Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Id like to load up some 124 or 147 gr. LRN for my 995. These will be either Laser Cast or Mastercast (locally made, very hard). Im probally gonna start with Unique or Blue Dot, and work up to factory equivilent velocities. Truthfully, the bore looks kinda rough and im expecting at least some leading. Anyone BTDT that could give me thier opinions on cast bullets in the 995 and these bullet/powder combinations?

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've shot quite a few cast bullets through my 995, mostly 125 gr. round nose from Hunters Supply, first time I've ever used theirs. No leading issues until I got into some of the hotter loads. No chronograph, so I don't know at what velocity the problem started. Using Blue Dot powder.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
My first attempt at cast is going to be 130gr 18-21 hardness and AA#7 and/or BlueDot. Im hoping this will be my permanent plinking load at close to 1200fps.

Titegroup burned too hot for some other cast loads i tried so only very light charges worked "ok". I wish Titegroup would have worked better since a LB goes a very long way and its cheap.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
I've been shooting the 124 grain tumble lube bullet out of my 995 for quite a while using a standard small pistol primer and HP-38 or Win231 *they are the exact same powder, and don't let anyone tell you differently*. I loaded the rounds kinda hot and man they leaded the barrel something fierce.

I had to get a pretty hot load in order for the gun to cycle properly, and every one of them worked like a champ, but the leading problem was a bitch. Win231 is a very fast powder, and burns very hot, so I would avoid that for your 995 loads at all cost.

I was suprised that I got such good accuracy and function out of that fast of a powder in my 995, as carbines generally like slower burning powders. With a FMJ or JHP bullet, that combo would be awesome for a carbine. That way the leading isn't an issue with the jacketed bullet. I supposed you could work something up with a cast bullet and gas check, but I've never tried it.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
my 995 worked fine with my cast blasting loads using red dot, but after about 350-375 of them the firing pin channel collapsed inward from excess pressure and jammed the FP to the rear. needed a trip to the mothership to fix and ive never used fast powders in it since. hence my experimentation and consequential blue dot load that everybody around here swears by.

SW

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
I've put about 800 124g tumble lube boolits that I've cast down the pipe of my 995TS. I use the SW pet BlueDot load and have had basically zero leading. The barrel is just as clean as if I'd been shooting jacketed.

Hats off to SW for providing me with that load and saving me a lot of time, trouble, and cleaning.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
SW, please PM me that Blue Dot load data if you would?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.