Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 995 HI-Point and my father(AR-15) and Uncle AK-47 like the gun but are teaseing me a little, we are having a shooting comp. this weekend @ 50 yards no magnafacation scopes allowed, Red Dots are OK. Do I stand a chance on getting this gun to be accurate with a RED Dot scope, not sure I put my first 30 Rounds though it today an I think I can do it but would like to hear you thoughts, they are both shooting Iron sights as far as I know unless they upgrade before then.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I don't see why not. I did this with a red-dot at 25 yds, just leaning on the shooting stand while at an indoor pistol range.

That's a full mag. The orange dot is about 1.5".

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Quick, buy a muzzle break. Just kidding. I've only got to shoot about 100 rounds through a 995 and the one thing i dont like is the iron sights. They are great for hitting a pie plate. But you may want to get some kind of dovetail sight on the rear instead of the peep. Or just slap a quality red dot on there. You should do ok as long as you are the same or better quality shooter as your dad and uncle.

·
Registered
191 Posts
If either of them uses Wolf or similar ammo, your chances will be much greater. I don't think I've seen cheap 6.8, but then again, I've never looked for it.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I have an AK and the HP and trained heavily with the M-16 (.223 sure but still should apply) and at 50 yards with a properly sighted red dot the 995 will beat the AK and lose to the AR given the shooter is the same. There wont be a lot of difference though between any of them at 50 yards. Now at 200 yards plus the AR is going to smoke you both given the same caution as above. The AKs strength is not 1" groups it is a combat weapon that will fire almost no matter what. The AR was designed as a rifleman's weapon with solid accuracy out to 400 yards, so in a way you are playing to the ARs strength. Besides who cares if the groups are 1" or 3", target is just as dead with any of these weapons.

Change up the conditions and dump mud into all the receivers first or who can shoot the cheapest. Then the AK and the HP have all the advantage.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
If either of them uses Wolf or similar ammo, your chances will be much greater. I don't think I've seen cheap 6.8, but then again, I've never looked for it.
There's a lot worse than Wolf out there right now though I would take Bear over Wolf any day. Wolf isnt so bad that its going to make a lot of difference at 50 yards from what Ive seen its just fires dirty but Ive seen Federal do that. Am I wrong?

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
About the only thing out there worse than wolf a A-MERC. that stuff is awful. wolf goes bang and thats about it.

Personally the AR is going to run circles around both of you accuracy wise. if it was overall id say teh AK would take teh cake. Money wise the 995 wins everytime.

SW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
News, just mounted a larger Barska Red Dot scope on my 995 today getting it ready for this weekend and shot a 1" 5 shot group in the bullseye at 25 yards then moved back to 50 yards and shot a 2.5" group about 2 in high and to the left of bullseye but that was at rapid fire 10 rounds in about 3-4 seconds, so needless to say i am pleased with the performance, I will be posting pics of my targets just need a little fine tunning.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just thought I would show you a couple pics of my gun I got yesterday, any my targets 5 shots at 25 yards and 10 shots at 50 yards, I got a little way to go but was very impressed woth the performance at 50 yards 2.5" group 10 shots rapid fire gotta love it.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
About the only thing out there worse than wolf a A-MERC. that stuff is awful. wolf goes bang and thats about it.

Personally the AR is going to run circles around both of you accuracy wise. if it was overall id say teh AK would take teh cake. Money wise the 995 wins everytime.

SW
Wolf is just range ammo pure and simple. I wouldn't take it into any dire situation given a choice but its cheap and hence great for familiarization and practice which is good since the cheaper you can shoot the more you can shoot. Dirty really isn't an issue with the AK so I don't really mind Wolf.

I do love my AK and would shoot no other rifle IF I could afford it, but that's not happening so I use the HP and love it also for what it does.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
practiced today and have the big comp. tommorow, I love this gun I got it shooting 1" group at 50 yards, I cant even tell how many times I hit all this is is one large hole made from 10 bullets.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rained all weekend so instead of shooting I took my uncle down and got him on his way to a concealed pistol lisenced and then went gun shopping, picked up a STEYR M-A1 .40 s&w that gun is sweet, but we will have a shoot out in 2 weeks

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
these were shot at different times but here are my results.

25 yards 1rst five shots ever out of a centerfire rifle (wasr10). wolf 122 grain fmj

Couple years later 20 rounds rapid fire with 995 at 25 yards. wwb 115 grain fmj

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
if they can shoot you'll get your clock cleaned you're pitting a pistol rd against a rifle cartridge. I'll ck in after the match good luck--RR--

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.