995TS Bolt Face Wear

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by johnperr, Oct 5, 2015.

1. johnperr

johnperr Member

Upon cleaning my 995TS I noticed these vertical gouges on the bolt face to the immediate left and right of the firing pin hole, especially on the side opposite of the extractor. This doesn't look like a good thing. Has anyone else seen this on their bolt? I have about 1,600 round of target ammo through her. I'd imagine this will only get worse.

Attached Files:

2. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I could be wrong, but from the photo, it just looks like normal wear. I see what looks to be either grain pattern or just the remaining milling marks in the black area, and where it goes to silver, it just looks like wear marks from the case heads sliding up the bolt face, repeatedly.

If it were in my own carbine, and there were no changes in functioning, I'd keep an eye on it, over the course of each range trip, to make sure that there really isn't any degradation going on.

3. talon

talon the banned wagon

Doesnt really look abnormal to me either. Its just breaking in nicely.

4. johnperr

johnperr Member

Yes it's difficult to tell from my photo but there's a gouge dug into the metal. I suspect the bolt there is made of a composite metal insert which is fatiguing? I'll just keep an eye on it. Thx guys for the feedback.

5. ndindy

ndindy Member

The bolt face I think is made of pot metal like the slide. I'd expect it to be easier to gouge and show more wear than steel.