995 Stovepipes

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by hpsd, Sep 21, 2014.

1. hpsd

hpsd Member

CA
    Got a 995 a few months ago, currently have about 700 rounds through it. On my latest trip to the range I had at least 10 stovepipes out of 70 rounds. This is the first time I've had this problem, as it's been very reliable up to now. Same ammo as before. (To clarify, by "stovepipe" I mean the spent casing gets stuck in the ejection port.)

I'm thinking I probably need to clean it, but does anybody have any suggestions as to what specifically could cause this problem? I've been cleaning the bore after each shooting session, but that's about it. Thought I read something about not needing to clean these things until 1000 rounds or so, but I guess it's time. Not sure exactly what I'm looking for - would I expect to see a crudded-up extractor that can't grab on to the rim of the casing?

Any ideas appreciated!

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Cleaning would be my suggestion as well. The various loads are all so different as to make any suggestion regarding cleaning intervals nothing but a guess.

Second idea would be a bent firing pin. As it's also the ejector.

Third would be the "ejector key" or extractor as the non-HP world calls it. If it's worn, dirty or broken, it could cause stovepipes.

3. boicecf

boicecf Member

Have you changed brand/type of 9mm ammo??? Some ammo is not always compatible with all brand/type of guns!!!!

4. hpsd

hpsd Member

CA
    Thanks ajole, I've been reluctant to tear this thing down to do a thorough cleaning, but looks like it's time. I saw some youtubes about how to do it and it doesn't look that bad. Should also see some examples of a "good" firing pin/ejector and extractor so I can tell if mine are messed up.

boicecf your suggestion made me think it might be worth getting a couple of different brands of ammo to see if it happens with all of them. So far I've been shooting the same stuff, but I guess there could have been a bad batch.

5. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

What brand is having the problem right now? It may be WWB? Known for light charges.

6. hpsd

hpsd Member

CA
    I've been using Freedom Munitions (new). Haven't had any problems shooting them in my XD.

7. boicecf

boicecf Member

I also use Freedom Munitions (Idaho) except that I use the 9mm 115 Gr round nose remanufactured ammo...many boxes through my 995TS, zero problems and great prices!! I have never cleaned anything but the barrel with a bore snake!!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  8. Several thousand rounds through mine with nothing but an occasional bore snake if I happen to think of it. Use reloads and about any brands I can find on the shelves.

I have yet to have a single FTF or FTE. I know it will happen but this little carbine is with me in the truck or on the tractor all of the time around the place. Someday I should tear it down just to get the dust out.

9. hpsd

hpsd Member

CA
    Well, I couldn't keep my hands off it - just got through tearing it down (thanks to 3 or 4 disassembly videos) and hosed everything down with brake cleaner. There was a thick layer of black gunk all over a lot of the inner parts, although the bore was bright and shiny.

I'll let everything dry off overnight, then spray it down with Rem Oil and see if I can get it all back together. With any luck I should be able to post a range report tomorrow night.

10. hpsd

hpsd Member

CA
    OK guys, just wanted to give a quick update. After tearing it down and doing a thorough cleaning I got it back together this morning and went to the range this afternoon. Using the Freedom Munitions that I had been using I got three stovepipes out of 50 rounds (slightly better than before). I bought a box of Federal target rounds and had ZERO stovepipes with that; it also seemed like the Federal felt more solid with each shot (although this is hard to measure).

Anyway, I'm putting the problem down to the ammo I was using. I've used Freedom Munitions reloads for a couple of years, and this last time the cost of new was almost the same as reman so I bought the new. They make good ammo, but for whatever reason I think the only conclusion here is that their ammo doesn't play well in my 995.

Case closed, and thanks to all for the suggestions. (Kind of glad I tore the thing down anyway - it really wasn't that bad, and now I know what's involved.)

11. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I have taken apart the 995 Classic so many times doing the ATI conversions, I could almost do it in the dark, well maybe with a Bic Lighter?