Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i was just curious, has anyone used a 91/30 for hunting? im new to rifles this is my first rifle and always wanted to go hunting somewhere in florida that has deer, just wondered id be able to use this after i add the ati stock and a scope, thanks guys

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
im planning on doing the same thing....a 308 is a very common deer hunting round, its 7.62x51. a mosin fires a 7.62x54r....once you scope it i think it will be a very effective hunting rifle....

heres some links that might help you

http://www.mosin-nagant-scope-mount.com/#m91

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies guys, i was reading the brochure for an area i want to someday hunt with my mosin in the future, i like to plan ahead and do research, well one of the rules stats

Firearms using rimfire or non-expanding, full metal jacket (military ball) ammunition are prohibited for taking deer.

where can i find ammo for the mosin that fits the bill? the only ammo i have is military i guess from the gun show i picked up a few weeks ago and i cant even shoot it at any of the gun ranges here lol, frustrated to say the least

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Wolf makes soft point and hollow point rounds in 7.62x54R which can be used for hunting, as does Sellier & Bellot and Prvi Partizan. Check Graf & Sons, MidwayUSA, or cheaperthandirt.com.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
You mean go hunting with something that looks like this?

(Not my rifle unfortunately)
The great thing about inexpensive surplus weapons is you can mod them at a reasonable price to go hunting.
Go for it!

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
You mean go hunting with something that looks like this?

(Not my rifle unfortunately)
The great thing about inexpensive surplus weapons is you can mod them at a reasonable price to go hunting.
Go for it!
that is exactly what i want my mosin to look like. i have a 91/30 though....thinking of cutting down the barrel and recrowning....

·
Banned
2,493 Posts
yep, you'd have to drill the gun, permanent alteration. Trust me, the bolt is bent, more of an almost straight downward angle to be exact. I won't comment on the "commonality" of M44's except to say that once, a few years ago, M1 Garands were less than $75 bucks and German Mausers were about the same, you could find them in barrels at hardware stores, try finding one like that nowadays. Remember, they don't make any of these guns anymore and never will, what if everyone decided to trick out their Mosins? well, maybe they should cause then my collection's value would skyrocket.

·
Premium Member
2,695 Posts
I see what you're saying, but I've heard tell of there still being tens of thousands of mosins in warehouses in stuff all over Russia and old Soviet Bloc countries. Don't know how much truth there is to that, but I've heard it more than once.

M1 garands were $75 a few years ago? Damn, why couldn't I have been born 10 years earlier lol.

·
Banned
2,493 Posts
I see what you're saying, but I've heard tell of there still being tens of thousands of mosins in warehouses in stuff all over Russia and old Soviet Bloc countries. Don't know how much truth there is to that, but I've heard it more than once.

M1 garands were $75 a few years ago? Damn, why couldn't I have been born 10 years earlier lol.
The stories and myths abound about the great stockpiles of surplus weapons that remain hidden away. even if they are trye, doesn't mean we will ever see them though, especially if the UN has their way.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts