995TS Compensator

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by c9-old-rookie, Mar 17, 2016.

1. c9-old-rookie

c9-old-rookie Member

NEW first time owner of carbines, and 995TS specifically. Would like opinions/experiences about whether or not a compensator is needed. And if so, what is it's benefits in real-life to accuracy of rifle?

2. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Well if you want to be part of "The Cool Crowd", it is.

None. Zip. Nada. Purely cosmetic.

3. hp995tsfg

hp995tsfg Member

Will compensate some of your money in your wallet. Only function is more weight and a bit of cool factor.

4. c9-old-rookie

c9-old-rookie Member

Well, way too old to worry about "cool", and old enough to know to hold onto my $$$. Thanks for the input.

5. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    :welcome:c9-old-rookie!!!

May "slightly" reduce time to acquire a follow up shot, if anything.

6. Not2ManyGuns

Not2ManyGuns Member

May make the shot sound slightly louder for the shooter and for people in the adjacent shooting lanes, at the firing range, by redirecting some of noise that would normally have been projected forward to the side.

7. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    See? Cooler. Do ya get awesome exhaust flames at night too? I like when they do that.

8. c9-old-rookie

c9-old-rookie Member

At my regular range, what you describe would NOT make friends and influence people....good to know stuff. Thanks!

9. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    What! How old are you anyway?? :eek: :D

10. c9-old-rookie

c9-old-rookie Member

Well, I'm a Vietnam Vet....and I carry an AARP card...:D

11. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    That puts you at least in your late fifties, besides I didn't think one could ever be to old for a cool factor! ;) Maybe you just haven't seen that one comp that really speaks out to you to get it home. :cool:

12. c9-old-rookie

c9-old-rookie Member

So, I learned a little about compensators....wandering off topic a bit, is a Red Dot sight only something to consume money, also?

13. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

They are worth it, especially for home defense. They enable quick acquisition of a target, and are still good for the range. If you are wanting precision for target match grade precision, then you would want a good scope. But a red dot will let most of us get decent groupings with it. Did I miss anything, guys?

14. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Don't listen to those h8t3rz. If you put a muzzle brake on it will feel like you're shooting a gentle recoiling 9mm Pistol Caliber Carbine! :rofl:

OK, now that I got that out of my system, there really is one advantage to having a muzzle brake. When you clean the barrel, the brake will act like a Cleaning Rod Guide/Bore Guide. This will allow you to use a cleaning rod inserted from the muzzle end while reducing the chances of wear to the Crown. This is a good thing. If you're one of those lazy upstart whipper-snappers who reject the Traditions of the Elders and use a "bore snake," then that won't help you too much.

Other than that, yeah, it's just for cosmetic reasons. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

15. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

http://brassstacker.com/hi-point/ these might actually work. I have one on a 4095.

Sad to hear you are a member of the anti-gun, pro-Obamacare AARP. I refused them because of that.