Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my 995 out today and was finally able to do some testing to see what my carbine liked best. Shooting was done at 35 and 50 yards using the open sights from a bench with a makeshift rest.

115gr FMJ:

Had several brands of 115gr ammo, WWB, UMC and some of my reloads. I took 5 shot strings at both distances and allowed the gun to cool between strings. Results all looked like buckshot patterns regardless of ammo.

124gr FMJ, plated TMJ and JHP:

Had several factory loads and my own reloads and did 5 shot strings allowing barrel to cool between strings. Best groups were about 4" with my reloads, the rest looked about like the 115gr targets but a little tighter.

147gr WWB JHP:

Seems that my 995 prefers the heavier bullet becase with open sights at 50 yards I was getting about a 2.5" group with open sights. The 35 yard groups were right at 2".

So... What ammo seems to be producing the best accuracy for you guys in your 995's?

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
I have to dial my iron sights back in with my bore laser and I'll be loading up some 9mm, take some WWB and some old left over Independance ammo I have lying around and head off to the range. I'll give an update when I get it done.

·
Registered
719 Posts
What kind of bore laser do you use for your 995, PS? I've been thinking about getting one.

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
I just have the el cheapo LaserLyte for $39.97 at Wal-Mart. Works great for what I do with it.

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
Last year I did an ammo test with the 115, 124 and 147 grain bullets and found that my 995 loved all of them with fairly the same accuracy at 50 yards. Now, when you throw reloads into the mix, you are going to get some mixed results until you get the load tweaked for that specific gun. I have a bunch of stuff on order from Lees right now, so with that in mind, once I get started doing some serious reloading for the 995 I am going to do some factory load vs. reload tests for the different grain weight bullets. Honestly, if done right, the reloads ought to perform better than factory loads once the research is done and all the loading process is tweaked. I am excited about this undertaking, talk about a learning experience.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I just have the el cheapo LaserLyte for $39.97 at Wal-Mart. Works great for what I do with it.
Aha. My lousy local Big Box never has them in stock. Maybe I'll get lucky the next time I have to buy a metric tonne of toilet paper and a trampoline.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Mine likes anything you feed it. Right now I am shooting ammo reloaded for me by a patient of mine. He has a good mix of powder and slug. AS long as i keep giving him empty brass, he will keep loading for me. currently using a 115 gr. Very good accuracy out to 100 yrds.

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
I use Russian Barnaul 115 gr ball ammo in the 995 and the pistol and have had good luck with it in both. No feeding problems with factory mags

1 - 9 of 9 Posts