Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone tried mounting the rail in place of the rear sight? Pros or cons? It's my understanding that if you mount it and the scope scout-style you won't have any bolt handle issues. I'm wanting to order one for my 91/30 since my range is soon to add a 500 meter rifle section. Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
296 Posts
It really depends on which mount you get. There are two types. One you totally remove the rear-sight base and use the dovetail that is underneath. Those usually require the use of a torch, since most are soldered in place. But that is the strongest mount. The other replaces the sight leaf. There are a lot of different ones for that, some good, some garbage. The only one I know is good can be found here...
http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums.yuku.com/forum/view/id/116

It's a bit pricey, last I looked somewhere around $70. But it works.

As for the scopes, you have to use a long eye releif ( aka pistol ) scope. While its not hard to find a good one, they tend to be pricey as well, and usually not very high magnification. That said, I do know several people that have modded their Mosin and Finn Nagants that way and they make for excellent shooters. A friend at the range has a nice Finn and a 91/30 that way that he uses mostly for target shooting, and a M38 that he uses for hunting. Only 4x scopes though. He found a 3-9x, but couldn't see paying 4 times for the scope as he did for the gun.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.