns could tell...

16. Where was your stock damaged? I would really like to inspect my Turk Mauser.
    Its beat to hell and is a perfect candidate to learn how to restore; stock and rust bluing.
    Speaking of which, know any resources for such?

17. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Wood repair is pretty straight forward as long as it's not cracked or broken. Strip the finish, sand, (fill if necessary), new finish. Rust bluing is pretty darn simple too. The barrel/action would require a shallow "trough."

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

18. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

19. What model was it; in other words large ring or small ring? :confused:

20. Dagwood

The stock was broken up in the recoil lug area. Front and rear. It hadn't been glass bedded at all. Over time the wood just takes a beating and breaks up. When I pulled the action out of the stock chunks of wood fell out. That stock was beyond repair unfortunately.
    Brownell's or midway usa are good sources for bedding info and supplies. I didn't know anything about bedding or finishing a stock, but I figured I only had 100 bucks in the gun, if I screw it up I won't be crushed.
    It wasn't a major project and I now have a connection with this rifle and appreciate shooting it that much more.