Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought my 995TS to the range yesterday and zeroed the red dot (4 MOA Hiram) at 25 yards. Then I tried to see how far I could push the carbine. Off bench top sandbag rest, I fired 6 shots each at 50 yards and 100 yards. Somehow one shot completely missed the target at each distance, so there were only 5 bullet holes for each grouping. The groupings were pretty tight, about 3" for the 50 yards and 6" for the 100 yards.

What puzzles me is the horizontal drift. All the 10 shots drifted left. On average they drifted 2.5" for the 50 yard and 4" for 100 yard groupings.

It was a nice day and there was no noticable wind in the range. Besides, there was no noticable drift at 25 yards.

What could be the cause?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trigger finger too deep in the guard causing you to A: pull the trigger at an angle, or B: torque the pistol grip.
Thanks.

Regarding B, I live in California and we don't have a real pistol grip. I have the so called "featureless" fin grip. I even don't know what the right way is to grip the gun.:cry:

·
Premium Member
35,988 Posts
To me, that sounds like your zero is slightly off.
If your group size is 2-3 inches at 25 yards, that would hide the 1-1.5 inches of drift that would increase to what you’re seeing at longer ranges.
Maybe click the red dot to move the Point of Impact 1 MOA right and see if the groups center up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If your group size is 2-3 inches at 25 yards, that would hide the 1-1.5 inches of drift that would increase to what you’re seeing at longer ranges.
Maybe click the red dot to move the Point of Impact 1 MOA right and see if the groups center up.
You have a good point. I just made 3 shots at 25 yards, the grouping was less than 1". Maybe I should fire more shots at 25 yards, or maybe I should set the red dot windage at 50 yards.

Just curious what distance do people zero their 995TS at?

·
Administrator
24,790 Posts
You have a good point. I just made 3 shots at 25 yards, the grouping was less than 1". Maybe I should fire more shots at 25 yards, or maybe I should set the red dot windage at 50 yards.

Just curious what distance do people zero their 995TS at?
Well that's a big ass can of worms!

My advice to every shooter is, decide what range YOU want to work at and run with it.

Personally, I shoot my 4095 carbine at +/- 6" out to 75y with a 50y zero. Your 995 will put in work out to 100y easily.

·
Administrator
24,790 Posts
I might agree if it wasn't for the flyer, especially knowing now that it's Cali compliant and he's got to get a weird grip.

I wonder if you could put a thumb hook on the fin... Same side as you shoot from so it's not wrapping around the grip, but more of a shelf type contraption to let you put a little more forward pressure in to your grip fingers...

Reactions: ajole

·
Premium Member
35,988 Posts
But changing the zero is such an easy thing to check. (y)

·
Registered
Anything but GLOCKS
86 Posts
These guys already probably steered you in the right direction, but maybe try a different weight bullet if the other solutions don't work. I've never noticed it with Hi Points, but a lot of military bolt actions are set up for one specific load and others may drift in odd directions without their preferred specific weight and specific velocity. I've seen a few commercial rifles not bedded good that will do that too though.

Do like Rachgier said and work on trigger control with that funky grip. Dry fire until you're used to it. Might be the sight off a smidge, try re-zeroing at a farther distance and see if you're still on up close.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you @Rachgier, @ajole and @OVERKILL. I will give it more tries next time at the range. Honestly I am very happy after finding out that the carbine can reach out to 100y with such a POI consistency and very little drop.

Another issue with the carbine is the rear sight. After adjusting the elevation screw several times, the plastic hole is scratched and becomes so large that the screw head can not hold it anymore. So now the rear sight is always at its highest position. In addition, the rear sight pushes the red dot about 9" - 10" away from the eyes. I wonder if any one has the same problem?

·
Premium Member
35,988 Posts
Thank you @Rachgier, @ajole and @OVERKILL. I will give it more tries next time at the range. Honestly I am very happy after finding out that the carbine can reach out to 100y with such a POI consistency and very little drop.

Another issue with the carbine is the rear sight. After adjusting the elevation screw several times, the plastic hole is scratched and becomes so large that the screw head can not hold it anymore. So now the rear sight is always at its highest position. In addition, the rear sight pushes the red dot about 9" - 10" away from the eyes. I wonder if any one has the same problem?
Sounds like you need a new rear sight. Mom should send you one for free.
If the previous owner had simply pushed the sight down so the adjustment screw wasn't wallowing things out when adjusting it, it wouldn't be wallowed out.

The distance of the red dot from the eye shouldn't be an issue. Many of us set red dots up that way on purpose.

Reactions: CowboyBob

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actually I bought the gun new about 1 year ago. So it was me who wallowed the screw. I did not realize that part of the rear sight is made of soft plastic. Lesson learned the hard way. :cry:

I called Hi-Point customer support. As always, they were very nice, and is going to send me a rear sight. :)

·
Premium Member
35,988 Posts
Actually I bought the gun new about 1 year ago. So it was me who wallowed the screw. I did not realize that part of the rear sight is made of soft plastic. Lesson learned the hard way. :cry:

I called Hi-Point customer support. As always, they were very nice, and is going to send me a rear sight. :)
Oops! Good thing I wasn't too nasty to that other guy!:ROFLMAO:

We've all done it. Twist something that isn't supposed to twist, torque it too hard, or not hard enough....if we ain't breaking stuff, we just aren't trying very hard.(y)

That customer service is the best thing about HP. Glad it's still in effect.

·
Registered
Anything but GLOCKS
86 Posts

Don't feel bad, if you don't have something broke, gouged or scratched you haven't used it enough.

·
Administrator
24,790 Posts
Don't feel bad, if you don't have something broke, gouged or scratched you haven't used it enough.
We had a long time hp pistol owner and forumite install his new carbine's charging handle upside down then bitch that it was scraping the shit out of his receiver cover, causing malfunctions, and wouldn't lock the bolt back in the open position. He went from pissed to embarrassed when SOMEBODY suggested he flip the charging handle over properly.... without even seeing a picture of it...

·
Registered
Anything but GLOCKS
86 Posts
Semi related, I don't have a carbine (or any Hi-Point) right at the moment, but my brother's old one was bad to come loose. Would it be better to use thread locker or a set screw on the handle?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My charge handle came loose shortly after I picked up the carbine. I tightened it up with the blue thread locker, and it has stayed tight since then. I did not use the red thread locker though. The handle may need to be removed later to clean the carbine.

·
Administrator
24,790 Posts
My charge handle came loose shortly after I picked up the carbine. I tightened it up with the blue thread locker, and it has stayed tight since then. I did not use the red thread locker though. The handle may need to be removed later to clean the carbine.
The ONLY reason to use red is if you want it to stay there until you feel like testing out your new cutting torch...

Blue, green, or purple are the only thread locking fluid you need. Personally, I threw some yellow gas pipe thread tape on mine, because somebody told me I shouldn't, but I have never had an issue with mine coming loose after thousands of rounds and dozens of cleanings.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts