995ts not feeding first round.

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by rippinryno, Aug 23, 2015.

1. rippinryno

rippinryno Well-Known Member

Cleaned my 995ts and shot a few mags through it afterwords with no problems. On the 3rd mag it didn't feed the first round. It appears as though the slide is not coming back far enough. I pulled it apart everything looks fine not sure why it's doing this. I cannot chamber a round with any of my 3 mags. If I manually chamber a round and then put a mag in, it will fire the entire msg just fine.
    Any ideas?

2. rippinryno

ok this is bizarre, i just broke it down again, checked everything, and again it fired 2 full mags without issue and on the 3rd mag it once again would not pickup the first round, loaded the other 2 extra mags and it won't pick those up either.

3. Radco

Radco Member

Sorry I can not help but am interested in your issue as I will be getting a 995 TS soon! Please post what you find or hopefully someone post a hint :) Good luck

4. rippinryno

I plan to call hipoint today and see if they known of a common reason for this. all the springs look fine, pin looked good, dolls head, etc was all in good shape.

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    What do you mean, the bolt isn't coming far enough back? If that were true, it shouldn't feed at all on any of the mags you say it will go through. Nor would it lock open on last shot.
    Maybe you need to man up and rack it harder?

How are you trying to feed the first round that it won't pick up? Insert mag on LRHO locked open bolt, or insert mag on closed bolt?

Can you lock the bolt back with the bolt handle?

Is the bullet getting partially moved, or is the bolt hanging on the LRHO, or the rear of the mag?

If it's the LRHO, if it's retracting as it should, you need to mash it flat, or grind some excess off it. If it's not retracting right, then you need to check the spring is still there, or clean it so it moves freely, or possibly replace the spring.

Rear of the mag indicates issues with the mag release, the mags are going in too deeply...which would be hard, considering the "battery pack" bases stop that.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  6. rippinryno

I cannot lock the bolt back. It does not come back all the way to the large hole that you can see over the receiver shroud where the bolt should come back too. I've racked the crap out of it and absolutely cannot get it to pickup a round. It does however come back far enough to pick up a round after 1 is fired, i know it's bizarre. THe other bizarre thing is that it works just fine for a couple mags, then the issue comes alive, i'm wondering if something is not put in place perfectly after install it's moving then causing the slide to not come all the way back.

Either way when i try to feed the mag i do it with bolt closed and then insert the mag, or bolt open and insert the mag it does not matter. I talked with hipoint this morning he says there is a clip on the reciever shrowd that likely is what is stopping it from coming back. I"m going to get the rifle in front of me and call him again so I can better explain what it's doing.

7. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Sounds weird.

So....is the LRHO WORKING, OR not?

If you can't lock it back, how are you inserting on an open bolt?

Take pics as you figure it out, so you can help others.;)

8. rippinryno

Yes I will post pictures because he wants me to send some to him. Then i'll report back with what's happenening. that clip that holds the slide on in the back, maybe i don't have that fully seated? ? I thought i pushed it all the way toward the receiver, but possibly not enough and maybe it worked it's way out?

the way i have to insert with open bolt is my manually holding it open as far as i can.

9. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Let me see if I can help you out there. This is on my 4095...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. ratchowmein

ratchowmein Member

Have you tried loading with the receiver cover off?
    Also try removing the recoil spring and the firing pin and spring, and see how it functions with hand racking. If the receiver clip is stopping the bolt, you'll feel it or hear it hitting.
    Snap caps or dummy rounds only!

11. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

He's got a screw torqued in too deep. When the bolt heats after a few rounds it expands enough to catch the screw. ;)

12. rippinryno

Mom wants it back. I was on the phone with Lenny for awhile this afternoon. We went through a few things and didn't fix it. He also was going to recommend opening up the mags until I reminded him that I have plenty of trouble free rounds down range with all 3 mags. As much as I'd love another mag I am not going to be sending it in unless I have to. Ffl and shipping would be 50+

Could it be my kinked spring? ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1440448159.950100.jpg ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1440448173.387423.jpg ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1440448184.560134.jpg ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1440448195.751637.jpg ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1440448206.657896.jpg

13. ratchowmein

ratchowmein Member

It's probably just the cover clip hanging down. Once a round fires it has enough force to send the bolt back hard enough to push that cover clip up and peel off another round.
    0P can't exert the same force as a round going off, to load that first round.

14. rippinryno

15. ratchowmein

ratchowmein Member

Haha that could be it. The guide pin looks pretty beat up too. Put it together without the main spring, and see if it loads around. snap caps!

16. ratchowmein

ratchowmein Member

Ask HP to send you out a mainspring and pin, and tell him to throw in an extra firing pin and springs while they're at it .
    You might be able to twist it straight, but the spring tension is probably weakened anyway.
    Make sure you get the pin on the right end

17. rippinryno

I bent spring and plastic pin as best I could. After working slide a bit it started functioning fully. I'm 2 mags in without a failure. I'll be requesting a spring and pin.

18. ratchowmein

ratchowmein Member

You can use two dowels or flat ended pencils, depending on the diameter of the kinked spring,insert them into the spring and straighten it without messing up the other coils. Makes it easier to handle.
    Should smooth out the surface of that guide pin also.
    How many rounds have you shot through the carbine?

19. talon

talon the banned wagon

Why $50???
    You don't need to pay an FFL fee to send something for repair or cusomization. And shipping itself should be less than 25 bucks.
    Your LGS is screwing you.

20. rippinryno

25 to pick it up at ffl where they will have to send it. and 17 for shipping, also not sure if I can send direct or if I have to have ffl ship which would cost another 25. 100 rds through it with no problems!

I will be requesting a new spring and guide rod. I've got 1500 rds or so through it