Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone im looking for your $.02

I recently purchased a C9 for my first handgun and to say the least I like it so im going to buy one of the Carbines (i love the low price, i can actually aford to buy another gun lol).

But see here is my delima, I have been doing a lot of research on the different calibers. 9mm, .40, and .45 all seem to have their bennefits but im not sure any of them really matter for me. This gun will be used as 1. A range gun 2. A plinker 3. Small game (ratcoons in the trash ^-^). Stopping power dosent mean a great deal but i dont want something underpowered either.

So whats your opinion. Which carbine should i get... i like them all. Before you answer... YES i know the .40 has been discontinued and the .45 is not out yet but i am willing to wait.

·
Premium Member
10,372 Posts
well if its a plinker, just go with the 9 as the ammo is cheaper. There is more aftermarket stuff for the 9mm and a whole new stock is out now.
I had the .40 carbine and the accuracy was very good. But, I'd still stick with the 9mm. Just a personal preference I guess.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
My vote is with 9mm as well. I really don't follow the "caliber directly reflects size of owner's manhood" philosophy that everyone seems to focus on. It's a fast round, does plenty of damage and is wildly common/universal. Besides...you don't want every single firearm in your collection to require a different type of ammo, right? If you can buy (1) box of rounds that'll feed (2) weapons, that's a beautiful thing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One thing I might add is I want to add a scope and I would like it to be as accurate as possible. I love trying to hit the can off the fence :D

·
Premium Member
36,049 Posts
Yep, 995 is the way to go for your requirements. Cheap to shoot, plenty accurate out to 100 yards, scope and/or Red dot will mount right up, and you won't have to worry about buying 2 different ammo sizes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah i am almost thingking the same... and kind of leaning twords buying a used 995 with the ati stock to save some cash. considering they have the life time warranty and all.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You know its really funny though... I read all kinds of forms comparing the 9mm vs .40, or .40 vs .45 and even 9mm vs .45 and most lean twords the larger round... but everyone here seems to like the 9mm

·
Registered
365 Posts
All of the above? lol I'd go with 9mm if your mostly just going to use it for plinking, if your going to use it for self defense of any kind I'd go with a 45 but it's not out yet, may as well get the 9mm and down the road if you want the extra power you can buy a .45acp, but practice with the cheaper to shoot 9mm. Just break in the .45 before you plan to defend yourself with. Just my .02 cents

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Definitely the 9mm! And get the the TS stock, so you can add plenty of toys easily! That's my preference, but I will get the 40 when it comes out just because I already have the JCP and don't need any more different ammo's

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
is there any realy bennefit to the TS?

Is the gun better in any way. I have to know cuz the classic is 190 here and the TS is 275.

Can you add more toys to the TS then the classic with an ati stock.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts

Is the gun better in any way...
Well the TS has LRHO, and I consider that a big plus. Other than that, it's a matter of stock preference. Since I have the original factory version, I'm not sure on the 'how many toys' comparison, but my two cents would be that the TS has it over the ATI, if for no other reason than it's blessed by the factory. Since both cost more than the original, go with the TS if the base 995 isn't enough for ya.

·
Registered
85 Posts

Is the gun better in any way. I have to know cuz the classic is 190 here and the TS is 275.

Can you add more toys to the TS then the classic with an ati stock.
I bought the 995TS for $270 plus tax at my local PA gun shop. It was was the third shop that I visited, and the only one that could get me one. I later saw the 995 classic for $170 and the 995TS for $250 + tax at Cabella's Hamburg PA. The $20 difference was less than the $25 FFL fee and $35 shipping I would have paid by buying on-line. Gun shops in eastern PA don't get HiPoints, carbines or pistols. If anyone knows of a PA or NJ gun shop with them, let me know.

The 995TS must mean "tactical stock", not "target stock" as I have seen in some on-line ads. The 995TS has mounting rails, top, bottom and sides for all the tactical goodies your heart desires. It also gives the 995 a military look that increases fear factor, rather than a "planet of the apes" look of the classic. I have also read that the TS stock is stiffer, and it has a spring mounted butt plate that reduces recoil. The additional cost is worth it, as it allows the manufacturer to recover development cost.

As for the .40 and .45 cal versions of the carbine, they are vaporware, not available yet. So get the 995Ts, enjoy and be envied!

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
As for the .40 and .45 cal versions of the carbine, they are vaporware, not available yet. So get the 995Ts, enjoy and be envied!
Um no, the .40 is firmware...just the .45, but I hear they just found a large deposit of unobtanium in central Iowa so it might be out soon.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have the TS and the polymer is of higher quality as well. The pistol grip has some nice texture and stripling on it, the LRHO is a huge plus to me, it has a much better balance and seems to point easier for me as well, plus it looks like a scary black rifle to piss the gun grabbers off so thats a big plus to me also... It has 3 rails if you include the scope rail on top of the receiver, has a short rail right under the barrel and a longer one running on the underside of the stock in front. I dunno how much of them I'd use but it gives you options to mount crap later on and I like options. It does have a spring loaded stock but I really don't think it's a huge deal for a 9mm. I paid 240 for my 995TS.

·
Premium Member
36,049 Posts
Jcarver_14, if you want a plinker that will killl things as big as deer, or maybe bigger, the 9mm will do it.
If you want something that will kill things as big as a deer, but with more punch and at a higher cost, the JCP .40 and the 4095 would allow you to have a pistol/carbine matching pair, and bonus...the 10 round mags ARE interchangeable in the pistol and carbine .40 S&W guns made by Hi-Point.

As far as the silly comments about the 4095 being vapor...I have one. I know 10 or 12 people that have one, and there are probably a ton more in this forum...
but they are hard to find. But the new stock 4095-TS hasn't been seen yet for sale, AFAIK.
The 4595 is supposed to be coming, but no one has seen it yet, at all.

If you aren't into tacticool and rail mounted stuff, the old cheap 995 will allow you to mount a scope or red dot, and will shoot to 100 yards just fine. Some people prefer the looks or feel of the ATI stock, some don't. Some say the ATI is stiffer, I can't imagine what they are doing to make the OEM stock feel like it needs stiffened. I like mine just fine. The last round hold open of the TS is another tactical advantage, but not a big deal for plinking, or punching paper or pot-guts.

I have all three carbines, and I like them all, for different reasons. Any one of them will do the job you said you wanted done. Have fun making a choice, or do what I did, and get 'em all! :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you all for your input.

Ok so it looks like most of you favor the TS over the Classic but I’m still having a hard time seeing why the TS is better outside of the last round lock.

Basically here is what I am looking at:

995 Classic for $190 + $55 for the ATI stock = $145.
995TS for $275 = well $275 and a difference of $30.

Now keep in mind I am very very VERY cheap lol. So I need figuring out what about the TS makes it worth more than the Classic with the ATI stock.

·
Premium Member
36,049 Posts
Well....the TS is cooler? :angel:
Really, the new stock is better materials, and has some nice touches like the rails, nicer grip areas, and shock absorbing butt plate. But I'm as cheap as you, or cheaper, and I'd go classic if I were you. The new stuff, IMHO, the way I use the guns, isn't worth the extra money in your situation. I got mine simply because I could, and that got me closer to having one of every HP weapon. All I need now is the .380 Comp, and I have 'em all!

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts

You went to public school too!! LOL

The LRHO on thr TS is nice, but if the firing pin issue has not been resolved fully then it really is a moot improvement.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

You went to public school too!! LOL

The LRHO on thr TS is nice, but if the firing pin issue has not been resolved fully then it really is a moot improvement.
my bad i just caught my little typo lol

1 - 20 of 33 Posts