Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 225 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would the 995 function well as a combat weapon?

In a theoretical invasion/war would the 995 hold up as a primary combat weapon? What about a comparison to rifles that fire conventional rounds?

·
1,792 Posts
no. I would not use it as a main battle rifle. SHTF and it was all I got well Then thats all I got.

AR takes that role. Next in line depends on situation. Mossy 500 or enfield .303 brit.

995 takes a Glorified pistol role........

·
1,792 Posts
Thank you for reminding me.

2nd in line is the SKS, I forget about it cuase well. Not a favorite of mine but YEP, Oh so reliable and well its the bastard child of my guns.

It kinda just sits in the safe now I should dust it off one these days and and make it earn its keep one mo'gin.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
I dunno, depends what you mean by combat.

If I was outfitting a semi-trained urban defence type force (think Stalingrad and the forces defending it), I'd definitely issue 995's to untrained troops if a) I could issue them with Aimpoints/EOTechs and b) there was a decent hi-cap (15rd minimum) magazine to go with it.

In house to house I'm sure the 995 would account for itself pretty well, especially en masse and when supported by battle rifles and lmgs.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I would issue the 995/4095 to the same type of people that were issued the M1 Carbine. Rear echelon people: cooks, guards, anyone not needing an MBR but needing a longer range arm than a pistol for self or site defense. At least until the defenders with the (insert favorite MBR) show up. JMHO. :D :D 8) 8)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not sure if you can hit someone with a hi point stock and have the same results as idk, a garand.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can bet your bottom dollar that any type of insurgants are going to have much better equipment. Hell yes your 995 can serve to get you something much better and reloads, if you don't have something already.

In an urban setting your going to be going from building to building.... if you live that long.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Plinking, check. Home defense, check. Warding off would be looters in a LA riot or Katrina type scenario, check again. Real warfare, well any long gun in 9mm that isn't selective fire or full auto isn't appropriate.
The only semi automatic 9mm rifle I ever remember being made for any military was, if I remember correctly, a Smith and wesson design during WW2. The British bought a small lot of them because they were desperate for anything that could shoot. Even then they didn't really use them for anything. As I recall they were foisted on the Royal navy, and I don't believe they were ever used in combat.

·
1,792 Posts
eotechs and aimpoints. Might as well save your money and buy something else. An Eotech goes for twice as much as the 995.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Would the 995 function well as a combat weapon?

In a theoretical invasion/war would the 995 hold up as a primary combat weapon? What about a comparison to rifles that fire conventional rounds?
My order of battle would be something like this depending on the situation and threat level:

one

Two

Three

Four

Five

Six

seven

With several scoped bolt action rifles for long range work as required.

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
I still think we should be equipping the Iraqi troops with 4095's instead of M16's. Cheaper and better rifle for an untrained / semi undisciplined soldier.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thnaks for the good replies... Well I'm looking for a rifle I can use "on the field" so to speak... Basicly I want a rifle that if SHTF I can use as a fair defense in an invasion type scenario. After all we gotta keep this country free.

Is there battle worthy rifles around the same price range or at least under 350-400? Damn... I was hoping a 995 could handle, but then reality hit me. If only those extreme shock rounds weren't so expensive :p I'm still going to Hi-point for a side-arm though.

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
SKS

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks... Hmm they are pretty cheap used, but the small clip is the only thing that turns me off... SKS-M is more than an AK according to another site so I might just get an AK, plus a friend told me theres an aftermarket part that makes civilian models go bangbangbang. :wink:

I guess I still have plenty of time to get opinions and research before I buy.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
I'm in the market for an AK also. I LOVE my 995! But in a true SHTF situation I want 30 rds of 7.62x39 rather 10 rds of 9 MM.

It seems like my local Dunhams has a sale once a month or so. Wasr 10 Hi Caps for $250.

I've been researching them for a while, looks like they are the Hi Points of AKs. Not so pretty but they go bang every time.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
A couple of months ago I picked up a new Saiga in 7.62x39 for $299.99 + tax. As configured from the factory, you're looking at a 10-round mag firing true MBR rounds. With less than $100.00 in US replacement parts, you could legally use a hi cap AK mag on such a rifle. With a few MORE dollars, some elbow grease, and relatively simple DIY gunsmithing, you could have a semi-auto AK clone.

..Or go with a Milsurp SKS. Those are probably your two least expensive options for true semi-auto "combat rifles."

Having said all of this, I could see the 995 serving admirably in an urban combat situation, or even light zombie control. Anything beyond 100 yards, however, and i wouldn't trust it to do much more than tell the bad guys where you are; leaving you vulnerable to their assault rifles or hi-powered hunting rifles.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
You mean the People's Republic of Kalifornia?

Sorry, I couldn't resist the cheap shot. I'm a weak, weak man.

1 - 20 of 225 Posts