Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought two 955's a couple weeks a go at Vance's. I have not taken them out to the range to site them in yet but just for kicks I wanted to cycle a clip. So on the first one I took the safety off which moved with very little effort and cycled 10rounds with no issue. I went to do the same on the second 955 but had a few issues. The safety seems bent or something as its very difficult to engage and disengage. Then I went to cycle the clip and every round did not eject which cause jams of course. I have tired different clips and ammo and I am only having this issue on the one riffle. Any thoughts? I guess this one will be going back to HP for service but I thought I would run it past you guys first.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
You may have caused your problem by riding the slide. Did you pull the slide ALL the way back? Every time? Are you sure? If you didn't pull the slide back the WHOLE way, with the gun loaded, you will expose the firing pin to shells that are not supposed to be there. When you SHOOT the gun, this doesn't happen. I've demonstrated this a couple of times on mine; riding the slide. Once I figured this out, the gun has been perfect.

Before you send or shoot, do this: Pull the slide back and lock. Look into eject port to see the exposed firing pin. Is it pointed perfectly strait forward. If it isn't, grab a prying device and slowly move it back into position. If it is straight and looks undamaged, don't touch it.

Assuming is [now] straight, load up your mag(s) and head to the range when you can. Go through a bunch, if you can. Assuming you can, you may be good to go. If not, call HP and get input, etc.

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I went to do the same on the second 955 but had a few issues. The safety seems bent or something as its very difficult to engage and disengage. Then I went to cycle the clip and every round did not eject which cause jams of course.
The safety will loosen up. Work it a few hundred times, it WILL loosen up.

The ejection problem is most likely the same as what I experienced with mine: Hand cycling the magazines caused FTEs - the reason being, the gun is not DESIGNED to eject a round while cocked. When you operate the weapon, you pull the charging handle back, which charges the fire control group. The firing pin is ready to be released. When you pull the trigger, the firing pin strikes the primer, tension is released on the firing pin springs, and the firing of the bullet forces the bolt back. The extractor claws grab the case head, and the firing pin, under no tension, ejects the case. When you hand cycle, the firing pin is under the tension of the firing pin springs.

Try using dummy rounds, or a spent casing, and pull the trigger before trying to manually cycle to eject. It will probably be different. It's not hard to cause a firearm to fail when you try to make it do something it wasn't designed to do.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
From personal experience with HP's, don't bitch about problems until you have put a few hundred rounds through them; that takes care of 99% of the issues.

Blazer Brass works best, IMHO.

Make sure that you "tap" the mag after loading to make sure the ammo is seated properly in the mag.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.