995 TS Ammo Questions

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by wingman, Aug 21, 2015.

1. wingman

wingman Member

1. What is the most accurate FMJ ammo you have found for your 995 TS?

2. What is the most accurate ammo you have found? (any type)

Please exclude hand loads.

I have only shot Federal aluminum cased ammo so far.

Thank you for sharing your experience and knowledge.

2. talon

talon the banned wagon

1) impossible to answer as a general statement
    2) only will pertain to the gun being fired from

What works best in my 995 may shoot like sh!t from yours. This topic comes up daily and it cant be answered with ba definite.

Try a few brands and see what works best for YOUR gun. Some shoot any brand, some are picky, same model gun different results.

Personal i shoot Perfecta or Speer Gold Dot (i get it cheap) and can do 3inch groups at 50yds all day.

In another 995 that could change.

3. wingman

wingman Member

Thanks, Talon. I can do that.

4. A friend told me this week that his 995 carbine and his Kahr CM9 hate blazer brass ammunition. (I laughed, as mine was FTF on each second round of that very stuff). His will shoot the aluminum case Blazer just fine. I haven't tried that yet.

the other issue is resolved by tapping the magazine so its against that back wall.

5. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Wingman, now this is a bit "out of the box" for your original question, but of all the different ammo brands I have used, (most of the cheap stuff) I have seen little difference in a properly functioning gun. Now I did get a definite power drop off (noticeable) with perFecta, but it was accurate. Soft shooting and easy to stay on target. Plus, It's CHEAP for brass.

Someone asking this question (and T is right, it gets asked a LOT!) I will now say "Try Underwood". It is a premium full-power ammo, also +P and loaded consistently. But for a "premium ammo", it is quite reasonably priced! (last I checked) :p I'm going to try some pretty soon, at around 60¢ to 75¢ per round (iirc) it's worth a look. Some hollow points will be more. I'm not adding shipping, that will vary. My son paid like $1.35/round for Buffalo Bore 10mm, before tax! :eek: $1.44 per round after tax, and it was just a hard cast lead bullet, no hollow point or anything fancy at all! :mad:

For a carbine, I think these would really Kick A$$!

6. wingman

wingman Member

Thanks for the information!

7. Hipointer

Hipointer Member

Honest to God, my 995TS loves the cheap Federal, 115 grain ball, aluminum cased ammo. That is the most accurate round I have tried in my carbine.

8. PapaMAS

PapaMAS PapaMAS Member

I noticed that in general mine shoots the more inexpensive rounds better than the more expensive ones. I'm cool with that, but thought it was curious.

Actually, the best accuracy I get is with Winchester NATO rounds (FMJ) and Federal Hydra-Shock (JHP), both 124gr.

9. fzrspirit

fzrspirit Member

MO
    1. There has been very little difference in my groups no matter which FMJ ammo I use.
    2. There has been very little difference in my groups no matter which ammo I use.

I'm not trying to be redundant or avoiding the answer. The simple fact is that in my experience, my ability is ALWAYS the biggest factor in how well I group. Usually, not shooting will open my groups up much more than the worst ammo.

In other words, don't sweat it; get shooting; repeat.

10. undeRGRound

INDY
    What Range?
    I think here he's talking about 100 yards.
    At that distance, the ammo makes an obvious difference.

11. fzrspirit

fzrspirit Member

MO
    I mainly shoot about 15 yards because that's the most I can do in the back yard. I've only shot once at 50 yards and can't remember which ammo was best. I do remember the Tulammo was the worst at 50 yards. I usually grab a rifle round if I go past 25 yards.

12. talon

talon the banned wagon

At 100yds, ammo will matter more, but your talking 5inch groups compared to 6inch groups not 5 inch compared to 11inch groups. At 100yds the gun becomes the primary problem as its effectiveness drops significantly at those distances. Million dollar match ammo won't help much at that point.

13. mn_doggie

mn_doggie Member

MN
    I haven't found anything that groups well in my 995TS past 1000 yards.

Under 50 yards, virtually everything I use is more accurate than my abilities are.

14. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    So what magnification scope are you using to shoot at 1000 yards?

15. talon

talon the banned wagon

Only way your reaching 1000yds with a 995 is if you put it in your car and drive it to the other end of the range.

16. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

That's a idea we could all use.

17. undeRGRound

INDY
    I'm hoping an 8-32x56mm is sufficient :p
    Not using a PCC with that one, though! :D :cool:

18. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

My wife and I each got a 995TS about 1 1/2 years ago. We have tried a number of brands of 9mm.
    Both carbines react exactly the same to each different ammo used.

Each brand was fired 100 rounds in each gun. At 25 and 50 yards most all seem OK.
    We aim for the 5 1/4" center of a cheap paper plate.

However, group size varies quite a bit between brands. So, we weeded out some brands. The selected brands I stocked up on. By the cases.

I am talking Plinking ammo only. Not SD or any HP rounds.

Best to worst in our two carbines.
    1.Wartak 124gr FMJ from UKRAINE.
    2. Prvi 115 FMJ
    3.S&B 115 FMJ
    4. Fiocchi 115 FMJ
    5.Wolf 115 FMJ
    6.Tula 115 FMJ
    7.Winchester WB 115 FMJ
    I only stock full cases of the top 3 items above now a days.
    Your results may vary.

I consider none of these expensive. However, I cannot find Ukrainian 9mm any longer. It was tested on a few Boards .Results said it was Military grade. It was all produced in the only ammo plant they used to have. Lugansk. Just FWIW.

19. undeRGRound

INDY
    You're Married? She'd have to be a SAINT!!! ;)

20. wingman

wingman Member

Great info! Thanks!