Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to my LGS range today and brought along the 995 along with my 1911A1 and the Buckmark. The shop just added a KRISS 45 to their rental collection.

After about 70 rounds went thru the 995 I rented the KRISS and put a box of FMJ down range thru it. Very accurate with sharp recoil, but little muzzle flip due to the innovative recoil system. The Glock mag supplied was a very stiff fit in the carbine and a definite negative IMHO. Ejected brass bounced off my head about as often as they went sideays too, kind of a PIA.

After the 50 rounds of 45 thru the KRISS I then went back to the 995 and in comparison it felt like I was shooting a .22 - lol

While a 45 carbine might make a nice match for my Springer 1911, I think I'll stick to the 9mm for fun and relatively affordable carbine range time. I personally was not terribly impressed with the KRISS, and for sure not enough to warrant the incredible MSRP of the beastie.

I gladly will wait for the 4595 to hit the streets instead.

·
1,792 Posts
MSRP IMHO is its soul downfall.

Yes Hi-Point Carbines 995, 4095 are an exceptional bargain. And I plan on my only .45 to be the 4595. as that caliber is not cheap :p:)

Yes the 995 complements the XD9 sefrvice very well. OH YEAH.

TO bad I not Ninja like Bushman. I'd make the 995 except XD9 mags :p:)

Oh Snap. HINT HINT HINT> always worth another try \

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Thanks for the KRISS review -- don't think I'll find one for rent here, but I can always hope. And, what the heck, it sounds like the KRISS is nice, but -- what can I say -- maybe not worth the $k it costs, compared to my paycheck.

Heck, I love my 995, and it's a great pair with my C9. Will I go for the 4595 to go with my JH .45? Maybe. Maybe even a strongly interested 'Maybe'. But I'll have to see it when I see it.

But as long as we're talking matching pairs, when is HP going to come out with a C762 Comp pistol to go with my Mosins? :shock:

·
Registered
996 Posts
Ejected brass bounced off my head about as often as they went sideays too, kind of a PIA.
Gahh, thats nothing! Try being hit in the head by .50AE!

G

·
The semi-auto KRISS seems like a complete waste to me. The whole purpose of the recoil system is to allow controlled fully automatic fire, isn't it?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As I understand it, yes. The benefit of the new recoil system is achieved as a submachine gun.

The carbine I fired I consider more of a "novelty" type firearm. Interesting to shoot once, but I would not care to own one. The controls are awkward, the mags fit poorly, the sight are plain military and rather "cheesey"and the recoil is pronounced. At least for me.

The latest issue of the NRA magazine indicates an MSRP on the KRISS of $2400. For that kind of dough you could add an AR and an AK style rifle to your safe and still have some money left for ammo. Or a box of 10 HP995s with red dot sights.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
As I understand it, yes. The benefit of the new recoil system is achieved as a submachine gun.

The carbine I fired I consider more of a "novelty" type firearm. Interesting to shoot once, but I would not care to own one. The controls are awkward, the mags fit poorly, the sight are plain military and rather "cheesey"and the recoil is pronounced. At least for me.

The latest issue of the NRA magazine indicates an MSRP on the KRISS of $2400. For that kind of dough you could add an AR and an AK style rifle to your safe and still have some money left for ammo. Or a box of 10 HP995s with red dot sights.
just like a PS90. fun to try but dont let your frinds see you with it.

SW

G

·
I watched that on Future Weapons when they did a test at Black Water with the prototype version. They kept talking about the knock down power of the .45 vs the 9mm and how a 9mm will not knock a human down acted like a .45 would.

Have they forgotten Newton's 3rd Law? Anyways, interesting firearm...can't say I would mind having one but at the price they want....6.5mm Grendel would be funner.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I watched that on Future Weapons when they did a test at Black Water with the prototype version. They kept talking about the knock down power of the .45 vs the 9mm and how a 9mm will not knock a human down acted like a .45 would.

Have they forgotten Newton's 3rd Law? Anyways, interesting firearm...can't say I would mind having one but at the price they want....6.5mm Grendel would be funner.
As I remember he also "cheated" on the shooting tests. THey were the hinged targets that will tip backwards. THe the 9 he was doing "body" hits mid way up the targets but when he fired the Kriss it was all "head" shots at the very top of the target. With the hinge at the bottom te law of physics say you are giving the head shot test an unfair advantage.

Not to say the results wouldn't have been the same if it was done with each gun the same way but that really bugged me when I watched it.

And it may have made a real differance

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For those who may not have seen the Futureweapons full-auto KRISS episode:

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
Very accurate with sharp recoil, but little muzzle flip due to the innovative recoil system.
then shouldn't they call it 'innovative muzzle control'? if it kicks, it kicks. My 4095 is about like a .22 kick-wise anyway.
And for Futureweapons, there is almost always something hinky (somebody spell that for me) about their tests. It's that guys job to make whatever he's testing look good. And always look.............................serious.
It's advertising disguised as programming.

G

·

As I remember he also "cheated" on the shooting tests. THey were the hinged targets that will tip backwards. THe the 9 he was doing "body" hits mid way up the targets but when he fired the Kriss it was all "head" shots at the very top of the target. With the hinge at the bottom te law of physics say you are giving the head shot test an unfair advantage.

Not to say the results wouldn't have been the same if it was done with each gun the same way but that really bugged me when I watched it.

And it may have made a real differance
I noticed that as well when I watched it. I just laughed at it, not to mention he shot the target once with the 9 and several times with the KRISS.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The other thing that bugged me through that video was a lot of the sequences during the testing of the gun, it switched from having a red dot sight to a holosight and sometimes back. How many scenes didn't go the way they wanted so they had to cut them together to make the gun look good?

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
tons of takes to make it look right, and they don't always get it right, do they. I wonder how many times 'ol Mack has to give his 'serious look' before the producer is satisfied.
As I've said, I watch that show but don't always like it. Yesterday there was some worthless 'less lethal' slug or shotgun or whatever... anyway the cut they used showed a plain hit in the upppe 3/4 of target and then when they walked out to examine it, the dent int hte target was dead center. He probably let a real expert do that one, or fired 50 times til it was just right for the show.

G

·
When shooting IDPA and IPSC we had guy's that used 9mm and those popper targets will fall if head shot with a 9mm. If they will fall to a 9mm from a handgun, they most certainly will fall from 9mm out of a 16 in or 16.5" barrel at 1550 fps.

Shot placement is the key with either COM or a head shot.

There is no doubt the .45 ACP will inflict greater stoppage etc... it's all in the shooter and close quarters is, close quarters.

Practice, Practice then Practice some more.

G

·
yeah, it seemed like they had the weight of those steel targets just right to where to 45 is the round that could hit it to that "tipping point". the 9mm still knocked it back about 1/2 the way but couldnt make it as far as the 45 so it made it look worthless. i didnt like that at all.

G

·
I think the 4095 could really do some showing off against the KRISS if they just used it in SA to SA mode. The KRISS wins as a FA type weapon, but if I were to choose a FA Select Fire Weapon I think I would still want the HK MP5 in 10mm.

That is why I want the 4095 as it is offered in .40 Cal and with the Nosler 135-gr JHP clocking at over 1600 fps, the heavier 180-gr TFMJ round ought to be a real nice smackdown round to shoot in it. I know that Ted Nuggent hunts with a G21 in 10mm and the nice thing about the 4095 is that it will give you better fps out of it's longer barrel.

After I get mine I will have to run some test thru my Chrony FI and check some numbers for an average FPS of 10 round strings.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts