Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
SKS, old .38 revolver, broken 995TS that won't charge
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello community - I have been reading through these forums for a few weeks. Actually it was some of the people posting here about the HTA bullpup stock and the Hi-Point lifetime warranty that convinced me to pull the trigger (awful pun, I know) on a Hi-Point 995TS.
It is used. I never had it to the range until the HTA stock arrived a couple of days ago. I've had my SKS in three different stocks and continue to switch between them so I didn't expect any problems. I followed the HTA manual step by step.
Or tried to. The factory takedown pins are ridiculously inconsistent. They may as well come from two different firearms. HTA support verified that they have seen this before. Banged the stock up pretty ugly with a rubber mallet trying to get the locks closed, as recommended by HTA. That done, everything seemed okay. I headed to my family's property to test the new stock. I had a box of Federal 147 grain JHP so that's what I brought with me.
The first round failed to feed. And the next. And the next. Okay. I switched back to the factory stock (having brought it with me) and made sure I was using the factory mag. FTF. Then, what I thought was another FTF was in fact a round stuck in the chamber. It's almost as if the barrel isn't 9mm at all.
I of course don't want to take it to a gunsmith with a live round stuck in the chamber. Just ordered some CLP and a cleaning rod but, if I am honest, I am wary of trying to get the bullet out of this thing. I have fired exactly three firearms in my life - only one that uses magazines. A shotgun, my perfectly reliable SKS and my equally as reliable S&W .38 revolver. I've never seen anything like the plastic garbage all over this carbine. My SKS fires anything that's 7.62x39 from any magazine that fits - original box, 20 round aftermarket box, duckbills, trimmed Tapco mags for the bullpup stock. Whatever. Whenever. I have no idea how to proceed. The people posting on this forum have so much knowledge about various firearms that I feel fairly stupid posting this here. That said, I imagine I'm doing something wrong, given the overwhelming number of posts about the reliability of these carbines. I really need help here and I am grateful for any advice. Thanks all.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Sorry about your troubles. I can tell you that from reading on here the Hi Point carbines tend to like FMJ ammo. I haven't tried JHP in mine but have had no issues with any 9mm FMJ including brass, steel, and aluminum case.
I can't speak about disassembly either....over a 1000 rounds and I haven't cleaned it yet. Hi Point says 1500 so I'll probably run a bore snake through it after next range trip and that's about it.
Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry about your troubles. I can tell you that from reading on here the Hi Point carbines tend to like FMJ ammo. I haven't tried JHP in mine but have had no issues with any 9mm FMJ including brass, steel, and aluminum case.
I can't speak about disassembly either....over a 1000 rounds and I haven't cleaned it yet. Hi Point says 1500 so I'll probably run a bore snake through it after next range trip and that's about it.
Good luck!
Thanks for that, CowboyBob. I actually just stripped it down and, once I got the doll head out, I was able to simply pull the round out of the chamber. This is just so different from the rifle (7.62x39) I am familiar with. Never fired a blowback rifle before.
I read a couple of posts where members said to make sure to pull the bolt back and let it fly when chambering a round. Is this the correct procedure in your experience?
With the FMJ ammo you use, will the round freely slide down the barrel? My understanding is that the appropriate round should do so. I know I'm doing something wrong. I just don't know what.

·
Registered
115 Posts
A 995TS is an extremely reliable firearm when treated properly, but It sounds like you have a lot going on with yours and its peripherals. If it were me, not knowing the history of the gun, whether or not you have an operator's manual, have followed the take down and reassembly procedures as specified by the manufacturer, what the condition of the gun is after your repair attempts, or have used the Blazer Brass Model 5200 115 grain FMJ rounds that Hi-Point uses as the test cartridge at the assembly plant I would:

1) Have a licensed and qualified gunsmith prepare the gun for shipping.

2) Contact Hi-Point, tell them of the problems, what you have done to the gun and request the gun be sent to them to be repaired to safe and reliable condition if possible.

