9mm carbine ammo for coyote at 75 yards

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by HPlover, Oct 14, 2020.

1. HPlover

HPlover Member

Texas
    Anyone with 9mm +P ammo recommendations for coyotes at 50-100 yards? Looking to help a buddy rid his land of predator coyotes, near dusk or dawn - no night shooting. I have a 995TS with red dot co-witness that is sighted in at 50 yards with generic FMJ, looking to test out some higher end ammo to stretch its range.

1. Guessing +P to have it shoot flatter, longer, with more punch. Just getting any 9mm to 75yds accurately is the main part.

2. Not sure if a heavier 147gr bullet is better to combat the gusting Texas wind, or lighter faster 115gr bullet is better for energy as ballistics seem to indicate.

3. Guessing Hollow Point bullets are good for that type of game (we don't want pelts). But maybe XTP, SP or other tip is more aerodynamic since we are near max effective range?

4. Prefer something already proven in a Hi-Point carbine. Not looking to test several brands for reliable feed or other problems.

5. My buddy who needs the coyotes gone is buying my ammo, prolly up to $1 per round including some for range practice and likely multiple hunts. So, I'm hoping I can still find some premium 9mm +P ammo even in our current shortage. Like DoubleTap, Buffalo Bore, Underwood, etc.

Please let me know if you've tried something that may work for me (or that won't).

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    undeRGRound likes this.
  2. riverrover

riverrover Member

Why not get a scoped centerfire rifle like a .223 or .243 at a minimum? Unless your positive of getting one shot kills on the animals.

Silversides likes this.

3. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I'll be in Texas in 2 weeks with an AR15 with a 20" .223 wydle barrel and an AR10 chambered in .308 with a 24" barrel.

$100/hr to rent. $2,500 cash to buy. $25 a pelt if I have to put in trigger time.

:D

4. riverrover

riverrover Member

5. HPlover

HPlover Member

Texas
    It is certainly a good excuse to buy a bigger gun! I have my eye on a nice 6.5 Creedmoor combo if you will kindly donate $1000. Meanwhile, I will use what I have, since this is just an occasional thing. Hopefully a couple trips take care of the problem.

Not sure if my friend is interested in using poison, I will mention it. Since it is his land, his call.

6. I would use whatever ammo that is most accurate. Anything that goes through both lungs is going to kill a coyote, they aren't exactly grizzly bears. The hide/skin isn't as tough as a whitetail even. I've killed one with a .22 before and I've killed one with a .410 with 4 shot.

lklawson likes this.
  7. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

That is a Government project poison. Used by the Gov. only it seems in an experimental area of AZ.
    Most States have strict laws against using any poison of any kind to kill even a coyote. Best to talk to your state Dept of Natural Resources first. Both fines and jail time usually occur if caught in any state with laws against poisoning animals.

SWAGA, HPlover and riverrover like this.
  8. riverrover

riverrover Member

If you can scope your HP and shoot 5" groups at 100 yds that should be good enough if your target is only 75 yds or less.

undeRGRound likes this.
  9. riverrover

riverrover Member

Thanks for the reminder OO! Yes, poisoning animals and the purchase of the poison would need to go through a county or state office. In my state you can shoot animals from Raccoons to Coyotes on your own property, without a hunting license even, if they are doing damage to property or livestock.

10. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    I agree with the @riverrover and the @Rachgier that you really need a high powered rifle, but I like the detailed question and intelligent breakdown. Many here are getting good groups at 100yds (some get 2" groups) with (formerly) cheap 9mm NATO. I know it works well in my carbines too, I've never shot at 100 but it groups very well at 25 and 50. I agree that a hollow point would be better for this. The 124gr is about the limit, I think HP warns that most 147's are excessive OAL and cycle poorly. Someone else will likely verify that. Sadly, I sold my 995ts and never replaced it. Love my 4595 tho!

histed, lklawson and HPlover like this.
  11. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

The older fella at the Sporting goods counter claims he has been hitting coyotes @500yds with a proprietary scope. .17HMR!

I'm no hunter. Right now in my area it's whatever happens to be in stock with the 9mm. JHP's are few and far between.

12. undeRGRound

INDY
    Ummm, on it's surface, that seems to be challenging the laws of physics a bit. WAY more info needed, because it's more than twice the distance of prior unverified claims I have read. The longest shot even claimed (read it on the internet!) was 235 yd and dood killed a bobcat. It's not that the boolits won't go that far (they will) but a tiny 17gr to 20gr will not have much left!

On second glance, the claim is "hitting" 'yotes, not Killing 'Yotes :rotfl:

13. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Use a Mosin Nagant.. if the round doesn't kill it the fireball will incinerate it. :cool:

14. undeRGRound

INDY
    ...expecially the M-N Carbine :rotfl:

Charles Owen and Think1st like this.
  15. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Going after coyotes with a 995. Not wise. You do realize they shoot back, right? And they ain't using no Hi-Points.

[​IMG]

You need a much better plan.

[​IMG]

Because they are already three steps ahead of you.

[​IMG]

16. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

OK, that was pretty funny.

I was monitoring this thread and thinking, the poor guy got 2 posts actually answering his questions, 10 posts telling him he's wrong and should choose a different gun, and 1 post questioning his sexuality (I'm guessing - I kinda skimmed about half way through).

But at least this one was funny.

HPlover likes this.
  17. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

You forgot the post about hiring a shooter...

greg_r and lklawson like this.
  18. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

I seriously doubt that. Whats the drop on that? 3?? Whats his scope the hubble? And is he by chance the turd that took his ball (account) and left.

undeRGRound and SWAGA like this.
  19. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

You can’t even see a coyote at 500 yards.
    It’s like a medium size dog...with camo

[​IMG]

Charles Owen and undeRGRound like this.
  20. histed

histed Supporting Member

You ever decide to get rid of the 4595, Mole, you'd best remember your spotter. He already has the JHP

undeRGRound likes this.