9mm carbine ammo for coyote at 75 yards

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by HPlover, Oct 14, 2020.

1. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Upvotes for ALIENS reference :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

HPlover likes this.
  2. TDHofstetter

TDHofstetter Member

That's a BS article. No chance in the world is strychnine that fast. Thirty to sixty minutes are generally required before any clinical signs begin to develop.

Cyanide might kill within thirty seconds, but not strychnine.

3. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

You, like the poster, failed to notice this is an article written in March of 1920...

4. tsmith

tsmith Member

I would try a 124gr hollow point at that range. I have been consistently hitting targets at 50 yards with 124 gr+p rounds (iron sites). My favorite now is the old Remington 124 gr +p Golden Saber.

HPlover likes this.
  5. Twobits

Twobits Member

I use a Remington 783 in 22-250 for coyote out to about 350 yds. 55gr soft points at 3600 fps and they go splat. Have a 4-7x40 scope with trajectory compensator on it. Last year took 12 with no missed and no runoffs.

6. elcibolero

elcibolero Member

I haven't read past the first page of replies but figured the rest were much the same. First, what kills is a hole through the vital organs. At 75 yards, any 9mm will do that. If you can place the shot there. I'm sure I'm just the lucky exception, but 995 ts consistently shoots 1/2" ar 50 yards with the factory sights. 75 yards shouldn't be a problem. You miss the vitals it's all on you, not the gun or the ammo.

SWAGA and OldOutlaw like this.
  7. Jaybreezy72

Jaybreezy72 Member

Underwood Ammo Extreme Penetrator +P+. Available in at 115 and at least 1 more. I have a 10mm carbine and have have no issues with any of these or others.

8. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

You’re shooting similar to a medium sized dog. Shouldn’t be a need for anything ‘Extreme’ for $2/round.

TNTRAILERTRASH likes this.
  9. Pandaz3

Pandaz3 Member

I do not have a 995, but we have two 10.5" AR-9's and we hit 12" gongs at 100 yards routinely. Using 124 Grain FMJ. I have shot 124 Grain XTP +P in them, not that much just testing, they seemed to work but that range was a mx of 60 yards. I am sure they would fly and hit hard at 100. I used Underwood for the +P.

ajole and Rerun like this.
  10. Panzercat

Panzercat Member

^This guy.
    Coyotes aren't robo-bear-meat-tanks. neither are North American cats. Anything that will kill a human out to 100 yards will kill either predator.

SWAGA likes this.
  11. Twobits

Twobits Member

I wouldn't hesitate to use a 995 on coyotes out to about 100 yards. At that distance mine with open sights groups right around 2". Shots are even tighter with a scope on it. I just prefer to take them at a longer range with a 22-250. More of a challenge. I used to do a lot of woodchuck hunting and would never take a shot closer than 200 yards. Always let the kids shoot the ones closer. My best year was in 1998. I had 88 straight kills and none under the 200 yard range. My longest shot that year was a couple steps further than 400 yards. Well enough bragging. Like I said at 75 to 100 yards a coyote should be dead if shot with a 995 with any load

12. Twobits

Twobits Member

According to my ballistic calculator a 17hmr with 20 gr bullet sighted in for 100 yd would be almost 300" low at 500 yd and would only be traveling @ 450 ft/sec.

13. Twobits

Twobits Member

Couldn't find bc for 17 gr bullet which I would think would be lower and with slight increase in velocity would result in almost the same trajectory.

14. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I agree, they’ll do fine at 100.
    I load my 115 XTP’s up to just over 1200 fps in the pistols, but the carbine gets it over 1300, the calculator says that’s still over 1000 fps and 5 inches low at 100, carrying 284 ft lbs of energy.

Rerun likes this.
  15. riverrover

riverrover Member

Now I'm not so sure about 9mm. I heard that in Texas there are Coyotes big enough to carry children across the border!! Better be careful out there.

16. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

The man thinks his name is Quigley........

riverrover likes this.
  17. greg_r

FWIW, I use a a ROSSI 17 HMR with a BSA Sweet 17 scope for whistlepigs. The BSA does range to 500 yards. I have killed groundhogs out to about 300 yards. Milk jugs to 500 yards.

You need 2 things to hit with a 17 HMR at long range. A good rangefinder and no wind. Misjudge the range, or get a puff of wind, and I guarantee you a miss.
    16F4AB9F-D8B3-40C4-903F-075E257A1011.jpeg C8712B7A-5280-4B6D-9AE1-1B4FFC8AAAFE.jpeg

18. greg_r

Never killed a coyote with a 9mm, but I would not hesitate to use one inside of 100 yards.

90% of what’s been through my 995 has been my cast TL356124TC. If I were to hunt coyote I would likely go with the 115 grain Hornady XTP or the Speer Gold Dot, which are my favorite hollow points. When I shoot varmints I am accustomed to Bang-Flop. You get that with a frangible bullet at high speed into the boiler room. I somehow think a 9mm in any guise will result in tracking. The XTP or Gold Dot should minimize that.m

19. greg_r

As to seeing a coyote at 500 yards? Don’t know. Never seen one at 500 yards, so maybe I can’t. I have seen many between 200 and 300 yards, and a ton of them at less than 100 yards. I am thinking that maybe they have some sort of primitive cloaking device that hides them at longer ranges. It must be less effective as the range decreases making the coyote depend on speed to close on their prey.

back to reality. I can see groundhogs at 300 yards or more, coyotes should not be a problem at 500 if you just know what to look for and where to look.

20. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Last time I hunted them, we saw one coyote at 150 yards coming in full tilt on a call.
    Thing went behind a tree and never came out. Disappeared. The Indians say they have magic, they may be right.

We killed one at 25 yards. He was sitting up on a shelf behind us, watching us. I gave him something to look at while the teenager with us shot it using a Remington AR. A .223 to the skull tends to stop them dead.

Rerun likes this.