🍀

·
Super Moderator
5,072 Posts
View attachment 73532
Should the barrel have those striations?
Meaning no disrespect, it sounds as if you're not overly familiar with firearms. Yes, the striations should be there - they are the rifling lands and grooves that make your bullets spin. As to your other question about operating the bolt when loading (charging) - for ANY semiauto firearm - rifle, carbine or pistol - pull the slide or charging handle firmly to the rear and release it. Let it "slam home" under it's own power. That's how they are designed to work. "Riding the slide" to gently chamber a round will only cause problems. Just think of how they slam when operating during the firing cycle. Ain't nuthin' gentle 'bout that! As for your other problems, my guess is that something isn't assembled correctly. We have several gunsmith/armorers here who should be along shortly with suggestions

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Meaning no disrespect, it sounds as if you're not overly familiar with firearms. Yes, the striations should be there - they are the rifling lands and grooves that make your bullets spin. As to your other question about operating the bolt when loading (charging) - for ANY semiauto firearm - rifle, carbine or pistol - pull the slide or charging handle firmly to the rear and release it. Let it "slam home" under it's own power. That's how they are designed to work. "Riding the slide" to gently chamber a round will only cause problems. Just think of how they slam when operating during the firing cycle. Ain't nuthin' gentle 'bout that! As for your other problems, my guess is that something isn't assembled correctly. We have several gunsmith/armorers here who should be along shortly with suggestions
No disrespect noted, histed, and thank you. This is exactly what I was looking for. No, I am not familiar with firearms in general. The only rifle I have ever fired is my SKS and, well, it’s very forgiving.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A 995TS is an extremely reliable firearm when treated properly, but It sounds like you have a lot going on with yours and its peripherals. If it were me, not knowing the history of the gun, whether or not you have an operator's manual, have followed the take down and reassembly procedures as specified by the manufacturer, what the condition of the gun is after your repair attempts, or have used the Blazer Brass Model 5200 115 grain FMJ rounds that Hi-Point uses as the test cartridge at the assembly plant I would:

1) Have a licensed and qualified gunsmith prepare the gun for shipping.

2) Contact Hi-Point, tell them of the problems, what you have done to the gun and request the gun be sent to them to be repaired to safe and reliable condition if possible.

🍀
I think that is solid advice, Celtic, thank you. I can’t know how the previous owner treated this carbine but I don’t think my hands are supposed to be black (I am European-American) merely field stripping it as per the manual.

·
No Longer Here
25,053 Posts
I think that is solid advice, Celtic, thank you. I can’t know how the previous owner treated this carbine but I don’t think my hands are supposed to be black (I am European-American) merely field stripping it as per the manual.
That right there could be half the problem. Dirty firearms breed malfunctions. I know people around here love how dirty these guns can get and still run, but my OCD prevents me from not cleaning my firearms regularly. I even dust my displayed firearms and compound bows regularly because I just can't leave them like that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That right there could be half the problem. Dirty firearms breed malfunctions. I know people around here love how dirty these guns can get and still run, but my OCD prevents me from not cleaning my firearms regularly. I even dust my displayed firearms and compound bows regularly because I just can't leave them like that.
Rachgier, you are one of the users here whose comments convinced me to purchase this carbine so I am happy to read your response.
It will probably sound dumb to many here but the comments about this carbine evoke the SKS for me. The simplicity of the rifle, the reliability in adverse conditions and the expectation that, even filthy, it will still fire. And I, like you, just cannot stand a dirty rifle. A thorough cleaning is definitely in order, though, regardless of our compulsions 🤐

·
Registered
295 Posts
Thanks for that, CowboyBob. I actually just stripped it down and, once I got the doll head out, I was able to simply pull the round out of the chamber. This is just so different from the rifle (7.62x39) I am familiar with. Never fired a blowback rifle before.
I read a couple of posts where members said to make sure to pull the bolt back and let it fly when chambering a round. Is this the correct procedure in your experience?
With the FMJ ammo you use, will the round freely slide down the barrel? My understanding is that the appropriate round should do so. I know I'm doing something wrong. I just don't know what. View attachment 73531
Hi Whisper, the answers you have received from others are all good.
All semi automatic weapons should have the bolt or slide pulled back and let fly. If you watch as they are fired they slam due to the firing of the round.
The striations are the lands and grooves and I believe I can see some machining marks as well.
The round will not slide down the barrel even when pulled from the case.
When the primer is struck by the firing pin it sets off the charge in the case. This charge builds up pressure and forces the bullet down the barrel. The bullet is squeezed by the rifling and that imparts spin as it travels down the barrel. The lands and grooves will make rifling marks from this which is where ballistics experts can ID the gun a round has come from.
Hi Point's warranty is best in business so I would send it in and let them check it out!!

