Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone with 9mm +P ammo recommendations for coyotes at 50-100 yards? Looking to help a buddy rid his land of predator coyotes, near dusk or dawn - no night shooting. I have a 995TS with red dot co-witness that is sighted in at 50 yards with generic FMJ, looking to test out some higher end ammo to stretch its range.

1. Guessing +P to have it shoot flatter, longer, with more punch. Just getting any 9mm to 75yds accurately is the main part.

2. Not sure if a heavier 147gr bullet is better to combat the gusting Texas wind, or lighter faster 115gr bullet is better for energy as ballistics seem to indicate.

3. Guessing Hollow Point bullets are good for that type of game (we don't want pelts). But maybe XTP, SP or other tip is more aerodynamic since we are near max effective range?

4. Prefer something already proven in a Hi-Point carbine. Not looking to test several brands for reliable feed or other problems.

5. My buddy who needs the coyotes gone is buying my ammo, prolly up to $1 per round including some for range practice and likely multiple hunts. So, I'm hoping I can still find some premium 9mm +P ammo even in our current shortage. Like DoubleTap, Buffalo Bore, Underwood, etc.

Please let me know if you've tried something that may work for me (or that won't).

·
Registered
76 Posts
Why not get a scoped centerfire rifle like a .223 or .243 at a minimum? Unless your positive of getting one shot kills on the animals.

·
Administrator
24,794 Posts
I'll be in Texas in 2 weeks with an AR15 with a 20" .223 wydle barrel and an AR10 chambered in .308 with a 24" barrel.

$100/hr to rent. $2,500 cash to buy. $25 a pelt if I have to put in trigger time.

:D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why not get a scoped centerfire rifle like a .223 or .243 at a minimum? Unless your positive of getting one shot kills on the animals.
It is certainly a good excuse to buy a bigger gun! I have my eye on a nice 6.5 Creedmoor combo if you will kindly donate $1000. Meanwhile, I will use what I have, since this is just an occasional thing. Hopefully a couple trips take care of the problem.

Not sure if my friend is interested in using poison, I will mention it. Since it is his land, his call.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I would use whatever ammo that is most accurate. Anything that goes through both lungs is going to kill a coyote, they aren't exactly grizzly bears. The hide/skin isn't as tough as a whitetail even. I've killed one with a .22 before and I've killed one with a .410 with 4 shot.

·
Premium Member
6,866 Posts
Are these coyotes being baited to be able to get that close in daylight/ dusk? Or maybe you have a great blind. Why not just throw out some poison and watch from cover to make sure a dog doesn't get into it. Here's a link to an article about a poison that kills the animal in 30 seconds. https://hofstra.github.io/coyote/sources/coyote-as-varmint/newspapers/arizona-republican-poison/
That is a Government project poison. Used by the Gov. only it seems in an experimental area of AZ.
Most States have strict laws against using any poison of any kind to kill even a coyote. Best to talk to your state Dept of Natural Resources first. Both fines and jail time usually occur if caught in any state with laws against poisoning animals.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks for the reminder OO! Yes, poisoning animals and the purchase of the poison would need to go through a county or state office. In my state you can shoot animals from Raccoons to Coyotes on your own property, without a hunting license even, if they are doing damage to property or livestock.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
26,003 Posts
Anyone with 9mm +P ammo recommendations for coyotes at 50-100 yards? Looking to help a buddy rid his land of predator coyotes, near dusk or dawn - no night shooting. I have a 995TS with red dot co-witness that is sighted in at 50 yards with generic FMJ, looking to test out some higher end ammo to stretch its range.

1. Guessing +P to have it shoot flatter, longer, with more punch. Just getting any 9mm to 75yds accurately is the main part.

2. Not sure if a heavier 147gr bullet is better to combat the gusting Texas wind, or lighter faster 115gr bullet is better for energy as ballistics seem to indicate.

3. Guessing Hollow Point bullets are good for that type of game (we don't want pelts). But maybe XTP, SP or other tip is more aerodynamic since we are near max effective range?

4. Prefer something already proven in a Hi-Point carbine. Not looking to test several brands for reliable feed or other problems.

5. My buddy who needs the coyotes gone is buying my ammo, prolly up to $1 per round including some for range practice and likely multiple hunts. So, I'm hoping I can still find some premium 9mm +P ammo even in our current shortage. Like DoubleTap, Buffalo Bore, Underwood, etc.

Please let me know if you've tried something that may work for me (or that won't).
I agree with the @riverrover and the @Rachgier that you really need a high powered rifle, but I like the detailed question and intelligent breakdown. Many here are getting good groups at 100yds (some get 2" groups) with (formerly) cheap 9mm NATO. I know it works well in my carbines too, I've never shot at 100 but it groups very well at 25 and 50. I agree that a hollow point would be better for this. The 124gr is about the limit, I think HP warns that most 147's are excessive OAL and cycle poorly. Someone else will likely verify that. Sadly, I sold my 995ts and never replaced it. Love my 4595 tho!

·
Premium Member
21,391 Posts
The older fella at the Sporting goods counter claims he has been hitting coyotes @500yds with a proprietary scope. .17HMR!

I'm no hunter. Right now in my area it's whatever happens to be in stock with the 9mm. JHP's are few and far between.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
26,003 Posts
The older fella at the Sporting goods counter claims he has been hitting coyotes @500yds with a proprietary scope. .17HMR!

I'm no hunter. Right now in my area it's whatever happens to be in stock with the 9mm. JHP's are few and far between.
Ummm, on it's surface, that seems to be challenging the laws of physics a bit. WAY more info needed, because it's more than twice the distance of prior unverified claims I have read. The longest shot even claimed (read it on the internet!) was 235 yd and dood killed a bobcat. It's not that the boolits won't go that far (they will) but a tiny 17gr to 20gr will not have much left!

On second glance, the claim is "hitting" 'yotes, not Killing 'Yotes :rotfl:

·
Resident PITA
15,961 Posts
Going after coyotes with a 995. Not wise. You do realize they shoot back, right? And they ain't using no Hi-Points.

You need a much better plan.

Because they are already three steps ahead of you.

·
Super Moderator
28,537 Posts
Going after coyotes with a 995. Not wise. You do realize they shoot back, right? And they ain't using no Hi-Points.
OK, that was pretty funny.

I was monitoring this thread and thinking, the poor guy got 2 posts actually answering his questions, 10 posts telling him he's wrong and should choose a different gun, and 1 post questioning his sexuality (I'm guessing - I kinda skimmed about half way through).

But at least this one was funny.

·
Administrator
24,794 Posts
OK, that was pretty funny.

I was monitoring this thread and thinking, the poor guy got 2 posts actually answering his questions, 10 posts telling him he's wrong and should choose a different gun, and 1 post questioning his sexuality (I'm guessing - I kinda skimmed about half way through).

But at least this one was funny.
You forgot the post about hiring a shooter...

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,882 Posts

I seriously doubt that. Whats the drop on that? 3?? Whats his scope the hubble? And is he by chance the turd that took his ball (account) and left.

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
I seriously doubt that. Whats the drop on that? 3?? Whats his scope the hubble? And is he by chance the turd that took his ball (account) and left.
You can't even see a coyote at 500 yards.
It's like a medium size dog...with camo

·
Premium Member
4,850 Posts
Sadly, I sold my 995ts and never replaced it. Love my 4595 tho!
You ever decide to get rid of the 4595, Mole, you'd best remember your spotter. He already has the JHP

Reactions: undeRGRound
1 - 20 of 90 Posts