Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks! Just registered to post an issue you all may or may not know about. I ran a few searches and got no results, so I'm asking here before calling their tech support. I'm very familiar with firearms, fell in love with high point a while ago with a .40 pistol.

Issue: Brand new Carbine, 9mm flavor. I got a few extras, like reflex optics, a red ball 20 round magazine, front handle grip. Since this purchase was the 'pro' edition, it came with three 10 round magazines. One in the handle + 2 extra.

The three stock magazines have this issue. The red ball 20 round does not. So what's going on?

When the magazine is firmly inserted, it's in the handle with a 1/8 inch gravity gap. Even spine tapping so the rounds all sit right won't change this. When I rack the load lever, it will not catch the round to load it up, unless I'm putting a gentle amount of pressure on the bottom of the magazine to close that 1/8 inch gap. Then the round racks in just fine. Upon use, it feeds perfectly, even with the 1/8 gap, which puzzles me to no end. If it fails to feed on the first round without a little push, why doesn't it repeat for the rest of the magazine without any gentle pressure?

Have any of you encountered this before?

PS... My wife and I both love shooting our carbine. Fires nice and has a decent amount of weight to it, so recoil isn't a thing. The factory mags that came with it are the only concern.

Thanks in advance for any insight. ^_^

·
Super Moderator
28,426 Posts
First thought is it sounds like out-of-spec magazines. Probably the follower but maybe the spring.

What happens if you download the 10-round mags to 9 rounds and start from there?

You might compare the mags to the Redball and see if there is an obvious difference. Compare the followers, the magazine release notch, etc. I've never had a Redball mag, but I assume you can disassemble them. If you're feeling your cheeryoats you might swap the Redball follower into a stock mag and see if it has the same problem. Maybe swap the stock follower into the Redball mag just for shiggles.

If that's the problem, you might be able to bubba the recalcitrant followers to the same shape as the Redball or you might want to just get new mags. Probably call HP about that.

Got pics?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: Rerun

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only reason why I didn't suspect the mags to be possibly out of spec is they came from the company with the rifle. I'll see about getting pics later tonight and posting them up. I will compare the followers a few hours from now. Thanks for the great suggestion!

·
Premium Member
35,819 Posts
Try 1 of these.

Lock the bolt back, load the mag with a bit of authority. Is it still gapped? Does it feed? If not... Smack it until it isn’t gapped. Does it now load the first round properly when released now? If so...it’s probably a break in issue.

Other thing. Just let it sit loaded for a few weeks, or use a paint stirrer or other long reachy thing to repeatedly manually depress the thing by pushing the follower down and releasing it. Do that 100 times, or so, and it will probably be good.

Forgot to mention...3rd option....smack it HARD and get it seated right.

Reactions: Rerun

·
Registered
100 Posts
Gherick,

I had sort of the same issue with my 995TS. What I found is that the OEM magazines are a flush fit with the bottom of the trigger handle. When I was new to the 995TS I found at times that I was not pushing the magazine far enough and hard enough up into the handle to get it to the second "click" so that it was fully seated upon the initial insertion.

That bothered me enough that I decided to swap out the OEM magazine's stock base plate for one with an extension that would protrude slightly from the bottom of the handle, making the initial full insertion much less tedious.

I will post some pictures so that you get a visual of the solution.

Here is where I found the extended magazine bumpers:

Stock mag flush fit up inside handle:

·
Premium Member
6,847 Posts
You have a NEW Carbine. Before you ever think of buying a Longshot, just do as ajole told you above.
Period! Magazines HAVE to be broken in as does the Carbine. Wife and I have two 995ts carbines.
We did the same as ajole told you. Neither Carbine had any problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Celtic, thank you for both of those close up photos of the inserted mag on Post #7. That helps. What doesn't help as much is the fact my smartphone cord only charges, doesn't transfer data until I buy one that does tomorrow, so my pictures are stuck on my phone for now.

Your photos shows the gap I was talking about. My OEM mags fit flush too, just like yours. Look to the right of your photo in the bottom right corner. See that tiny gap? I figured it was a normal fit, but the first round will not rack with the lever. When I am looking into the breach, I push ever so gently on the mag and that gap closes, then and only then does it rack the first round. However, it can be that flush with the gap showing and follow up rounds feeds while firing just fine until the mag is empty.

Thanks for the 'new' carbine advice folks. I'm new to Hi-Point weapons, but I'm not new to carbines, rifles or hand pistols. My first efforts was to mega slap the mag home and make darn sure it was in place. When I sighted in the optics, I used the red ball 20 round magazine by default, so didn't notice a mag issue right off. Normally, OEM mags don't have issues, or at least with the other six manufacturers I've bought new weapons from. It was always after market mags that haunted good carbines with questionable issues. At least in my experience.

Here's the hilariously weird part. I hard slap the mag home, fails to rack first round. Okay. Fine. However, if I manually load the first round, then slap the mag in, it fires with no issues.

If what ajole said works... screwing with the release 100 times with a paint stick before it works right with the OEM mags, then the problem isn't with the user. Since the red ball mag has zero issues in this regard, I figured you folks may have already worked out the issue with the OEM mags, or something along those lines.

When I get the data cable tomorrow and load my pics so you can see for yourself how low it rides in the breech, even with giving the OEM mag a pressured enema upon insertion, maybe the issue will be clearer.

Thanks again for your advice. :)

·
Administrator
24,570 Posts
@Gherick , you can Bluetooth them from phone to any Bluetooth enabled laptop/tablet/etc. You can also log in to the forum from your smart phone and post the pictures directly.

Also, the factory mags have always been the Achilles heel of these firearms. The solutions we have come up with are to fiddle and futz until they run right.

And it's a charging handle, not a loading lever, before any of the other terminology nit pickers get to you...

·
Premium Member
9,318 Posts
@Gherick me thinks you might have a problem with the way you are inserting the mags. I had the same issue with my 995TS. In my case user error. The magazines would seem to catch but would often not pick up a round when charged. The issue was I was not fully seating my magazines. I had to push up on the base of the magazine to fully engage it. Slapping the magazine would not work, I believe because the grip itself sort of stopped the slapping motion when your hand contacted it. You literally had to push the magazine up into the mag well. When fully seated there was not near the gap shown in Celtic’s pictures. I never owned any Red Ball magazines, but I think they would not have the same issue due to the magazine protruding from the bottom giving more of a "grip" when inserting them.

I just made sure I pushed the magazines all the way home, until I finally installed the same mag extensions mentioned by @Celtic on a couple of my magazines. That fixed the problem pronto.

FWIW, I do not consider this a failure of the TS995. No bottom feeder will work properly if you do not fully seat the magazine. And on another note, if the first round did feed, my carbine acted just like yours, it would feed the other rounds in the magazine…..until it got some years on it. Then the magazines would fall out under recoil.

Hi Point mags seem to get a bad reputation. I have owned a dozen or so, for both my 9mm carbine and my 380 pistol. Never had any problems with the Hi Point magazines I owned, nor am I aware of any issues with the magazines my daughter has for her 3895TS carbine. I think the biggest issue with the Hi Point magazines are people trying to fix what ain’t broke. Then again, maybe I am just lucky……..:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
8,529 Posts
I once owned an M-1 Carbine that needed a bottom slap on the magazines to fully seat it, else it would fail to chamber the first round.

Sounds like a similar issue with the Hi-Point Carbines.

Helpful eldar

1 - 13 of 13 Posts