995 Feed Ramp Problem?

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by menhir, May 7, 2014.

1. menhir

menhir Member

Several weeks ago I took my new 995 to the range and, except for having to adjust the front sight, it performed smoothly with no issues whatsoever.

On my second day at the range a few weeks later (I've been busy), upon loading my third or fourth magazine, I started having feed problems which persisted regardless of which magazine I used (I have four, all Hi-Point.) I've been busy since then too but today I had a close look-see with my flashlight and reading glasses (alas, now standard equipment for my eyes :( ).

I can see a couple of lateral score marks on the feed ramp. Sliding the end of a plastic pen up the ramp, I can feel it hanging up. I'm assuming that's where the problem lies.

I've only shot new Winchester FMJ's through it...nothing else. Nothing questionable. I'm not sure what caused this problem (I never looked at the ramp before this happened), if I should send it back for repair under warranty, or just have someone polish the ramp.

Any advice?

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Try other ammo first.

3. talon

talon the banned wagon

if it worked the first day with no issues, and you have 4 magazines, its a very slim chance that all four of them need adjustment. i too recommend trying a different brand of ammo first. one more thing, when you put them away after the first outing, did you oil them or do anything to them?

until you get new ammo, load all of them up, and leave the mags sit fully loaded, that will help break in the springs in the meantime, at least a week, try them, if it still has issues, different ammo will likely cure it.

4. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

The Winchester White box you used (?) is that round nose FMJ or flat nose FMJ?
    I know WWB has flat nose .380, don't know about the 9mm
    It's entirely feasible that ammo hitting the ramp at just barely the wrong angle wore a ridge into it.
    Before you send it anywhere see of you can take some sandpaper to it.

After you've tried other ammo that is ;)

5. menhir

menhir Member

OK, it looks like the consensus is to try another type of ammo.

To answer a few question asked:
    No, I didn't oil the magazines or alter them in any way. I didn't think they were the problem and didn't want to introduce any other variables into the mix.
    Yes, the Winchester rounds I'm using are round nose. I picked up a box of Winchester .380's for my Colt too, and those rounds are flat nose.

Sanding the feed ramp: If I get to this point, are there any preferred methods? I guess I'll have to do some disassembly first?
    (I'll try the different ammo of course, but I still have 250 rounds of the Winchester left that I don't want to go to waste. :-/ )
    Naturally, I'd prefer the carbine to cycle any good round I put through it. I bought it for home defense (and some fun shooting) and I'd like to think that that if I need to fire the Honady Critical Defense rounds, there won't be any feed problems. :eek:

What make of plinking ammo should I be looking for? Any recommendations?

As always, thanks. :)

6. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    On the one gun I did this on, I used a dremel and the bullet shaped felt polishing attachment, with some polishing rouge.

Not sure WWB fits that description.;)

Then you need to shoot some of that. Despite what many think, every ammo/gun is different, and shooting X means nothing in terms of shooting Y.

Nothing I've tried has failed. I would start cheap and work my way up. When you find one that works well and is accurate, stay with that one. My favorite in most of the 9mm guns is Wolf in the black box.

7. talon

talon the banned wagon

OMG OMG a new guy with common sense that actually takes suggestions without losing his mind or insisting her's right.......can we keep him? pleeeeeeease can we keep him????

8. menhir

menhir Member

To be fair, I have no mind left to lose. :p
    But I appreciate the sentiment.

I'm not going anywhere.
    So many bullets, so little time.

9. menhir

menhir Member

I bought the WWB ammo based on a quick web search for some cheap plinking ammo. It goes out of stock pretty quickly around here so I bought a few boxes while they had it.

Based on your statement, I researched a little more deeply and, Apparently, I should have researched a little more before I bought the value packs. :)

Live and learn.

10. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Meh. It's the internet, anything can be proven true if you try hard enough.:p

And truthfully, we have guys here who use it a lot, and have never had issues.
    And of course, we have guys that curse the stuff.