Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I bought my first gun ever - a Hi-Point 995TS. Today received my laser training cartridge. Loaded it into the chamber and tried on a bullseye target at 30 ft. However, the laser beam point of impact is always 2" - 3" on the right side of the point of aim. Reloaded the training cartridge a couple of times but the pattern remained the same, so it probably is not the laser cartridge alignment problem.

Is this the result of the factory iron sights error? Do I have to adjust the windage screw to correct this? Based on my readings of many on-line posts, the Hi-Point factory iron sights are pretty accurate. Did I do things incorrectly?

Since I have almost no experience with shooting, I am not sure if my thinking makes sense. I'd like to know your experience/opinion/advice.

·
Premium Member
9,307 Posts
If the laser is to the right of your point of aim, then you'll need to move the rear sight to the left until it lines up with the cartridge. Use the rear sight adjustment screw for that. Keep moving it until the sights align with the laser.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the laser is to the right of your point of aim, then you'll need to move the rear sight to the left until it lines up with the cartridge. Use the rear sight adjustment screw for that. Keep moving it until the sights align with the laser.
To get the target and laser aligned I have to adjust the center of the rear sight over 2 markers. The rear sight looks way out of center (max is 3 markers). Is the Hi-Point manufacturing tolerance so bad? Or did I do something wrong?

Has anyone had similar amount of adjustment?

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,307 Posts
To get the target and laser aligned I have to adjust the center of the rear sight over 2 markers. The rear sight looks way out of center (max is 3 markers). Is the Hi-Point manufacturing tolerance so bad? Or did I do something wrong?

I'd definitely take Swaga's advice on this one. One of the disadvantages of having a whole front sight assembly clamped onto the muzzle is that it can end up canted. You hear stories about certain AKs having that issue, too. The nice thing is that standard tools can be used to fix the Hi Point carbine's front sight.

·
Saved by Grace through Faith
62 Posts
Also...and this is just my humble opinion...though I love the sights on the 995 TS, the front sight does stick out a ways....and it is not hard to knock into something with them (for example the person at the gun store who checked the gun into inventory) and in so doing potentially knock them out of alignment. That said, as as been pointed out by our colleagues above...this is fortunately a very simple fix with the Hi-Point Carbine. :)

Reactions: SunnySky

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Verify that your laser cartridge is zeroed first. With the laser on, roll it on a flat surface, with a perpendicular surface the dot can shine on. The dot should stay parallel with the surface it was rolled on, and not make circles. If it is ok, then center your back sight and adjust your front. Mark the placement of where your front site is and remove the set screws. Clean off the set screws and their holes with alcohol and put Loctite on them before you set the adjustment. Zero the sight with the laser, and that should be enough to get you on paper when you go shooting. Fine tune your zero with your back sight at the range.
It’s not uncommon for the HP front sight to be off on a new gun. And I’ve never found Loctite on any stock HP parts.

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
Woohoo!! HPFF to the rescue
:banana:

Reactions: Celtic

·
Premium Member
21,391 Posts
Thank all of you for the great ideas. With a slight adjustment of the front sight, now the laser beam aligns with the target with rear sight at the center.
Those lasers aren't necessarily all that and a bag of chips. They get you into the neighborhood.

·
Registered
17 Posts

My JCP40 had aiming issues too. I kept moving the rear sight to about the 3rd marker to the right then down 2 turns. I don't think they adjust them, just mount them. It's dead on every time now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My JCP40 had aiming issues too. I kept moving the rear sight to about the 3rd marker to the right then down 2 turns. I don't think they adjust them, just mount them. It's dead on every time now.
You probably are right. Besides the windage sight is off, the elevation sight of my 995TS is off too.

·
Administrator
24,793 Posts
You probably are right. Besides the windage sight is off, the elevation sight of my 995TS is off too.
Your front sight assembly is also adjustable vertically for gross elevation adjustments.

Side note: I really should threaten to write a sight-in sticky for the FSP, but Kirk would hound me until I actually do it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
this is covered in the manual that comes with the carbine that says read before use. if you bought used and did not get one, call HP and they will send you one. rear sight is also adjustable for vertical.

·
Premium Member
21,391 Posts
When you get the front sight where you like it, blue loctite 1 screw at a time

1 - 19 of 19 Posts