Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my new 995. I must say, it is nowhere as ugly as the photos of it have unfairly tagged. Actually, it is quite appealing.

The charge handle is freely rotating on the bolt with about 1/4 inch of play over it. I understand the need for this, for locking open, unlocking, etc. As such, does the handle often pinch the shooter upon first charge? I'm assuming the trick in not getting pinched is to fully release the handle after it is all the way back.

It will be a while before the temp gets up warm enough to hit the range. Thanks to the forum for all the education opportunities.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
couple of points.

You should release it no matter what - don't ever "ride the slide", on any gun. They are not designed to be slowly closed - you are inviting jams and bad stuff. On the HP if you ride the slide, you may also get a bent firing pin and jams. Since I learned this point the hard way, I have not had a single issue.

Never pinched a finger so can't help there. Pull it back briskly, let er rip. Pull trigger and smile!

·
Registered
296 Posts
:-[I have to admit, the first time I took my 995 to the range and racked it, I took off most of the skin on the back of my thumb. Grabbed it overhand and the thimb slid against the opening. You can bet I'll never do that again. Now I always grab underhand and keep body parts far away !!! ^-^

G

·
Yeah, I got bit once or twice. :'( But not in a long time. Many guns have teeth. You just gotta know here they are!

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Try a Bushman charging handle it saves a lot of hide.

Ron M.

·
Registered
6 Posts
a small rubber o-ring that fits just over the hex bolt will do the trick- the slide only needs to go in when pulled back. I don't understand why HP would leave that gap on the outside between the handle sliding mechanism and the very sharp hex.

:brow:

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
I had a Bushman charging handle on mine. When the time came to sell the gun that Bushman charging handle sealed the deal. Worth every penny+.

-'bridge

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Bushman's charging handle is one of the best mods you can get. It is so much nice and easier to use then the stock charge that the 995 comes with. You won't regret it one bit.

G

·
just a lil tip - with a new 995 be sure to check that the charging handles bolt is tight. mine wasnt.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I think it's a 1/4 inch bolt

·
Si vis pacem para bellum
548 Posts
My son made me a few nice round headed shoulder bolt to replace the charging bolt. We made it so the head fits snug to the gun but still move. I think we removed 100 thousands from the new shoulder bolt. I looks great and works even better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.