995 as a combat weapon?

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by Loxxa, Jul 18, 2008.

1. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

2. okay, well combat can be a lot of things remember that.

The BAR was and would be by many definitions in here a GREAT combat weapon.

Until you step inside, and swing that 42" 24lb behemoth around a door.

3. TxGun

TxGun Member

There is a significant difference between a specialized tool that the military might use for certain combat applications, typically urban house-clearing (ex. HK MP5), and a general application combat weapon as posed by the original question..."In a theoretical invasion/war would the 995 hold up as a primary combat weapon?". The military has all sorts of specialized tools that it doesn't consider "primary" combat weapons. At best, the 995 would be a temporary solution until a better option could be secured. The answer to the OP's question is obviously "while it might "hold up" for some period of time (before the FP bends...j/k), it is certainly not adequate as a primary combat weapon." And bringing up obsolete combat weapons (like the M1 Garand), while they may have been the absolute very best available in their day, does not really qualify as a cogent argument as to what constitutes an adequate primary combat weapon today. (Although, IMO, the great Garand rifle, even with it's 8 rd. capacity, would certainly be better than the 10 rd. PC 995 for any long-term combat application).

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  4. SWAGA

You'd have to fight your way to a better gun.

5. still take it over a pistol. :llama:

6. TxGun

TxGun Member

Yes sir, exactly. And I'm not denigrating the 995. It's great for many things short of actual combat. I have one, and I really like it. Terrific value.

7. i agree with this,

I still dont get all the people yelling ILL TAKE MY MOSIN.

I wouldn't not under 100yards. thats for damn sure.

i do like the beginning of this thread when SKS was barely more than an carbine, id pick it to.

8. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Indeed! The Mosin, with its rough-cycling bolt and recoil would be atrocious at close range--even against a handgun.

As for HP carbines, I have the 4595, and I would be confident using it for self defense, even though I wouldn't want it being my primary weapon for a deployment.

9. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I had a friend call the other day offering me his SKS with 400 rds ammo for $400. I already have an AK, but it is a very sweet deal?
    I will have to Pray on this one!

Attached Files:

10. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I already have a couple of AK-pattern rifles, and I have an SKS, but I would jump all over what your buddy is offering if I were you. The SKS is not becoming any more prolific, so when you get a chance to get a nice example of one, you might as well just add it to the collection.

11. uavdb

uavdb Member

Maybe in a close quarters the 995 might be ok, but, if its all you have then its all you have. I have my AR and shorty SKS as primary choices. Of course, living in CommieFornia I am limited to 10 rounds, but those are going to be a pretty hot 10 rounds, compared to the 9mm.
    Knowing my luck (and age) I'd likely keel over from too much excitement and forced exercise before I had to worry about shouldering anything.
    Getting old sucks. :eek: Maybe I would be better off sniping with my Mosin Nagant from a lawn chair!

12. Django

Django Member

Crap. Now I want an SKS. That is a very fair price for what you're getting.

13. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    That prayer should start with, "Thank You Lord for this gift you have bestowed on me".

14. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Amen brother Rich!

15. MachoMelvin

The friend is a church custodian. He received the gun for FREE from a widow at his church, after her husband passed away.

16. SWAGA

So how come he's not selling it to you for two-fiddy then?

17. MachoMelvin

I think he needs the $$$, or he wouldn't sell it at all?

18. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Well open your heart & wallet and help that poor man out. It's the Christian thing to do.

19. SWAGA

Is he a prosperity - evangelist?

' The Lord giveth and I selleth '

20. MachoMelvin

My heart bleeds for him, but my wallet is on the short side until after April 15th?