90 gr hps for 9mm

Discussion in 'Pistol Cartridge Data' started by GLUGLUG, Jan 9, 2016.

1. GLUGLUG

GLUGLUG Supporting Member

NC
    I have not seen these on a shelf anywhere but had some given to me years ago. I have Nosler and PMC. I imagine they are more for .380 but I decided to give 'em a go tonight in my new Canik. I seated these to 1.055. That seemed to match the ogive of the 115 gr rn. I started with 5.7 gr of Unique and while they fired they would not cycle. Up to 5.9 gr, same thing. Moved up to 6.2 gr and they worked great.
    Now this load looks scary as 6.2 is damn near level with the case mouth :eek: , but for 115 gr rn the max I have in my Sierra manual is 6.3.

Anyway I just thought I'd share some info that I couldn't find anywhere but decided to try anyway.

As always, this didn't blow me up or my gun but ymmv. good luck.

2. GoesBang

GoesBang Supporting Member

3. histed

histed Supporting Member

Glug - I just bought some 95 grn Hornady XTPs to use in my 380. Haven't tried Unique, but I did run some through the 9mm with True Blue. Like you, I had a much hotter load before it would cycle the slide, but still under 115 max. Mine shot way low at 15 yards - what'd you see?

4. GLUGLUG

NC
    Well I never really tried any for groups or anything. Was just mainly trying to get them to work. Made about 75 yesterday but with red dot instead of unique. 5.1 gr or red dot looks much better in the case than 6.2 of unique! These printed decent groups at 8 yds. Elevation was perfect.

5. GLUGLUG

NC
    Just an update here. 1.01 seating depth is working much better. I imagine you could also reduce the charge a bit to reflect this. Still have no over pressure signs but I'd bet you won't need 6.2 of unique to cycle at this depth. I guess that's my next move...see what the min charge is at 1.01.

6. histed

histed Supporting Member

Been too cold for testing here - and 30" of snow didn't help. Watching what you do and getting ready for spring. You ever try 95 grn lead in the 9? 'S what I cast for .380, but never tried in 9mm. At 1.01 - no feeding problems? Also, if you don't mind, what gun are you shooting these in?

7. Hansj3

Hansj3 Supporting Member

Do either of you have access to a chrony? I'd love to see velocities on that. Esp out of a carbine

8. Glug, if you have some Win. #231 on hand, my 9 MM "Load Book" from Midway lists a midrange load of 1350 f.p.s. MV with 5.5 grains that should work in your C-9-- They indicate that #231 is hard to beat, in all 9MM loads.
    I've assembled some 90 Gr. (.380 ACP) jacketed bullets and also some Lee 90 Grain home brew bullets to try in my C-9 and Comp, but haven't had time to try them out. Will post here if they are successful. (I only shoot at 25 yards, due to Range regulations, so don't expect gangbusters accuracy)!
    Cheers,
    Fred

9. GLUGLUG

NC
    I do have some 231 to play with but have yet to break into it. Oh and this load has been worked up using a Canik TP9, I do not own a C9. (yet!)

No feeding problems at 1.01. Histed I have never used 95gr cast, only 125gr cast and for some reason I had to seat them a little deeper than listed for them to go into battery in my Canik. I only made enough to find what worked as far as charge and depth, made notes and stopped there. I have MANY copper to go through before I dig into those.

This is what my load data shows for a 90gr using 231:
    5.5gr 1,312 fps 25,400 CUP 5.8gr 1,349fps 30,100 CUP

Pretty dang fast!

10. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    I'd love to see what kind of 10mm velocities can be expected using
    a common 41 Magnum powder loaded for carbine length barrels ;)

11. GLUGLUG

NC
    Well I won't be able to tell you about in carbine barrels but very soon I will have access to a 10mm pistol and dies. I would bet I can use the same
    powders I use for 300 blk to load 10mm with. Have been really looking into getting a chrono for a while now but after talking to a friend last week, he basically talked me out of the ones I could afford! :eek: Maybe money bags will let me borrow his!

12. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

He saw parts of his gun flying off.:rofl:

13. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Chrony Snob? :rofl:
    Do your own research, it should be a reasonably easy instrument to
    execute accurately. Now I can see errors caused by being too close
    and having hot loads in short barrels causing read errors, but you can
    adjust for that. Most station the chrono 10 to 15 feet out from what
    I have seen, maybe 20.

14. Gluglug, I recently bought a Canik TP9, and am loving it, have you found any good loads that yours likes? I also found that my TP9 seems to prefer hotter loads, some of the loads that work fine in my 3 H-P C-9s, won't cycle the slide on the Canik. How is yours, for accuracy? All of the reviews I've read on the TP9 have been rave reviews, and you get a lot of bang for your buck, not to mention the box full of extra goodies that come with it. (I paid $279., OTD for mine, in Kissimme, FL.)
    Fred

15. GLUGLUG

NC
    TBH I haven't done much more testing than I need to do to ensure reasonable accuracy and total reliability. For the Pistols I reload for, either the loads are dialed in or my ability as a marksman is maxed out with these loads. For my JHP45 and my TP9 at 25 yds off a rest I get about 2.5-3.5". At 15 yds free hand I get about 2.5-3.5". For me this is very reasonable.
    I also have found some common #'s to keep things easy to remember.
    For my 9mm 90gr HPs I use 5.7 of red dot seated to 1.01
    For 9mm 124 gr plated I use 4.7 of W231 seated to 1.13
    For 9mm 147 gr XTP I use 4.7 of Unique seated to 1.11

For the only load I use in my JHP45 it is 4.7 gr of WST. That is over a 200gr cast RNFP, seated to 1.19 I believe.

So for 75% of my pistol loads I have settled on 4.7 gr. The other is 5.7.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  16. Hey, Glug,
    On your JHP-45, suggest trying 3.8 Gr. of Bullseye with a 200 Gr. LSWC, seated to 1.161, MV is around 675 to 700FPS. Both of my H-P JHP 45s love this load, as does my Armscor 1911, and S&W 625, and Ruger P-90! It operates the slides on all my .45s, and I can shoot them all day long with no pain to my 79 year old arthritic hands.
    As to your bud talking you out of an inexpensive Chronograph, I have a different opinion and experience, many years ago I bought a cheap, (as in around $80. on sale) "Chrony" that folds up, uses a common 9V battery, and can be had with a remote printout for not much money. This thing has been bulletproof, exposed to ALL kinds of rough use and weather, and just keeps on ticking! I couldn't recommend it more, it has always worked well for me. Mine has to be 20 years old, give or take-- Like me it has taken a lot of hard knocks, and keeps on going!
    Cheers,
    Fred

17. GLUGLUG

NC
    Okay I just got back from the range and today I had a chrony to use.
    The 90gr HPs over 5.1 of red dot were screaming at 1400 fps.
    The 124 gr plated with 4.7 of 231 were kind of slow at 1135
    The 147 gr XTPs with 4.7 gr of Unique were pretty hot at 1060.

18. Hansj3

Hansj3 Supporting Member

Sorry to dredge a zombie thread, but were there cons to shooting the 90 gen that fast?

19. Gamestalker

Gamestalker Member

I know this thread is rather old, but I thought I'd add my experience with 90 gr JHP's.

I saw a box of 90 gr. XTP's on the shelf and decided to grab them and give them a go. I used my favorite 9mm powder, Longshot and ran it the published maximum of 7.0 grs.. Across the chrony it clocked at nearly 1400 fps from a 92FS. Accuracy wasn't stellar, but it certainly wasn't terrible either. Ran the same bullet with max charge of HS6 and also tried a bit more stout charge of Longshot, results were actually very good, though velocity didn't increase by a lot.

This said, I still prefer 124 gr. JHP's and a max charge of Longshot, it really gets the job done. BTW, Longshot and 38 special make for a great +P load, a simply great powder for high performance +P handgun loads.

GS