995 TS slide will not open

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by SomeGuy, Aug 14, 2015.

1. SomeGuy

SomeGuy Member

Ohio
    Hi there from Some Guy,

I've got a 9mm carbine with a round in the chamber. I cannot get the bolt to slide back so I can remove the round. The bolt is stuck closed. Are there any tricks to get the bolt to release and slide back?

Thanks
    :eek:

2. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

safety on? Is this a expended round?

Welcome to the site!

3. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Nope. No tricks.

Keep it pointed down range or pointed at the dirt and use a wood/rubber mallet to pound the charging handle back.

It's a Simple Blowback recoil design so the thing uses the mass of the breach-block and spring pressure to keep the breach-block closed on the chamber.

If you can safely do so, you might spray some penetrating oil into the observation port and let that sit for a while.

The biggest issue from there, besides the outside danger of an Unintended Discharge, is having the extractor rip the "rim" (I know, I know) off of the extractor groove. Which would royally hose you.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

4. SomeGuy

SomeGuy Member

Ohio
    It will not slide back either with the safety on or off, or with a magazine inserted or not. The round is not expended.

Thanks

5. ratchowmein

ratchowmein Member

Fire the round.
    Somebody had to say it. :D

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  6. SomeGuy

SomeGuy Member

Ohio
    I could try the mallet or firing strategy. I live within city limits and so ideally I would do this at a gun range. But then I would be transporting a gun with a round in the chamber. But I guess the same would be true if I were taking it to a gunsmith, too, so maybe I just have to live with the transportation risk of being pulled over.

How would you handle this?

7. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    If it's the round keeping it closed, gently pry the end of the extractor off the edge of the round.

8. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Firing it is just a joke. First off, it could be dangerous, particularly because you don't know what's keeping the breach-block closed. You could kaboom. Second, you may not be able to fire it even if you wanted. The firing pin is striker style and it resets when the breach-block cycles. If you've pulled the trigger on the round once already and the breach-block didn't cycle, then it's likely that the firing pin is in its forward state. But that may or may not be the actual case. Whatever the case, don't do that.

As Cicpup says, you can find out if it's the case jammed which is keeping the breach-block closed or if it's something else but gently prying the extractor claw off of the extractor groove and manually locking back the breach-block. If you slip the extractor free of the round and the bolt-handle moves freely (with spring resistance, of course), then you know it's the round is jammed in. You can then lock it in the open position.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

9. cicpup

Vermont
    Forges his own steel weapons, can kill a man twelve different ways with his bare hands and now fixes loaded rifles with a hammer? You Sir were born a few thousand years too late.

10. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

hehe

It's an old trick.

http://shortbarrelshepherd.com/sbr-pps-43c-review/

"Pound" may be a bit too "energetic" a word. "Forcefully tap" might be a better description. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

11. cicpup

Vermont
    I know. Still think you'd be happier caving in skulls with a broad sword.

12. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I suspect you're right. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

13. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    At least when they get stuck, you can just pry them out.:p

14. ratchowmein

ratchowmein Member

If it was "MY" gun, I would fire it at the range.
    But that's my gun. I don't know what's in his barrel, I only know what's in mine.
    But if the bolts fully closed, and nothing's in my barrel that shouldn't be, we're good to go.
    More than likely it's a round out of spec, and firing it will free the shell.
    BUT, that's my gun.
    AND, I also wouldn't be cycling live ammo. :eek::rolleyes: