995 suddenly loses accuracy

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by tomaslip, Jul 24, 2015.

1. tomaslip

tomaslip Member

I have had a 995 carbine for 3 years now.There is about 5,000 rounds through it and now I can't hit the broad side of a barn.Used three different sight systems and 4 ttypes of ammo and it still won't hold a 1 foot group at 35 yrds...Any advice

2. talon

talon the banned wagon

Its not something that just "all of a sudden" happened unless youve bent the barrel or knocked your sights out of whack.
    Bit more detail. 5000 rounds and then out of nowhere.......more happenned.

3. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Have cleaned the barrel over the course of that 5000 rounds? Have you done a lot of mag dumps with bi-metal-jacketed rounds? Does your rifling look indistinct? Is there any evidence of damage to the muzzle crown? Is there evidence of movement where the rail meets the shroud?

These are all factors to check.

4. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

What they said.

Check the crown. Check that the rifling isn't clogged. Check to make sure everything is tight, particularly the barrel and the sights.

Might want to check the chamber too; look for build-up of crud at the shoulder or maybe damage to the shoulder.

Oh, and just 'cuz it's gotta be said, make sure you're not shooting .380ACP ammo by accident. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

5. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

Yeah, tell us more. There's more to the story...Paul Harvey...POST

6. ndindy

ndindy Member

1' at 35 yards would have to be a mechanical problem. I've had rifle/brake combos that caused actual strikes on the muzzle and still be within a couple feet at 100 yards. Crowns are debatable in importance even in long range shooting, a little ding shouldn't cause anywhere near that kind of group. If it started immediately, it's got to be either loose parts or actual damage. Losing rifling etc would be a very gradual transition.

7. GLUGLUG

GLUGLUG Supporting Member

NC
  8. ratchowmein

ratchowmein Member

Either your front or your back sight has shifted or is loose.

9. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Sound believable ?

10. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    If he's never cleaned it? Sure.

11. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah

And I had an AK with a loose brake that would hit dirt at 20 yards, 5 feet below the target at 25.

So that proves nothing.

How about a big ding?
    It's something to check.
    If it's of debatable value in long range shooting...why are target shooters so anal about them?
    I read an article in Long Range Shooting that said the crown is over-rated. But I've also read where re-crowning improved accuracy.

I agree with this pretty much.

My vote is a loose rail, since various sights exhibit the same issue.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  12. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    I was thinking more along the lines of a troll. :D

13. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Well, if he doesn't respond back to his own post, then that will be my suspicion.

14. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    I know. I was bored. Be funny if he just forgot to reinstall the shroud pins.

15. Maybe time for a vision check?

16. ndindy

ndindy Member

A loose brake would be a mechanical problem.

Asking why benchrest shooters are anal about anything is an exercise in futility, especially in this case. He's not talking about a shift of .000001", he's talking multiple MOA. Kind of like a formula 1 pit crew is anal about things that don't at all affect a 70's toyota. Crowns are vastly over-rated for a vast majority of people pulling the trigger. My sks had the barrel shortened via a chop saw and a 'crown' cut using a cone shaped grinding block. It went from an 8moa gun to a 2moa gun, I was impressed. If I had know it was going to be better than a wall hanger I'd have taken my time. :Laugh:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015