Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not to be gruesome, but I have an interesting story to relate about 9mm penetration and ballistics. I am a Paramedic Supervisor and have been for 20 plus years, so I have seen my share of gunshot wounds, both fatal and non fatal. Recently, we were called to a "suicide attempt" by gun. On arrival we found that a search warrant was being executed on this particular residence, and the subject at home, apparently seeing the handwriting on the wall, allegedly shot himself. He had a Ruger 9mm which he placed (again, allegedly) under his chin and pulled the trigger. Normally, this placement results in instant death, but this time it did not. The bullet traveled up through the mouth, then through the nasal cavity and sinuses, then up through the frontal portion of the forehead, coming to rest just under the skin at the top of his head, just where the hairline begins. He was conscious and talking, and bleeing heavily from themouth and nose. He ended being very cooperative and lucid during transport, and information we received later indicated that he had sustained numerous facial fractures and an intracranial bleed, but will apparently fully recover, at least physically. Apparently he held the gun muzzle pointing straight up and not tilted back a little, which would probably have resulted in an entirely different outcome. Again, I don't mean to be gruesome, or in any way make light of an extremely serious situation, I just, as a gun owner (Hipoint 40 cal), found it interesting. Looking forward to your comments.

·
Registered
84 Posts
You can eat something as seemingly benign as a 38 special and they will be digging skull frags and teeth out of the drywall for hours. At that distance, any caliber will have disastrous effects if placed right.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
it is rather interesting that it didnt make it all the way through. Just goes to show you how dense bones actually are.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
The hardest bone is the femur, it is stronger than cement. The skull, as SW stated, is a close second. God designed an amazing protective case for the most important organ.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Wow. Well thats shows it wasnt his time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sad update to this story. I heard today that this gentleman passed away after lingering several days in a coma. Apparently he had increased intracranial pressure which put pressure on his brain that could not be overcome. Seems it wasn't the bullet that did the most damage, but the pressure wave from the bullet's discharge. Anyway, just goes to show that gunshots are not so easliy managed or the outcomes predicted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts