·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Attachments

·
Administrator
24,380 Posts
That's a first in my book. I would have gone with an aftermarket adjustable comb, personally, but if it works for you..do it to it.

Are you able to land the upper screw to secure the pad better or is it just floating on the "bottom" screw? Seems....fragile.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's a first in my book. I would have gone with an aftermarket adjustable comb, personally, but if it works for you..do it to it.
I wanted to bring the sight down closer to the barrel. As you can see in this link I had the sight on risers & put an improvised comb on it. The new way is much more comfortable than the old way.

Are you able to land the upper screw to secure the pad better or is it just floating on the "bottom" screw? Seems....fragile.
The screws in the middle of the stock (your upper screw, correct me if I'm wrong) are in tight. It's very solid.

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
By moving the butt plate down everything lines up perfectly (springs removed too).
Has anyone ever tried this? Range report after I shoot it on Friday.

The carbine used to look like this http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/forum/f275/ts-995-fired-like-right-out-box-318645/#post2328501
So now you have the same situation as a "normal rifle"..... muzzle rise.

The closer the stock lines up with the bore axis (like on an AR15) the better the rifle shoots in my opinion.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
So now you have the same situation as a "normal rifle"..... muzzle rise.

The closer the stock lines up with the bore axis (like on an AR15) the better the rifle shoots in my opinion.
You may be right. if I find muzzle rise too much when I shoot it I'll put it back together the way it was.

On the other hand I understand that raising the sight over the bore axis detracts from accuracy. We'll see if it's more accurate now.

·
Administrator
24,380 Posts
I wanted to bring the sight down closer to the barrel. As you can see in this link I had the sight on risers & put an improvised comb on it. The new way is much more comfortable than the old way.
Right, I saw the scope on the risers and the wrap/comb on the stock. This mod eliminates the need for the comb and risers. I have grape ape arms and a very long LOP, so I wouldn't have been able to remove the springs from the butt plate. Being a taller, gorilla armed, giraffe necked individual; the carbine barely fits me as is. I tend to let the stock ride a little higher in the pocket, because there is so little recoil. It looks like an interesting mod though. I'll be looking for the range report.

The screws in the middle of the stock (your upper screw, correct me if I'm wrong) are in tight. It's very solid.
In the picture it just looks like the buttplate's #1 (top screw), now located in the #2 (middle screw) spot, doesn't have a screw in it; where the #2 (previously the middle) screw is now mounted in the #3 position, does. Hopefully that makes sense. lol

Could be just the angle of the photo, or lighting.

·
Premium Member
35,671 Posts
Higher sights aren't less "accurate", they just make parallax worse, and tend to do odd things to your ballistic curve, relative to your line of sight.
Max point blank range could be a mess.

And I really don't get the problem...the stock sights or rail mounted sights have all been easy to line up, to me.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
25,874 Posts
You may be right. if I find muzzle rise too much when I shoot it I'll put it back together the way it was.

On the other hand I understand that raising the sight over the bore axis detracts from accuracy. We'll see if it's more accurate now.
Your accuracy is pretty good now, IMO you need ammunition that will
be more precise. Like the 9mm NATO... or maybe Underwood. ;) :cool: ;)

Right, I saw the scope on the risers and the wrap/comb on the stock. This mod eliminates the need for the comb and risers. I have grape ape arms and a very long LOP, so I wouldn't have been able to remove the springs from the butt plate. Being a taller, gorilla armed, giraffe necked individual; the carbine barely fits me as is. I tend to let the stock ride a little higher in the pocket, because there is so little recoil. It looks like an interesting mod though. I'll be looking for the range report.
I can attest that he is a Grape-Ape :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In the picture it just looks like the buttplate's #1 (top screw), now located in the #2 (middle screw) spot, doesn't have a screw in it; where the #2 (previously the middle) screw is now mounted in the #3 position, does. Hopefully that makes sense. lol

Could be just the angle of the photo, or lighting.
The screws in the back of the butt plate hold tubes on to the butt plate that go into the stock. The tubes in the top 2 positions are still there. I removed the tube from the bottom position since it no longer served a purpose. The screws that hold the butt plate on are the ones that hold the stock together. They screw in from the side. See

·
Administrator
24,380 Posts
The screws in the back of the butt plate hold tubes on to the butt plate that go into the stock. The tubes in the top 2 positions are still there. I removed the tube from the bottom position since it no longer served a purpose. The screws that hold the butt plate on are the ones that hold the stock together. They screw in from the side.
Yes, I own a carbine, and have owned several HP's over the years. I know, quite well how they are put together. I have made several IPB's that are floating around somewhere. I'm not actually a corporate admin. I'm just one of these chuckle heads with a fancy title.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
25,874 Posts
Yes, I own a carbine, and have owned several HP's over the years. I know, quite well how they are put together. I have made several IPB's that are floating around somewhere. I'm not actually a corporate admin. I'm just one of these chuckle heads with a fancy title.
"Head Chuckle Head" as we like to keep reminding him :rofl:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You could try monkeying with my idea by leaving the springs in place when you put the butt plate back on. Another banana of an idea would be to put some thick plastic washers around the tubes that stick out of the butt plate so the length of pull stays the same. Just a couple of ideas swinging around on the trees in my head. :dance:

·
Administrator
24,380 Posts
No, I'm good. Adapt and overcome, the way I was taught. I've learned to shoot it the way I bought it. It's a plinker. The wife claimed it, the kids like shooting it, and making it fit me would remove their ability to shoot it. I can shoot the hell out of their little .22 cricket too.

All but two firearms are in factory configuration. My AR, which I custom built, and my competition grade 10/22 target. I bought it off a fellow firefighter as a race gun, and tweaked a few things that he didn't have right to make it run as smooth as silk.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Race guns and reliability don't usually go hand in hand. It's funny how often people build something to the point of being borderline worthless, and then are upset :laugh:

If you want reliability you keep the honda civic. If you build an NHRA quality engine, which is OMG quality, expect it to explode pretty often.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts