Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got out to Herb's yesterday, and you were right. I looked at the GSG, the 995ts, a WASR AK, and a Century Arms Dragunov. Out of the 4, as far as quality is concerned, the GSG-5 was the obvious winner. The 995ts was a disappointment. It felt very cheap (for the lack of a better word). Don't get me wrong, for $250, there's not much else out there. The Ak's were just plain bad, especially considering they were the same price as a GSG.

I also did some quick math on ammo numbers. A little over 800 rounds of 9mm would cost the difference between the 995ts and the GSG ($250). In contrast, the GSG would cost around $20 for the same amount of ammo...

So on that note, as soon as I get a bit more cash, I'm going to pick up a GSG-5.

BUT, have you seen some of the rumors about a 9mm version? And I have seen a few gun shops putting all there GSG's on clearance, possibly in anticipation for this new version?

PS. I dont mean to bash the 995ts at all. I love Hi-point and what they do, and I love my JCP .40

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Well I got out to Herb's yesterday, and you were right. I looked at the GSG, the 995ts, a WASR AK, and a Century Arms Dragunov. Out of the 4, as far as quality is concerned, the GSG-5 was the obvious winner. The 995ts was a disappointment. It felt very cheap (for the lack of a better word). Don't get me wrong, for $250, there's not much else out there. The Ak's were just plain bad, especially considering they were the same price as a GSG.

I also did some quick math on ammo numbers. A little over 800 rounds of 9mm would cost the difference between the 995ts and the GSG ($250). In contrast, the GSG would cost around $20 for the same amount of ammo...

So on that note, as soon as I get a bit more cash, I'm going to pick up a GSG-5.

BUT, have you seen some of the rumors about a 9mm version? And I have seen a few gun shops putting all there GSG's on clearance, possibly in anticipation for this new version?

PS. I dont mean to bash the 995ts at all. I love Hi-point and what they do, and I love my JCP .40
Where are you buying 800 rounds of .22 for $20? The best ive seen is 550 for $20. If the gsg came out in 9mm Id be all over it. The gsg is sweet but for $500 you can build a sick 10/22.

·
U.S.S.
2,267 Posts
Where are you buying 800 rounds of .22 for $20? The best ive seen is 550 for $20. If the gsg came out in 9mm Id be all over it. The gsg is sweet but for $500 you can build a sick 10/22.
When they are in stock, WalMart sells the Federal bulk packs of 550 for $13.47. At least around here they do.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, the $20 per 800 is an estimate. With Walmart prices you could do it.

And is this in the wrong section? if so feel free to move it, I just didn't want to post somewhere someone would be angry with me! 8)

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
WTF?!?! GSG-5 in 9mm? oh my god i would be so happy. it would get expensive though. i doubt it would come in under $600, and with ammo at $0.30 a round or so, i doubt i could afford it. sometimes a 10 round mag is nice for keeping cost down!

i have my sights set on the GSG-5 in .22 though. i just have no idea where i am ever gonna get the money for that. i really want a C9, but i feel compelled to buy another hi-cap carbine before some sort of ban goes into effect.

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
If you're just buying a weapon for fun I can see a GSG but there are a lot of different uses for the different platforms you mentioned. I have 2 AKs, a 995, and 3 .22 rifles. IMO, buy one of each lol. The most fun thing to do with AKs is upgrade them anyway, so as long as you get a good barrel you don't really have to worry about the rest of the stuff.

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
yeah, the GSG-5 would just be a fun gun. a .22 high cap carbine has few real world uses. i got the 9mm covered with the 995. IMO, the 995 is a gun i will always own, thanks to the warranty. the GSG-5 would be something i would buy, and maybe someday sell for another fun gun.

i do want an AK, but i can't have everything i want.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

Sure you can, just whip out that plastic card..... at least you will be well armed when they come and TRY to repo it. ha ha ha :devilsidesmile:

·
Banned
10,232 Posts

Sure you can, just whip out that plastic card..... at least you will be well armed when they come and TRY to repo it. ha ha ha :devilsidesmile:
you know, i never thought of it that way before :devilsidesmile:

my wife and i have cut up all the plastic. from now on, if we don't have the money, then we don't have the money

·
Registered
1,671 Posts

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
awesome. i am just assuming that they aint cheap. i'll put it on my dream list

·
Registered
602 Posts
WTF?!?! GSG-5 in 9mm? oh my god i would be so happy. it would get expensive though. i doubt it would come in under $600, and with ammo at $0.30 a round or so, i doubt i could afford it. sometimes a 10 round mag is nice for keeping cost down!
I doubt it would come in under $1000. The GSG-5 is really freakin expensive for a .22 The last one I saw was $580.00. Remember they are paying a huge "per unit" price to HK. Ramping up and competing directly with HK means that HK won't let them undercut by much at all if any.

That would just be bad business.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I talked directly to American Tactical Imports today, they say there will be a 9mm by next spring, BUT it will not be made by GSG (he specifically said GSG will only make .22's). It will be made by another overseas company. No word on price, but we should know by Shot Show 2009...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have to say, those Coharies ain't bad, but for that price you could get a HK UMP or even a P90 or something...

·
Registered
602 Posts
So basically HK is allowing "someone" to make a full MP5 clone, but they can't talk about the pricepoint!
I'd be shocked if it came in under 1 grand. Especially in this market. It just wouldn't be a good idea.

Might be good for those of us interested in some other guns though. There could be a 5 month drop in other small caliber prices cause so many people will be clammering for the MP5 clones.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.