Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Does anyone on the board keep a trunk gun in their car? I've been thinking that I might start keeping my ATI-stocked 995 in the trunk of my car, just in case I might need it in a drastic situation or to help out an LEO who's outnumbered. I know I can't keep it loaded, but I should be able to put the loaded mags in my glove box since they DO fit my C9, which I carry every day!

Figured I could hide it tucked back up under the rear package shelf with it held in place with a couple of speaker magnets attached to the barrel and receiver.

Any thoughts?

·
You know who I am
9,304 Posts
I've been thinking about using my 995 as a truck gun (I have a pickup...so no trunk for me). I don't know that I'd bother with holding it in with magnets and whatnot, I'd probably just wrap mine in some old towels and throw it in the floor.

G

·
Hi. Does anyone on the board keep a trunk gun in their car? I've been thinking that I might start keeping my ATI-stocked 995 in the trunk of my car, just in case I might need it in a drastic situation or to help out an LEO who's outnumbered. I know I can't keep it loaded, but I should be able to put the loaded mags in my glove box since they DO fit my C9, which I carry every day!

Figured I could hide it tucked back up under the rear package shelf with it held in place with a couple of speaker magnets attached to the barrel and receiver.

Any thoughts?
[email protected] just in case..

first..you would need the 40cal carbine and jcp handgun to be able to stick the loaded mags in the glove...the 9mm compact clips dont fit the 9mm carbine..only the 40s do.

second..throw some targets and safter glasses in the trunk...im rpetty sure your state law allows you to carry without a problem to and from the range...you just happend to be on the way to the range when the LEO needed backup ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, Merc . . . that's not a bad idea. I've been toying with getting a 4095 too, but want to wait until the new stock comes out on them! As far as the mags for the 995 fitting my C9, they seem to slide in just fine and lock in place with the mag release button letting them drop out freely even though they do stick out a little past the mag well (10 shots for 995 vs. the 8-shot mags I normally use in my C9). I admit I haven't actually tried firing my pistol using a mag from the carbine, but racking the slide seems to pick up and chamber a cartridge just fine from one of the 10-shot carbine mags.

Any one else have practical experience using a carbine mag in a C9? How well do they work?

Slick

·
Registered
224 Posts
They "work" in a controlled environment. The base needs the plastic spacer found on the 10rd mags for the pistol. The 995 mag wiggles around and is prone to ftfs. I personally would never use one in my C9, unless its a last resort!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 995 (ATI-stocked) is my truck gun. I bought a plastic hard-case for a break-down shotgun off eBay and my 995 with three loaded magazines fits in it very nicely. I drive a Toyota 4Runner so it's more lie my "SUV Gun", I guess. It lives back in the parcel area. I made myself a fake color decal and placed it on the outside of the box just in case a prying eye looks in and wonders what might be in the box. The sticker says "CRAFTSMAN".

I also have a large pistol box wherein I keep at least one reload for every handgun I ever carry (loaded speed strips, loaded magazines, etc.). I figure if any really big SHTF, I can fight my way to my truck and get reloaded and grab a long gun. ;)

I have a large plastic Rubbermaid trunk that I keep in the back where I keep all of my car essentials (flares, jumper cables, fluids, etc.) as well as the pistol box full of reloads. I call it my "Bauer Box" in reference to Jack Bauer on the TV show "24". There was an early episode where he had a box in the back of his SUV with a load of pistols, an AR and other paraphernalia. :)

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Prying eyes will be just as interested in selling your "craftsman" as your rifle, probably more so.

You should put a giant MADE IN CHINA sticker on it.

G

·
the guy whos thinks he stealing a craftsman power drill is gonna be soo happy to find out hes actually got a tactical hi-point when he gets home and pops the lid on that !

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I keep a cheap Nagant revevoler in an even cheaper holster velcroed to the back of the center console in my truck. Its within reach, and I dont let people ride in the back so its out of sight too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
As it is out of sight, the folks I am concerned with are those at the car wash, valets, etc. I am trying to discourage forced entry into the case, not theft. I could put a sticker that said, "Dog Crap Storage Unit" on it and there are plenty of morons that would steal it anyway. Half of them would steal it just because they are illiterate. I guess I could put one of those biological warning stickers on it, but then the young "Hot Topic" shopping miscreants would steal the case for the damn sticker. As we seem to be living in Bizarro World today (up is down, bad is good), maybe I should put a sticker on it that says, "Valuables Enclosed". All of the mental midgets would assume it was bogus and not touch it.

But I take your point.

G

·
As it is out of sight, the folks I am concerned with are those at the car wash, valets, etc. I am trying to discourage forced entry into the case, not theft. I could put a sticker that said, "Dog Crap Storage Unit" on it and there are plenty of morons that would steal it anyway. Half of them would steal it just because they are illiterate. I guess I could put one of those biological warning stickers on it, but then the young "Hot Topic" shopping miscreants would steal the case for the damn sticker. As we seem to be living in Bizarro World today (up is down, bad is good), maybe I should put a sticker on it that says, "Valuables Enclosed". All of the mental midgets would assume it was bogus and not touch it.

But I take your point.
LOL you make some pretty good points yourself !..good stuff...a "radioactive chemotherapy waste" sticker and your good to go !

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
I just bought my 995 today and its slinged and loaded behind the bench seat in my truck. Just in case the odd shoot out starts and I'm around... you know, just in case.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
the folks I am concerned with are those at the car wash, valets, etc.
If my gun is in there when I give it to them, and not when I get it back....I will have a pretty good idea where is has gone.
Im not worried though since I get my truck washed free when it rains, and Im too cheap to go anywhere that would offer a valet.

·
You know who I am
9,304 Posts
Im not worried though since I get my truck washed free when it rains, and Im too cheap to go anywhere that would offer a valet.
+1

I used to keep my Nagant in my glove box, but I just don't see it being very practical. Mine's basically single action only, and I can generally only hit the target 50% of the time at 15 yards or so. I figure a Glock on my side with 18 rounds in it, 1 19rnd spare and a 33rnd spare in my truck will take care of about anything, but the 995 will probably stay in there for if 30yrd + shots were needed or something. If something was going on farther away than that, I'm pretty sure I could get closer without attracting much attention.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
The Centerfire Systems flyer that comes out usually has a 3" and snubby revolvers for sale for under $250. They don't mention the brand or model.

The only plus to using Nagant is that you can be pretty much sure that once they shoot the rounds in it, they'd never find anymore ammo for it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The only plus to using Nagant is that you can be pretty much sure that once they shoot the rounds in it, they'd never find anymore ammo for it.
Too funny. And very true. :)

G

·
Funny, this is the very reason I bought my 4095. Then, after 1point sling, Aimpoint, rails and flashlight I decided it cost too much to leave in the trunk. Stupid accessories :cantlook:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts