995ts Jamming with different mags and ammo

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by sw1shers, Jun 16, 2015.

1. sw1shers

sw1shers Member

Ive taken my 995ts out and shot 50 rounds of perfecta... had my first jam in 800 rounds. then took it out to the range and shot 150 rounds of perfecta... with 5 different mags all made either 7/2013 or 4/2014 ..... I marked the first problem mag i thought and it wasn't the mags. the Jam is the round is getting caught nose up on the feeding ramp.... and with the 995 design you have to remove the mag and re insert to even clear this... tap rack will make it a double feed. Then i loaded three rounds up in a 4/14 mag (winchester standard ball) , 2 fired fine, then the same jam. The rounds all jam the same way, and they all have a small gash about an 1/8th of an inch above the rim area... I have no clue why it started doing this can anybody help me out here? I don't want to send my gun to hi point every time there is a problem.... there shouldnt be a need to send a gun to hi point unless there is something seriously wrong.... i looked over the internals lubed them and it looks fine. IDK what changed. please help, and please do not say "send it to mom"... if i have to send it in every 1000 rounds then i will sell it... it has been a great gun so far but this has got me pissed off. It will feed hollow points fine manually cycled.

2. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Any pic's? They always help us out.

3. sw1shers

sw1shers Member

no pics its just nose up like its about to go into the chamber and stops. same thing every time. whats happening is exactly how I described... The gash on the shell casing is more like a line than a gash maybe a 1/8 to 1/4 inch line in the shell casing an 1/8th of an inch above the rim....

4. sw1shers

sw1shers Member

any pics would just look like a standard failure to feed nose up with the round hung up about a 45 degree angle almost

5. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    How does your feed ramp look? It almost sounds like something has affected its geometry.

6. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

I agree...............

7. sw1shers

sw1shers Member

looks the same as every other cleaning session

8. sw1shers

sw1shers Member

its intermittent i did a 30 round dump the day with the perfecta with no problems but other times it would happen twice in a mag

9. sw1shers

sw1shers Member

like i said it manually cycles 147 grain big nose hollow points perfectly.

10. Think1st

Florida
    Then it sounds like you have magazine issues. The spring tension under the front of your followers isn't sufficient to support the cases as the rounds feed onto the ramp, causing the case heads (the end with the primer) to sink down below the front edge of the magazine, as it feeds forward from in between the mag lips.

Hi Point or, someone else, needs to make anti-tilt followers.

11. sw1shers

sw1shers Member

how is it possible that all the mags just do this all at once? Im doing a 50 round dump of 9mm NATO tomorrow and see if i can get it to jam. Im about ready to sell this thing, this has been my home defense gun, I dont know how a gun can go from running fine to jamming when there is nothing out of the ordinary happening. And even If i get it fixed... who knows when it will start jamming again... This thing ran like an AK up until this point. I just lost confidence thinking that on my second shot on a possible intruder theres gonna be a jam that I have to remove the mag (which is hard as hell to do with this jam) rack and re insert then rack and keep firing.... also with the repeated reports of the slide cracking in the same place for the same reason I have been nervous. I really hope it works itself out or something because ive preached about this gun for a year now... and sending it back for repairs every 1000 rounds isn't in my checklist.

12. sw1shers

sw1shers Member

anti tilt..... should have just gone with glock mags from the start but i guess that means less money for hi point. Sorry but i get pissed off when a gun spontaneously and randomly starts jamming after such reliability.

13. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Try cleaning your mags people forget about that a lot. Use some dry silicon spray after cleaning. Just a thought

14. ratchowmein

ratchowmein Member

Take a good look at your firing pin. If it's even slightly bent, it can be enough to hang it up and keep it from retracting fully, to allow the fresh round to rise up and chamber. Critical jams like you're having will certainly and eventually bend or have bent the pin already. HP will send u another with a spring for free, or straighten this one in the meantime.

15. Think1st

Florida
    I can definitely see a bit of firing pin preventing the round's case head from sliding all the way up along the breech face, thereby causing that nose-up attitude. Good call.

16. ratchowmein

ratchowmein Member

If it happened in all ur mags with various ammo, all at the same shooting session, I doubt it's ur mags.

17. sw1shers

sw1shers Member

I thought first before posting, and checked all the internals. no bent firing pin.

18. sw1shers

sw1shers Member

in 3 -4 hours ill post a report... going to shoot 50 rounds of 9mm NATO.. will take a pic of the jam if there is one.. btw it was 2 different sessions

19. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

The chances of having mag issues with multiple magazines is rare. Except for the promags, they are JUNK. I would consider replacing the firing pin assembly & ejector. They are FREE & have a tendency to wear. If you have one bad round of ammo & bend the firing pin even a little, it will cause these same intermittent issues.
    Was your 995TS new or used when you got it?
    I once bought a like new 380 with 2 magazines. It would not clear a whole mag. I was getting
    1-2 FTF & FTE with each magazine. I called & ordered a new ejector, & it fixed the problem completely.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  20. sw1shers

sw1shers Member

bought it brand new and the jamming never happened until very soon as i described in the first post. the firing pin is not bent