Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Administrator
28,335 Posts
Just as a reminder, yes, Hi Point did at one time maintain a list of LEO departments which either authorized, approved, or purchased Hi Point carbines for use.

I haven't heard about it in a while, but the list may still be available.

Peace favor yours sword,
Kirk (yes, Necrothreading again)

· Administrator
28,335 Posts
Hey,
As a Active Duty MP, I'm having difficulty seeing this getting okay doked by the higher ups. Why issue HPs on base when the arms room is full of ARs? The DA Coppers have access to the same stuff that the MPs have. Maybe a few have their own kit while on patrol, that's "off the books". I'm having difficulties seeing this pass the smell test. The PM on base would have kittens if he found out that we were carrying our own stuff.
I think you maybe misunderstood the post. It's a list of LEO departments which have approved HP firearms (usually the carbines).

As far as carrying your own stuff goes, most LEO departments aren't exactly like the MP's. Some force officers to buy their own firearms. Others will allow officers to buy and carry their own secondary/backup firearms from a list of department approved firearms. Some departments will allow officers to carry whatever they want in addition to their duty firearm.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

· Administrator
28,335 Posts
Thanks for the back up on this one. I dont wanna "call anyone out" on this. It just, didnt sound right. Oh yeah, Provost Marshal would have a serious S/F if he found out that someone was carrying something "off the books". I'd see a free expense paid vacation to Kansas in someones future, if they did.
As has already been pointed out by both MachoMelvin and me, there are many small town PD's which do, in fact, require LEO to provide their own gear, including firearms.

Here's a fun read:
6 Things I Did as a Cop in a Shockingly Corrupt Small Town
"I wasn't even issued a gun or any other sort of gear. The only thing I got from the county besides the uniform was a beat-up patrol car with 250,000 miles on the odometer. Everything else -- my weapon, ammo, boots, handcuffs, a portable radio -- had to come out of my own pocket."​

Turns out it's pretty darn common.

So, the question really isn't applicable to, nor intended for MP's. It's a good thing you didn't "call anyone out" because your supposition that it didn't "pass the smell test" was unfortunately wrong. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

· Administrator
28,335 Posts
I'm just speaking to the military side. The original comment was that a MP/DA Copper was carrying a HP as a Patrol Carbine. I use to work as a City Copper in KCMO. They woulda has a S/F if you carried something "off the books" too. I realize that equiping yourself is indicitive to a small agency.
Fair enough.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.