Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this subject has been broached already.

I bought a total of six 10 round factory mags from different web sources in addition to the one I got with my new 995TS, for a total of seven mags. After finally comparing them side by side, I noticed 5 of them have a little notch on the front left top, while the other two do not. Is there a reason for this difference, e.g. some are older mags, or were intended for the handgun?

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the ones with the notch are a bolt hold open, at least that's what I discerned after numbering them then shooting 10 rounds thru each of them, and the two without the notch did not hold open the bolt after the last rounds. But the fact that there are two different types is somewhat mind boggling.

FYI - I also have a couple of the ProMags for comparison, so I know the oddballs aren't of that ilk.

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
"six 10 round factory mags from different web sources "

THAT is your problem!! ONLY buy mags from Hi Point!!! Cheaper and you know you'll get the correct ones!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't think it helps to buy them from HP. They don't seem able to make two mags the same. I have four from them and only two feed properly.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
I'm at as much of a loss as you to explain it. The mag that came with my 995TS is different than the 3 mags I ordered from Hi-Point. It has a ridge on the side of the mag about 3/4 of the way down. The others do not. All came from Hi-Point and all work but did make me wonder why the difference?

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
I'm at as much of a loss as you to explain it. The mag that came with my 995TS is different than the 3 mags I ordered from Hi-Point. It has a ridge on the side of the mag about 3/4 of the way down. The others do not. All came from Hi-Point and all work but did make me wonder why the difference?
The TS mags must have the round notch on the side to clear for the last round hold open, do not use the ones without it in the TS. The ridge you are talking about was put there to hold the original plastic extention to let the 10 rnd. mag. fit the C-9. It is now removed from the mag. It will not cause any problems with them.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The TS mags must have the round notch on the side to clear for the last round hold open, do not use the ones without it in the TS.
So is it still okay to use the un-notched mags with the new TS, or will using them cause damage to the bolt-hold-open feature?

If we send the un-notched mags back to HP, will they modify them for those of us with the new TS models?

Guess I'll make a few inquiries to the home office......

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
panoz77 said:
Here are some pics of mags and the feed lip and follower combos

From left to right:

#1 Promag 15 rounder - Stepped plastic follower that seats lower in the front of the mag than the factory mags and the front feed lip is slightly elongated
#2 and #3 HiPoint 10 rounders for the 995 - Stepped follower
#4 HiPoint 10 rounder for the 995 - Smooth follower
#5 HiPoint 10 rounder for the C9 - Smooth follower
#6 HiPoint 10 rounder for the C9 - Stepped follower

Notice on #5 and #6 the plastic extension is a slightly different design, #5 seems to fit my C9 comp a little better. All of these mags function perfect for me.

Here is an older set of pics as well that includes an 8 rounder for my C9.

Left (8 rounder) - No step on follower and no front feed lips
Middle (10 rounder) - Stepped follower with front feed lips
Right (10 rounder 9mm Comp Mag) - No step on follower and front feed lips

Left (10 rounder) - Stepped follower with front feed lips
Middle (8 rounder) - No step on follower and no front feed lips
Right (10 rounder 9mm Comp Mag) - No step on follower and front feed lips

Fortunately, all of the above magazines have functioned flawlessly without any modifications in both my 995 and my 9mm Compensated. Seems the one 8 rounder that I had (traded for one of the 10 rounders for my C9), had no front feed lips however it still functioned perfect, go figure. Not sure if that mag was an anomaly or what.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts