995ts cleaning and lubing

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by sw1shers, Feb 24, 2015.

1. sw1shers

sw1shers Member

I have a fxxxxxx serial number bought brand new last year. I have about 500-600 rounds down range. I need to figure out if the fxxxxxx serial number series is still susceptible to the firing pin channel wear. Also, will WD40 , and 10w30 motor oil work for lubing after cleaning. There is a bit of metal wear in the firing pin channel

2. mitchr

mitchr Member

I'm kinda new with Hi Point & others may disagree because it's a bit different platform than other firearms, but I prefer no oil in the FP channel of my other firearms. If any lube at all, I use a dry lube such as KG-10.

I don't consider WD40 a lubricant. It is a water dispersing agent. When wet, it will feel a bit like a lubricant, but it dries out quickly & leaves a residue.

Many use regular motor oil rather than the more expensive "gun" oils, but generally prefer the synthetics, like Mobil One. Personally, I use a bicycle chain lubricant called Finish Line Dry Lube. It is teflon in a wax carrier that goes on liguid & dries to a waxy feel. I use it inside & outside because it is a very good rust preventive. (Wipe the outside real well to get any excess) It doesn't seem to ever vaporate or dry up like some oils do. I've field stripped pistols that have sat over 6 months & the rails are still lubed.

3. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

I agree. Most people suggest you not lubricate the firing pin channel. I never have on any of my firearms. And wd40 is not a good lubricant . And motor oil is too thick. A good quality gun oil is preferred. I use a thin layer of gun grease on things like slides on my polymer framed pistols.

4. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    600 rounds in you should see metal wear all over the place. Clean, lube and shoot 600 more.

And go spend $3 on some gun oil you penny pincher.

5. cicpup

Vermont
    Those "most people" own Hi-Points? The firing pin channel is also where the dolls head rides. Therefore is crucial to the slide cycling properly. Lube it.

6. sw1shers

sw1shers Member

Ok so is the metal wear damaging over time to the function? and yeah i can tell where the receiver of the gun meets the slide is a crucial part where something moves if you are running the carbine dry in that area It will end up with a broken firing pin channel and need a rebuild

7. cicpup

Vermont
    It's breaking in. It's getting better. Shoot it more.

8. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Like cicpup says, that place needs lubricated. Because it's a "sliding" type motion, the dollshead might even get a dab of light grease.

WD40 is a good rust preventative, a pretty decent cleaner (if you know how to use it right to avoid buildup), and a so-so lubricant. I don't recommend it as a lubricant for guns.

Motor oil is an OK lube for guns. As has been mentioned, most people substituting motor oil prefer the synthetics, but it's not really that big a deal. Lighter weight oils tend to be preferred.

Basically ANY kind of petroleum oil can be used with acceptable results. I've known guys who've never used anything other than 3-in-One oil and their guns are still doing just fine after 40 years.

Try to match oil weight to the parts. Slide rails might get a heavier weight oil such as motor oil or grease (yes, "bearing grease" works just fine) while springs or a firing pin block might get sewing machine oil.

If you want to "invest" in more expensive gun-specific products, most of them are good. I like Breakfree CLP and Balistol for the consumer gun-specific (more expensive) products.

However, you don't have to. You can mix up a batch of Ed's Red for pennies and that will do pretty much everything you need.

Check out my "Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance" (in my .sig) for a ton of these sort of tips and tricks.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

9. cicpup

Vermont
    How about a 50/50 mix of 5W30 & tranny fluid?

10. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Yes, that would work. Dexron ATF is one of the primary ingredients for Ed's Red.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

11. mitchr

mitchr Member

Here's some interesting lubrication info.

http://www.grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

Speaking of mixing oil & transmission fluid, I believe Grant mentions STP & transmission fluid, 60/40. I tried it out & it's really, really slick, but it's also messy & if'n ya get it on your hands, it seems to stay there forever.:)

Correction: I just reread it & the STP/ATF is 40/60.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  12. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I don't trust it.

He claims that WD40 "has incredibly poor corrosion resistance" which is in opposition to most of the actual testing results I've seen, including my own.

Brownell's Test
    CBD-Test-1, CBD-Test-2, CBD-Test-3, CBD-Test-4
    Les Jones results
    AccurateReloading Test
    TheGunZone Test
    WD40 Company Testimonials

The KTOG Test 1
    The KTOG Test 2

If he gets this so wrong, what else does he get wrong?

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

13. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I oil the snot out of the firing pin channel because of the above reasons and I do shoot irregularly so it may lay unused for a couple of months.
    HiPoints are not super tight race guns anyway.

14. sw1shers

sw1shers Member

It appears that the oil and tranny fluid is the cheapest good alternative

15. Everybody is talking of using this oil, this concoction or that oil. And I'm not saying any one is best or better than the others. But how many people, no mater what long gun store them in a manner that help create issues. Now this is me and give me any heat you wish.
    How many people store their rifles and shotguns in their safe, closet, corner of the bed room, with the muzzle up. Think about this.... ANY thing you use as a lubricant in the bore, on or in the bolt or bolt carrier group ultimately will drain into your trigger group and receiver, and attract, collect, or retain dust dirt and powder residue. Also as the oils drain thru the action, on guns with wood stocks, you will, granted over time, see the stock discolor and soften where the stock meets the receiver.
    I prefer to store my long guns muzzle down, so any excess oil, or grunge loosened during cleaning drains out the bore. Granted I need to run a dry patch thru the bore in case there's excess oil. But that's a quick task and helps you double check if there is an unknown obstruction.
    I use plain white paper towel to rest the muzzle on to see how much oil drains out and how dirty it is.
    Ok, so now I'll duck and see the opinions fly!
    Dam phone won't let me insert smiley face here.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  16. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I use a paste-type of lube for my firearms, and I work it in so that it leaves a thin film on all parts, just like it is designed for. A little gob on certain sliding surfaces will further ensure smooth functioning with the weapons. Given that fact, there is no risk of anything flowing back into actions.

If you prefer liquid lubes, you should only be leaving a light film, so there shouldn't be anything to flow onto the stock.

17. cicpup

Vermont
    Where's my head. We're talking Hi-Points here. Just place it in the bottom of your drain pan before your next oil change.

18. RobbK

RobbK Member

I run 50/50 hopes lube and motorkote

19. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Stuff the gun with saw dust to collect oil:-D . Its a HP it can take it :-D . Look my smiles work:p

20. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

I use Eds red and superlube from HF. Once you make a batch of reds it will last almost forever if you don't give it away.