Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back in from the local range, tried out my new 995; Amazing! I had no feeding or ejecting problems at, using Lawman 115 FMJ. Didn't really even do much to the gun prior to going other than swabbing the barrel to make sure there was not anything in there from factory, shot a little Rem-oil into the action to ease the friction. Patterned just a hair to the right with the factory settings, one quick adjustment and it was tearing out the center of the target. Grouped surprisingly well (standing shots only).

Got a few looks from the AR guys in lanes next me. One asked if it was a hi-point when I took it out of the case, said he had never heard anything good about them. Once we went to change targets and he noticed the groupings he didn't say another word! :cantlook:

One question though, is it normal to be able to fully insert the mag with the action closed? Not a big deal if so, just curious.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
One question though, is it normal to be able to fully insert the mag with the action closed? Not a big deal if so, just curious.
Congrats on your purchase of the Mighty 995 Carbine!!
It is fun to shoot, isn't it.

To answer your question.
It is recommended to ALWAYS load the magazine with the breach CLOSED. Loading it with the breach open can bend the firing pin.
You also want to make sure to fully cock the gun so that the firing pin locks onto the sear. If it doesn't, then the firing pin will ride forward & the round will hit under the firing pin & cause it to bend.

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is recommended to ALWAYS load the magazine with the breach CLOSED.
Sorry, I had a typo there. I meant to say not able to fully insert the mag with the breech closed. It will seat with 9 rounds, but with the full 10 rounds. I noticed the proximity of the firing pin to the top round, just a little clearance there, maybe an 1/8th''. I was kinda leary about whacking the bottom of the mag to seat it. Look forward to ya'lls ideas/advice.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
I have no problem getting the mag in with the breach closed.
Have you put a drop of oil on the mag release mechanism inside the mag well? That might smooth things out.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Took my 995 out today!!!! :D Another 100 rounds or so. I was between a bushmaster and another AR. Got the usual looks and questions. (nothing ugly, just "what is that? Same comments, "I heard they were cheap." I corrected, INEXPENSIVE! Then proceeded to put 6 in groups at 100 yards with open sights, supported. They were both impressed and they both experienced FTFs. The bushmaster had to be broken down completely because his gas tube was not cycling rounds consistently. I used my ProMag 15 round mag with Blazer Brass and some Aquila hollowpoints. Not one issue. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhh! I love these kind of trips to the range! I love that Aguila HPs, 50 rounds for $26. Can't beat that in HPs!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.