995ts First Time Out

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Reviews & Range Reports' started by Mediocre_Bob, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Mediocre_Bob

Mediocre_Bob Supporting Member

Finally got to the range with my new 995. Only ran 70 rounds through it to get the iron sights dialed in. No FTF or FTE though I didn't really expect any. We'll, there was one feed failure but that was my fault. I didn't pull the charging handle back far enough when I inserted the second magazine. Used the mag that shipped with the rifle as well as the two I ordered from MOM, all three performed fine. Used the cheap range ammo.

Center and left groups were before and during adjustments. Upper right was after. Not stellar but for my eyesight and considering how long it's been since I did any shooting, I'm pretty pleased.

The wife even decided to shoot a few rounds.

ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1455480965.150088.jpg

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Well done, that will take care of whatever business the gun is used for.:)

3. Mediocre_Bob

Thanks. I bought it for HD but I suspect I'll be taking her out to play pretty regularly. Specially after I get some optics on her.

4. Dohrmc

Dohrmc IIWFWTIWRTW Member

Nice shooting! Nothing wrong with that!

5. Mediocre_Bob

6. Hipointer

Hipointer Member

What was your distance, 25 yards?

7. Mediocre_Bob

Yes, I didn't see much point moving up to the 50 yard line as the small diamonds looked like dots to me. I'm considering a scope or red dot that will co-witness with the factory sights before I move up to the longer lanes.

8. MarkWS

MarkWS Member

Nice shooting. Take a look at a 1-4x scope. Don't worry about the cowitness part. My eyesight is pathetic at distance and this gun is too fun not to shoot at longer ranges.

9. Mediocre_Bob

Thanks MarkWS, I'll put that in my notes and give it consideration. I'm kind of attached to the factory sights now. I bought a cheap ($70) scope from Amazon right after I got the rifle. It wouldn't sit down on the top rail flush so I ordered the $67 picatinny rail from Longshot only to find the MOI on the scope wouldn't come all the way down to the horizontal cross hair when I tried to zero it. So I sent the scope back to Amazon and bought the kit from Longshot to re-install the iron sights just because I really wanted to get this baby out for a spin. You're probably right. I just don't want to consider the mounting kit a waste.

10. MarkWS

MarkWS Member

I hear ya. I recently outfitted with the new Longshot top rail system. Haven't been able to shoot it with the scope yet. It may have gotten too high. Looking at low rings just in case.

11. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    What is that, SD ranges? 7 yards? :D

;)

12. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    oops, 25 yds :eek:
    Page updated after I hit "reply", I had it open too long :p

13. Mediocre_Bob

I was warned when I joined this forum this would become an addictive and expensive pursuit. Not that I'm complaining....

14. Mediocre_Bob

Just took her out for the second time. In Ocala, FL this time with my daughter and son in law. They were trying out their new S&W MP Shield. I brought my 995 along and ran 130 rounds of Remington UMC through it. Had one misfeed. Not sure why. Reloaded the same round and it went through fine the second time. Otherwise she ran too good. Used up my ammo a lot faster than I meant to. The good news is I'm shooting consistently both standing unsupported and resting my elbow on the bench. That's reassuring after so many years away from shooting.

15. MarkWS

MarkWS Member

Bob are you giving the Mag a good wrap on the bottom/back prior to inserting into the gun? I think that will fix your feed issue.

16. lschattler44

lschattler44 Member

Lol, Bob! I bought the carbine with no big plans to add anything other than a sight. After joining this forum, I now have more money in accessories than the silly gun cost, and I'm still not done!

17. lschattler44

lschattler44 Member

Bob...just curious. Did you by chance go to the USFS range off Hwy 40 in the Ocala Nat'l Forest? We used to volunteer at the Lake George Ranger District, and parked our motorhome at Juniper Springs...just East of the range. I know that range well.

18. Mediocre_Bob

Mark,

It's been long enough now I can't be sure. I think so but can't swear to it. I hope to get to the range tomorrow so I'll keep that in mind. I've got a Redball to try out as well as my new C308 to sight on.

19. Mediocre_Bob

It practically begs for accessories. I ended up with the top rail, front grip, two magazine clip for the stock and a single point sling. When I bought the C308 my wife's first question was "do you have to buy all the stuff you got for the Hi Point?".

20. Mediocre_Bob

No, we went to RD Tactical in town, NE 17th Place. It's an indoor range. My son used to go to the one in the forest before he got married and had a son of his own. I've never been there myself. May try it next time we drive to Florida and I take the guns along.