9mm Carbine Mag Question

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by arbud, Apr 29, 2014.

1. arbud

arbud Member

Just got a 995TS and have not shot it yet. Loaded the mags to stretch them out a bit. One of them the bullets slid in nicely. The other one after putting 3 rounds in I had to stretch the feeding lips a tad to get more in.
    To feed well do these mags have to be super tight or not. I know it may vary from rifle to rifle but what do you all think.

2. VinnieD

VinnieD Member

My carbine has never been too picky about mags. Before messing with the lips though check for something simpler. Make sure the spring is installed the right way.

3. talon

talon the banned wagon

until you shoot it, dont adjust, fix or otherwise mess with anything. how do you know if it needs adjustment if you havent used it?

besides, adjusting the feed lips doesnt make any sense. if the first bullets fit, and your using the same ammo, they will all fit, you just have to push the spring a bit harder as its a new magazine. the lips have zero to do with spring tension, and now, there's a good chance youve actually CREATED a problem once you go to fire it.

4. rickm

rickm Member

also the first few times it will be harder when u get 3 or 4 in some mags will have burrs inside where they punched the round count holes just take a pencil or something and work the follower and spring several times down into the mag

5. RobbK

RobbK Member

I have found it is the pistols that have the issues with mags not the carbines.

6. talon

talon the banned wagon

thats not true at all. there have been reports of mag issues with all HP's, pistols and carbines, in all calibers. its not a great design, and you do get some that dont work well. but, you still dont adjust them until you know for sure by actually USING them.

ive got 9 mags now for my 4595ts, 7 were trouble free out of the package, one needed some very mining lip adjustment and one, well, lets just say its a rusty pile tossed into the woods because it just never would work right no matter how much it was adjusted. but, i didnt know how well any of them worked or didnt work, until i fired them a few times.

7. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    But the carbine issues are extremely rare, while the pistol problems far outweigh them.

RobbK isn't wrong. You just got a bad mag.

I have 7 carbines and about 20 mags...they all work fine, no issues.

Except that Promag from back in the beginning.:rolleyes:

8. boicecf

boicecf Member

I also just purchased a HP 995TS ...I took it to the range last week, loaded up 3 magazines with my Butler Creek Lula loader and had no miss fires or loading failures after firing 80 rounds of WWB. I am a firm believer in "if it's not broken don't fix it"

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  9. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    Had 2 used mags come with my 995 and I have bought 7 new ones since. Never had problem one.

10. btolle

btolle Member

I always take a wood pencil and use the eraser end to push the mag follower to the bottom about 50 times before I use them. I discovered that trick after not being able to get the last round in the mags.

I very light spray of oil may help also. I spray with Remoil and blow all excess off with 120# air pressure.

11. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

I am wondering if a dry silicone would be a good idea VS oil. Nothing for crud to collect on.

12. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

I've tried it and its OK. I found gun wax works better though.

13. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    I am leaning towards DFL (teflon)

I use that on many friction items, and it has never failed me.

14. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

I did buy a quart of Motorkote. The G23 is getting painted with it this weekend, excess wiped off. Anything else that goes the the range will get the same. 4095, might take the JHP45.

15. boicecf

boicecf Member

I have 5 HP 995TS mags and as noted earlier by using a Butler Creek Lula loader I have virtually no issues (and no cut thumbs)!! It loads the mags with more consistency than doing it by hand! I also use it on my 9mm S&W 39-2 with good results!