995ts bolt jammed closed on a round / FTE

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by Deaf-Eddie, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Deaf-Eddie

Deaf-Eddie Member

First, the qualifiers: I'm a NOOB, and I haven't fired the carbine yet - Just picked it up a few weeks ago. Brand new 995ts CA, serial number starts with "F".

So, thanks to this forum, I have NOW seen the advice NOT to disassemble the carbine - after I've already taken it apart several times, and FLITZ-ed a few obvious wear spots. Shoulda asked first... dang it. :mad:

And, NOW I've seen the advice NOT to "hand cycle" live rounds through this carbine. Oops. No accidental discharges so far! :(

My issue is, I can hand-cycle plastic snap-caps through the carbine just fine - boy, it really throws them "empties" out there, doesn't it? Champion.

BUT, when hand-cycling REAL rounds, I can get one or two to cycle, then a FTE - and/or, worse, the bolt jams SHUT, not open, and cannot be cycled. I have to stand on it and pull the charging handle with both hands to get it to open - and at that, the round stays in the barrel. Repeated attempts to eject it (with the magazine out) by cycling the action either just fail or -worse - it just jams closed again.

I've searched the forum, and either I'm not using the correct terminology, or this problem hasn't been posted.

Extrapolating a question from those searches, I can tell you that the firing pin is not bent...

Flame away if you must, but I come humbly seeking sage advice. I'm hoping that I'm just an idiot, and someone else has had - and solved - this problem without sending the rifle back to Mom, as you call Hi Point.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom and tolerance.

2. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum!..... Help will be along shortly!

3. Blondie70

Blondie70 NRA Life Member Member

I think the sizing on the ammo may be suspect. I don't think you are gonna have problems when you actually start shooting it. Don't think you have a problem !
    Good Luck !!!

4. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

We don't flame the self professed idiots. Not as much we will the self proclaimed experts.

My advice, stop cycling live ammo, and go shoot the pig to see what she eats. If it happens during live fire, you have a problem. We've had a few reported cases of extraction issues that were solved by live fire and not cycling live ammo.

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Yes, what Rach said.

Go shoot it.:)

6. talon

talon the banned wagon

That's it. You haven't shot it, so you have no clue how it shoots. Hand cycling proves nothing at all.

7. What they said! ^^^ And welcome!~

8. Deaf-Eddie

Deaf-Eddie Member

Thanks to all who responded. Being unable to open the breach with a live round in it has been a little unnerving for a rookie. I just couldn't imagine that 9mm recoil could do what I can't, with both hands!

BTW, I forgot to mention, I get the round out of the chamber (when the breach is open) with a gentle tap from a cleaning kit rod. It falls right out, but scary stuff.

I will take it to the range - soon, I hope - and try a few different brands of ammo. I think what I've been "playing with" are some reloads that my nephew gave me (in a baggie, no less). I'll try some factory stuff, and report back - but it will be a few weeks. There's nowhere close by to shoot, we have to take a trip up to the wife's sister's place to get to a convenient range.

Thanks again.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  9. talon

talon the banned wagon

For proper break-in i highly recommend sticking with a factory FMJ round. Get everything seated properly, learn the ins and outsof it, then "play" with special loads. If you jump into that kinda stuff too fast, you'll never know if its an ammo problem or a true gun problem.

10. Deaf-Eddie

Deaf-Eddie Member

Thanks, Talon. I confess that it's not a "special" load, it's just some 9mm I have laying around (and lots of it). I'll try to break it in with a box of Federal FMJ that I have - unless someone has a better suggestion (preferred brand).

11. Rachgier

Every carbine has their own appetite. My 40 eats anything I feed it, even my reloads. Some people's are picky. Best to leave the mags sit loaded until you go shoot, if you aren't willing to work the springs by had to break them in.

12. talon

talon the banned wagon

Perfecta, federal, winchester... All work fine or not. That again depends on your gun. Most HPs will eat anything but some are picky. Find what works best for you and stick with it.

13. Deaf-Eddie

Deaf-Eddie Member

I will load up the mags and let 'em sit. I still like hand-cycling the snap-caps, it seems to me that when I get a better feel for how stuff works, it increases my comfort zone, rather than just taking it out of the box and shooting it (or trying to shoot it!).

So, as long as we have already established my lack of basic skills and knowledge...

I went on the Hi Point site and bought the bag and the speedloader thingies. I can't for the life of me figure out how the speedloader thingies help load a magazine.

Now, the bag I figured out right away...

14. Rachgier

LOL

Well the Uplula works on HP mags. I have zero experience with what you picked up.

You can cycle the snapcaps through the mags by hand to break them in as well. What you really want to do is work the spring. A pencil/dowel/skewer/etc. to push the follower down and some free time will give you broken in springs.

15. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Shoot it and shoot it and shoot it.

16. dlidster

dlidster Member

I hate to speculate because that's just guessing. But, this situation appears to be one where seating depth of the bullet has it far enough forward that it's actually being forced into the rifling when the bolt closes.This ammo would shoot just fine, but when you try to extract an unfired round the rifling holds onto the bullet. Owners of CZ handguns (I'm one) deal with this problem all the time. CZ's chambers have a shorter "leade" (unrifled portion of barrel just ahead of the rifling) than that of many other manufacturers.

Rather than try to explain this in detail I'm offering a link discussing the subject on the CZ Forum. All of the illustrations are good, but Reply #6 should really clarify the situation. I hope this helps.

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=34225.0

P.S. Keep an 18"-long piece of 5/16" dowel with the gun. If you insert the dowel into the barrel when a cartridge is stuck, you'll find a slight tap on the end will break everything free with a lot less effort than pulling on the bolt handle.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  17. Deaf-Eddie

Deaf-Eddie Member

That right there ^^^^ is interesting reading. I can absolutely believe that the round is "stuck" in the rifling, just as you described. I'm a little surprised that I can't yank it out with the charging handle - and as I said, when I finally CAN get the chamber opened, the round is still lodged in there. BUT, that certainly could explain why the snap-caps come flying out, no problem.

I'm going to pull a couple of rounds out of the different boxes I have and see if I can eyeball any differences in the length of the cases... If you need a micrometer, probably not, though.

Here's something else I noticed, last time I pulled it apart - there's a pretty good "scar" in the underside of the slide, like it really got bashed or scraped by something, maybe an inch by a quarter inch. I'll take care to try and see where this aligns with the action next time I do a takedown, and may get a picture.

Thanks to everyone who has chimed in on this issue.

18. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    STOP!

Seriously, just stop thinking and wondering and fussing with stuff, you're gonna go crazy and maybe do something stupid.

Just

Go

Shoot

It.

Really. Do it.

19. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

That's what I said .

20. Hipointer

Hipointer Member

THIS^^^! Mine works great...if I am shooting it. ;)