Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an older A series 9mm carbine that, with a red dot sight, simply won't hold zero. At first, I thought I had the stock screws too tight (which I did, as I was getting some failure-to-feed malfunctions that cleared right up when I loosened the screws securing the receiver shroud) but that didn't help. Tried some newer ammo too, but I really don't think that's the issue. It *could* be the red dot, but I'm having a hard time believing that because this same red dot used to sit on a scout mount on a Ruger Mini-14. I figured if it could tolerate a 223 it ought to tolerate 9mm in a carbine.

I'm going to remove the red dot and try to zero it with irons to rule out whether or not it's the scope, but I was wondering if anyone has had this sort of problem before?

Basically it would group consistently for three shots or so, then POI would shift significantly. Frequently, this would happen after I adjusted my red dot. And no, I'm not overadjusting. Sometimes adjusting my scope to move POI to the right would move it left; other times, and adjustment that should come out to be about 2 inches down at 50 yards end up being 6 inches down at 50 yards.

It could be the stock. I got my 995 second hand, and it was originally someone's truck gun. The stock is beat up pretty fair in spots. Might get the ATI replacement for it if the irons won't hold zero.

I really hope it's just my red dot. When it is grouping consistently, it will literally tear one ragged hole in the target at 50 yards!

Has anyone else ever had problems similar, or is there something I haven't thought of that could also be the culprit?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
My vote is the red-dot. Is that new to you also?

Based on how mine shoots/handles, I think I'd be able to tell if the "gun" was moving around in the stock or something goofy. But maybe not. Perhaps you're not over tightening or adjusting the red-dot, but maybe someone did. And maybe some threads are stripped somewhere. I could see stripped threads holding something till roughed up a bit (ie. taking force of a shot), then "falling off" and moving the aiming point.

I think sighting with the metal sites is a great next steps. Good luck and tell us what you learn.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, the red dot I've had for a while. I originally had it in a forward / scout mount on my Ruger Mini-14, and it held zero on that gun. I put an EOTech on my Mini-14 and decided the Millet red dot would be the perfect solution for the 995, since I'm not terribly fond of peep sights anyway. I just assumed if it could tolerate 223 it would tolerate 9mm. No screws seem to be loose or stripped as best I can tell. But I don't know, maybe the Mini damaged it just as I changed to EOTech. It's possible.

On another note, I've noticed that my butt stock flexes a bit. If I grasp the buttstock with one hand and the receiver shroud with the other, the receiver can twist ever so slightly independently of the buttstock. I didn't think this would screw with the zero, however, because the red dot stayed put relative to the receiver and barrel assembly. I figured the only thing this should change would be the cheek weld.

Probably won't make it to the range until this weekend. I'll try with irons and give a range report.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately, she didn't hold zero with irons either. My poor little rifle is sick and I can't fix her :'( I've got my gunshop sending her in to Hi Point for service. Gotta love that Hi Point customer service :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got my 995 back from the gunsmith. They say there's nothing wrong with it, but that POI can change based on how you hold it :mad: I think they don't know what they're doing. I'm going to try the ATI stock since my factory stock is beat up pretty good. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
296 Posts
From all I've read about guns going to and from HP, I would have really expected them to have replaced the stock if it was in that bad a shape.

But, I do have mine in an ATI stock, and it holds zero just fine. I replaced the HP rail with one from Bushman98, and regularly switch between a red-dot and 4x scope, and have yet to have to re-zero either.

G

·
id call HP and tell costumer service your problem like you did in your post. surely, if you get someone with some brains, they can help you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.