Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found numerous posts about not inserting a mag into my 995 while the bolt is locked back. I vaguely remember reading a post that claimed that this is not an issue with the ATI stock. I can't imagine how the stock would make a difference. I've been using the board's "search" function but can't find that post.
So, can anyone tell me if my firing pin is in peril? I have the ATI stock and I let a friend fire my 995 and then discovered he was loading it with the bolt back.

·
Premium Member
863 Posts
from what I see, it's not the insertion of the magazine that bends the firing pin, it's allowing the bolt to ride forward, stripping a round, without pulling the bolt far enough back to engage the sear. When the sear engages, the firing pin is held back as the bolt rides forward. However, if the bold rides forward without being pulled back far enough to engage the sear, (like when you manually lock the bolt back), the firing pin is not held back and rides forward with the bolt. (it sticks out approximately 1.556 miles) As the round is stripped, it hits the firing pin, very possibly bending it and jamming the gun. You would be fine loading the magazine with the bolt held back, if you are very sure to pull the charging handle back completely before releasing it. As this is a design function of the sear/firing pin mechanism, your stock should have no bearing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.