·
No Longer Here
25,053 Posts
Rachgier, you are one of the users here whose comments convinced me to purchase this carbine so I am happy to read your response.
It will probably sound dumb to many here but the comments about this carbine evoke the SKS for me. The simplicity of the rifle, the reliability in adverse conditions and the expectation that, even filthy, it will still fire. And I, like you, just cannot stand a dirty rifle. A thorough cleaning is definitely in order, though, regardless of our compulsions 🤐
Well alrighty then. Glad to have been a positive influence. Most folks think I'm an asshole. :ROFLMAO: 🤷‍♂️

I'll echo the warranty comments as well. HP does the no questions asked, lifetime of the weapon thing, regardless of owner count. Send it back with all of your mags, and they SHOULD throw in a free magazine for your trouble. I know they used to, but it's been a while since I've seen it mentioned here.

·
Super Moderator
5,072 Posts
No disrespect noted, histed, and thank you. This is exactly what I was looking for. No, I am not familiar with firearms in general. The only rifle I have ever fired is my SKS and, well, it’s very forgiving.
SKS is a good weapon, under rated by many because of the low mag capacity. Very reliable and accurate in my experience. Between that and the carbine you should have a good 1 - 2 punch. Once you get the carbine running, check out the Redball mags. The look stupid, but hold more rounds and wrkk fairly well

Most folks think I'm an asshole. :ROFLMAO: 🤷‍♂️
Maybe, but you're OUR a$$hole.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Man, thank guys! Happy to be schooled by veterans any time. Having completely disassembled the carbine (following the Hi-Point manual), I understand the many comments across these forums about the simplicity of th firearm. It’s actually genius in its simplicity. My wife has only ever fired my SKS but, looking at the stripped action, she quickly identified various components. I am proud to the point of approaching jealousy. 😊
I think, as histed and Rachgier noted, riding the slide and a filthy firearm explain most of the problems I have had. This was a, “meet me in a Northeast Philly Home Depot parking lot“ special so of course the carbine’s pedigree is unknown.
All of that said, I want to note that Andy from HTA has been great. He knows a lot about these rifles. Almost as much as some of you all.

·
Super Moderator
9,521 Posts
My first thought when you mentioned chambering issues and that it seemed like it was meant for another cartridge, was you had a 3895, but your pictures disproved that.

2nd, make sure your magazines are fully seated. Often you need to push up on the base of the mag to seat it fully, even though it looks like it is already seated.

And, as was already mentioned, if it’s so dirty that it’s getting you dirty, clean it. They seem to run fine when dirty, but everything has its limits!

Finally, send it back for warranty work. Hi Point will definitely take care of you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My first thought when you mentioned chambering issues and that it seemed like it was meant for another cartridge, was you had a 3895, but your pictures disproved that.

2nd, make sure your magazines are fully seated. Often you need to push up on the base of the mag to seat it fully, even though it looks like it is already seated.

And, as was already mentioned, if it’s so dirty that it’s getting you dirty, clean it. They seem to run fine when dirty, but everything has its limits!

Finally, send it back for warranty work. Hi Point will definitely take care of you.
greg_r, sprechen sie Deutsch? Ich spreche Deutsch ein bichen. Ich habe drei Jahre in Deutschland gelebt.
I am definitely calling Hi-Point Monday.

·
Super Moderator
9,521 Posts
greg_r, sprechen sie Deutsch? Ich spreche Deutsch ein bichen. Ich habe drei Jahre in Deutschland gelebt.
I am definitely calling Hi-Point Monday.
Some, Family traces to Schlieren. Still have strong German ties. Only have to go back a few generations and the headstones are all German.

Reactions: CowboyBob

·
Registered
295 Posts

Also the mags like to be smacked to seat all the rounds. Just tap the back side on the range bench, heel of your hand, or the side of your head if you're of Polish background.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Good catch on both Cowboy Bob's and greg_r's part. Look up this posting. It may give you some additional tips.

995 - 9mm Carbine - 1/8 Inch gap to rack a round issue.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts