Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read in a few places that some people are shooting 9mm ammo in their 380.
I tried searching on here, but couldn't find much info.
Is this possible, or even safe?

·
Premium Member
478 Posts

·
514 Posts
Agreed. Shooting 9mm through a weapon designed for 380ACP is an accident waiting to happen. Weapons are engineered very carefully to shoot the cartridge(s) that they do. Stick ONLY with those. If you want to shoot 9mm, get a C9. It's cheaper than a trip to the hospital.

Cheers,
Kyu

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
DO NOT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

The sizing is improper and it WILL cause a breach malfunction and KB if you're not lucky. Some might of been lucky to pull it off once or twice, but that's the rare case. These are in different pistols for a reason, and the end result could be very dangerous

G

·
Thats one of the first things your ever tought about gun safety - never use ammo that was not intended for your spacific model of gun. I agree with the comments that TheGunMan has made.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I agree with everyone's reply, but............. there are exceptions here and there. Who hasn't shot 38 specials in their .357 mag??? I guess the bottom line is if your not sure, ask the pro's at HPPF.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Point taken. I was pretty sure it was a bad idea since there wasn't much info out there about it.
I haven't done it, was just curious.
Thanks.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I agree with everyone's reply, but............. there are exceptions here and there. Who hasn't shot 38 specials in their .357 mag??? I guess the bottom line is if your not sure, ask the pro's at HPPF.
The mechanics of a .38/.357 Mag are quite different than the 9mm/.380 auto loaders. The .38 is simply a shorter case, which doesn't matter much in a revolver. But length of case DOES matter in a magazine fed auto-loader. It's why the Nagant revolver can fire THREE different types of ammo while auto-loading pistols can only fire the one they were designed with.

G

·
The mechanics of a .38/.357 Mag are quite different than the 9mm/.380 auto loaders.
I do agree - and yes I have shot .38 in a .357Mag. It used to be much cheaper to shoot .38s than it was .357
I started reloading and then it did not matter because I could load eather for cheaper than I could purchase.
We are also talking about a wheel gun VS a semiauto - BIG Difference. I'm sure we have all seen conversion kits for shooting 9mmLugar ammo in your wheel gun.

The bottom line still stands 9mm and 380 are not a good match unless you like to risk your hands, face, eyes, life, ect.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
The .380 (9x17) and the 9mm (9x19) are different. Why would you want to run the .380 through you 9mm? It may not blow up in your face but it sure aint good for the gun/barrel. :cantlook:

G

·
neo finally you are not correct only round for a nagant is the :7.62 nagant . yea a 32cal will go off but led shards coming out the cylinder ,barrel space played havoc with your eyesight

·
U.S.S.
2,267 Posts
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagant_M1895

7.62 mm Nagant is also known as 7.62x38mmR (Rimmed) or "Cartridge, Type R." The projectile is seated below the mouth of the cartridge, with the cartridge crimp sitting just above the bullet. When fired the crimp expands into the forcing cone, completing the gas seal and ostensibly increasing muzzle velocity by approximately 75 ft/s.

The 7.62 mm calibre was chosen, in part, to simplify the tooling used in barrel-making and manufacture of projectiles-the Russian service rifle of the time-the Mosin Nagant M91 featured an identical bore diameter, being chambered for the 7.62x54R rifle cartridge.

Handloading supplies (particularly proper brass) which were once relatively difficult to obtain, are now readily available for the 7.62 Nagant cartridge. Newly produced 7.62 Nagant ammunition is now available from Hotshot and Fiochi, and used cases from either company can be reloaded. New empty brass cases are available from Bertram. 100 grain wadcutter bullets of .311 inch diameter are also readily available. Dies, trimmers, and shell holders are available from Lee and RCBS, once again making 7.62 Nagant ammunition affordable.

Other cartridges-.32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R Magnum, and custom handloads using .32-20 Winchester, .30 Carbine or .223 Remington cases-will also chamber and fire in the revolver but will not achieve the gas seal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts